12 volt oven

richardlnsw

No need to apologise. I just thought that you must have gotten a dud. I like the small marinated roast from coles or woollies, no more than 1kg (that's about all that will fit). I just figure they advertise 149 deg so even if it only got to say 135 it would still cook the roast.... just takes more time. If you have a long day behind the wheel it is perfect to pull up to a cooked roast.:cool:
And yes, I would like a bike like that and a chiko roll too.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

dno67

Seems I owe you an apology Richard. The grey matter isn't as supple as it once used to be. I went looking after reading a blank statement on current draw on another thread. I didn't think I had fixed this entry (The dreaded photofucket issues), but I had.

That gives you a good indication of both current draw and temperatures, and it's very much greater than the 80 degrees my faded brain cells seemed to recall.

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com/2015/06/rollin-with-chickos-ds-oven-review.html

That was a good write up, I'd forgotten all about it. :rolleyes:

Pubski

Ive have and my mates who i go away all have travel buddy's
They're probably next best 4wd mod to a fridge. Fire it up in morning throw some pies or snago rolls in by smoko or lunch (depends what time you set out) got an awesome snack whilst out on the tracks.
Recently did a 10 day tassie trip we pre cooked most of our meals lunch and dinner and most of them were reheated in travel buddy. You buy those lunch pack foil tray with cardboard foil lids make up your meals in advance and your good to go.

We also did baked potatoes in the oven before threw them in wrapped in foil a few hours earlier and by time we got to camp 6 out of the 8 were the 2 at front near door werent quite ready. But fry up some condiments and they were awesome everyone enjoyed it and would do again.

Mates done roast in them before said he used oven bag and it was beautiful. Yet to try one myself but this week coming up i'm giving it ago and in preperation i've made up these.
Message_1526615961598.jpg

80lover96gxl

Think it was Brian @80lover96gxl that said he had done hot jam donuts in his :):):).
I’ll give that a go too........yum
Nah no jam donuts yet mate but they most certainly on the list to try.
The best thing we've cooked in our TB to date would be a beef roast over 3.5 - 4 hrs cooking time and pizza over 1 hr cooking time.

We've done lasagne, casseroles, potatoe bake, pasta bake among other things and class it as the best edition to the 4B apart from the fridges mate.

ULost2

Never expected the thread to be still alive -- interesting reading
Stumpy has a "new" kitchen ; same as the last one but rated for triples so he expects to be on the stuart h/way a bit more .
IMG_0865.jpg

Currently heading to a station NE of Alice Springs -- great being paid to go places tourist (+ 4be drivers) have never heard of ; and likely don't want to hear about lol
And while on cooking ; nice drop of rum .
IMG_0864.jpg

Not many I can drink straight but this is the 2nd I have found at Dan's -- the other is Substation 41 ; produced by the breakfast creek hotel in brisbane .With over 200 rum varieties stocked it sounds a great place for Rum drinkers
Feels about time for a Queensland Coffee ;)

BTW: he can carry something like 2800 lts of diesel -- 3 or 4 side tanks up to 650 lt each + 500 lts under each trailer

Last edited:

MayJots

Hey guys, I’m chasing aftermarket Stainless Steel tray to suit the large Travel Buddy Marine Oven.
Does anyone have a spare pls?
Happy to pay whatever :)
Cheers, Josh

Jason Watt

I have a single Travel Buddy. Made in Bendigo (Vic) so I can support Aussie made products.
Best on-the-road hot meal heater-upperer ever.
From 4'n'20s to pre-prepped frozen full-on roast lamb/chicken/beef/pork dinners done in cheap foil trays.
I wouldn't recommend leaving one turned on for hours whilst camped unless you run a decent dual battery/solar/additional power source etc. because they certainly suck the Amps.

mac_man_luke

Hey guys, I’m chasing aftermarket Stainless Steel tray to suit the large Travel Buddy Marine Oven.
Cheers, Josh

You mean the ones that were on ebay? pity that guy stopped making them!

Pubski

Are they're still not for sale on ebay?? They were like $40 but being a fabricator myself cheaper and easier to make my own. Honestly $40 isn't a bad price.

barnsey062

Cheers, Josh
I talked to the metal fab shop up the road from me a while ago & he said if i measure the oven or bring it up to him he would knock a couple up for me in the folder at around $10 each, he said they always had off cuts of stainless laying around from cutting full sheets & the off cuts normally end up in the scrap bin,
i haven't had time to go back yet but you just reminded me with this post :)

mac_man_luke

I talked to the metal fab shop up the road from me a while ago & he said if i measure the oven or bring it up to him he would knock a couple up for me in the folder at around $10 each, he said they always had off cuts of stainless laying around from cutting full sheets & the off cuts normally end up in the scrap bin,
i haven't had time to go back yet but you just reminded me with this post :)

Yea that was what i was thinking, if i get around to it ill even draw them up in CAD and post the design on here for people to take to a sheet metal shop