12ht Rebuild

BOUNCY HJ61

Greetings Everyone,

So I Am Faced With The Need To Rebuild My 12HT, And I've Decided Not To Try It Myself, And Will Give To An Expert.
( Would Love To Rebuild An Engine I Didn't Care About )

Got A Quote Today Of $6800 12HT Rebuild, Without The Injector Pump Or Turbo Being Done.
$300 To $350 Extra For Balancing
My Question Is How Important Is Balancing In A Diesel, Low Revving Engine ???

Should I Do It ???

Cheers Michael

Batts88

Good cruiser I had a 12HT HJ61 sahara for about 5yrs it's a shame you don't have a friend who can rebuilt it because you can pick up a complete rebuild kit for $1,250. So what happened to your motor & how many k's on the clock.

Last edited:

BOUNCY HJ61

Good cruiser I had a 12HT HJ61 sahara for about 5yrs it's a shame you don't have a friend who can rebuilt it because you can pick up a complete rebuild kit for $1,250. So what happened to your motor & how many k's on the clock.

Greetings Batts,

The Diesel Sat For 3 Years While I Rebuilt Everything (almost) Without Being Started Or Turned Over. I Can Only Assume At The Moment That I've Cracked A Ring, Because The Compression Is Down In No. 6, She Had 360,000 When I Started The Rebuild, Now 365,000, And There Is A Big Difference To How I Remember Her.

I Also Priced A Kit From Terrain Tamer From $1500 To $2000, But There's So Much Labor Involved, And I'm Also Thinking About Ceramic Coatings.

Cheers Michael

Batts88

By the sounds of it I'd put my money on just a rebuild rings ,bearings and probably just honing not a rebore and not reconditioning you would save a fair bit of dough and wouldn't be cutting corners it's only just run it at the moment their a good motor and not a lot goes wrong with them I would find someone who knows 60ser to check it out so your not spending money where it is not needed you should get 800,000km plus before any major work is required.

muc the truck

Greetings Everyone,

So I Am Faced With The Need To Rebuild My 12HT, And I've Decided Not To Try It Myself, And Will Give To An Expert.
( Would Love To Rebuild An Engine I Didn't Care About )

Got A Quote Today Of $6800 12HT Rebuild, Without The Injector Pump Or Turbo Being Done.
$300 To $350 Extra For Balancing
My Question Is How Important Is Balancing In A Diesel, Low Revving Engine ???

Should I Do It ???

Cheers Michael

Grinding a crank considerably alters the original balance. Ever wondered my a reco often never does the miles of the factory one? thers the short cut that often causes it.
also an engine with a ground crank with out balacing will have front and rear main seal leakage sooner than a balaced one.
A diesel has heavy internal componants so even at low rpm balance must be good.
I have had a few balanced engines over the years , they idle imiculatly and run smooth as silk , if you can aford it do it. Its a different kettle of fish but i still have one of the engines i had balaced . its a 308 , has done 330,000kms , owned it for 24 years and it still does idles sweet as coud be , can run down the idle to 350rpm if i want wich is a lot less than 900rpm as holden says. They ballancing reducses viabration and this reducs bore and bigend wear . Auto matic engines last longer than manuals as the torque convertor absorbs more viabration so if its a auto dont worry about it if its a budjet killer. only pay to get it balaced if its done with clucth fitted if its manual .

Last edited:

BOUNCY HJ61

By the sounds of it I'd put my money on just a rebuild rings ,bearings and probably just honing not a rebore and not reconditioning you would save a fair bit of dough and wouldn't be cutting corners it's only just run it at the moment their a good motor and not a lot goes wrong with them I would find someone who knows 60ser to check it out so your not spending money where it is not needed you should get 800,000km plus before any major work is required.

Greetings Batts,
This Is A Pretty Special Truck, And Although I Could Go Cheaply I Wouldn't. My Plans Have
Always Been While It's Apart, If I Could Make An Affordable Improvement, I Would.
Now With An Engine Rebuild - "The Heart Of Bouncy", I Wont Be Trying To "Bodgee" The Rebuild, So I'll Do It All Properly, Even At A Personal Cost.
Which Is Why I'll Even Go As Far As Ceramic's.

Cheers Michael

Grinding a crank considerably alters the original balance. Ever wondered my a reco often never does the miles of the factory one? thers the short cut that often causes it.
also an engine with a ground crank with out balacing will have front and rear main seal leakage sooner than a balaced one.
A diesel has heavy internal componants so even at low rpm balance must be good.
I have had a few balanced engines over the years , they idle imiculatly and run smooth as silk , if you can aford it do it. Its a different kettle of fish but i still have one of the engines i had balaced . its a 308 , has done 330,000kms , owned it for 24 years and it still does idles sweet as coud be , can run down the idle to 350rpm if i want wich is a lot less than 900rpm as holden says. They ballancing reducses viabration and this reducs bore and bigend wear . Auto matic engines last longer than manuals as the torque convertor absorbs more viabration so if its a auto dont worry about it if its a budjet killer. only pay to get it balaced if its done with clucth fitted if its manual .

Greetings Muc, And Thank You.
Definitely Will Be Balancing Now, Always Thought There Was More Than One Reason To Do It, As Does Ceramic Coatings Also Have Several Benefits. A Beautiful Donk The 308,And A Straight 6 Has A Longer Crank, And Being Diesel, More Compression And Force Applied To The Big Ends And Mains. So Logic Tells Me Even More Critical.

Cheers Michael

Last edited:

BOUNCY HJ61

.....Well After Considering ARA ENGINES,
I Will Now More Likely Go Through PENRITH ENGINES, Who Advised Against Blue Printing, Stating It Was Really Only Necessary For Race Engines, And Would Be A Waste Of my Money.
(Like His Honesty), But Highly Recommended Balancing.

They Use All JAP Parts, And The Only Draw-Back So Far Is They Use A 2 Stage Honing Process, As Opposed To New Machines Which Brush The Peaks Off The Hone Cross Hatching.
This Reduces The Need To Bed In The Rings, And So Reduces Ring Wear.

As Well As Penrith Engines Were $1500 To $2000 Cheaper, Depending If I Still Use Ceramic Top Pistons And Teflon Skirts.

Cheers Michael

joshinthecity

.....Well After Considering ARA ENGINES,
I Will Now More Likely Go Through PENRITH ENGINES, Who Advised Against Blue Printing, Stating It Was Really Only Necessary For Race Engines, And Would Be A Waste Of my Money.
(Like His Honesty), But Highly Recommended Balancing.

They Use All JAP Parts, And The Only Draw-Back So Far Is They Use A 2 Stage Honing Process, As Opposed To New Machines Which Brush The Peaks Off The Hone Cross Hatching.
This Reduces The Need To Bed In The Rings, And So Reduces Ring Wear.

As Well As Penrith Engines Were $1500 To $2000 Cheaper, Depending If I Still Use Ceramic Top Pistons And Teflon Skirts.

Cheers Michael
How did this go for you in the end Michael ?