12v fridges

darb

Where did you get your monitor from @darb? Looks like a good bit of kit to me
link attahced
Yeah they're pretty solid mate. Huge range, lasts for months on a pair of AA's (i use rechargeable freeze capalable niMH or lithium batteries for the freezer). I attach to the cage, or sometimes in the guts of some food if i want to know waht the temp is within the food itself. I.e its a bit warmer close to the tops of bins on a 40c day , as you'd expect.

the only thing that screws it up seems to be if i turn the WIFI module on in the fridge it interfers, presumably these temp sensors are 2.4ghz too.
Fortunately not an issue, i dont use the WIFI in the fridge

Last edited:

Rusty Panels

I'm way out of touch with what's good and what's not in the fridge department. I bought a locally made one from a mob in Sydney called Autofridge. That was for our trip to the Cape in 1987. The fridge was fantastic and way cheaper than the Engels of the day. The only other choice you had was Primus 3 way which were OK on gas but 12 volts was a big ask. What was good about the Autofridge was that it had what they called a "Eutectic" liner this was a gel filled band inside the insulation that froze and allowed you to leave the fridge off for a couple of days and still keep cold. I don't know if they still make them or even if the company still exists. I still have the fridge and it still works after all this time. I had to drag it out and fire it up after we lost power for a week due to the recent bushfires. I can tell you though that even back in those days Engel held the title for being the best.

Dalton07

As a long-haul truck driver, this 12 volt refrigerator from Dometic saved me more money than I spent. I can keep a month's worth of frozen meat for myself in this chest. The system is much quieter than I expected and it self-regulates, which saves a lot of power, thus saving my battery.

Last edited:

Swaggie

Yeah they're pretty solid mate. Huge range, lasts for months on a pair of AA's (i use rechargeable freeze capalable niMH or lithium batteries for the freezer). I attach to the cage, or sometimes in the guts of some food if i want to know waht the temp is within the food itself. I.e its a bit warmer close to the tops of bins on a 40c day , as you'd expect.

the only thing that screws it up seems to be if i turn the WIFI module on in the fridge it interfers, presumably these temp sensors are 2.4ghz too.
Fortunately not an issue, i dont use the WIFI in the fridge

Although mine failed out of warranty they worked well.This is what i wrote about these around 2015

Rusty Panels

i went with a CFX75 Dual zone
I bought one to go in the fridge slide on my van. The van has a 150 litre upright inside but we wanted more space for drinks and took a few pre-prepared meals in the freezer as well. I wasn't sure how the fridge would perform being in an enclosed space but it was brilliant on our Tassie trip. I set the fridge section to 3 degrees and the freezer to -11 and it was perfect. It also has bluetooth so you can monitor and adjust the temps on your phone (I didn't bother with that.) The car charged the system while we travelled but the van's solar system and batteries had no problems powering everything on the few occasions we went off grid for a couple of days.
It's only early days as it's less than 3 months old but we're very impressed with it so far.

dirvine

This topic comes up every few months and it amazing how people rate things. For example, I have had three fridges of Brand !!!! and I would never buy them again or I would buy them again. ETc ETc. Its just like what brand car you drive, and that soon takes on a deviation from the OEM post. When I was young in the late 60's I tried every brand of fridge that was available and would not buy Engel because it was just so expensive. In the end I bit the bullet. I still have that fridge and it still cools and freezes as needed. 52 years old and its only problem is it will flatten a battery just looking at it. Sure it clunks as I do rock hopping, but it still works and my beer is cold at the end of the day.There is a reason why Engel is still rated. Nothing has changed motor wise because it still works the best. Sure they change the cabinet etc but the cooling architecture is still fundamentally the same. If it ever blows up I wont replace it with another as I dont think I will be around another 50 years to enjoy its reliability. It seems to me that the best motors in fridges is the Sawafuji in engels and the Danfos in a lot of others. It then comes down to capacity and functionality for the purpose you need it for...ie fridge and/or freezer or both in one unit etc

dabbler

My only complaint about my Evakool TMX75 is the depth. On the back seat it's awkward to reach across and to the bottom. When the back seat is removed it sits low enough to not be an issue. On the slide in the tub it's fine.

It spends most of the time as a freezer and reaches the required temp in all ambient temps whether full or empty. It freezes water quickly enough too.

It works and was a fraction of the price of Engel. Now I have cash to throw around after getting my setup to my satisfaction, I'm still not changing the fridge for a more expensive option.

Mick_Marsh

I've got two.
The main one I take camping is an Engel. I bought it for two reasons, 1/ Engel has a good name. 2/ it was cheap (under $400 I bought it a little over ten years ago)
The one I bought a couple of months back is a Brass Monkey from Jaycar. It's a little one. I bought it for sanwiches and cool drinks on day trips. Works well. Fits in the car easily.