12 volt oven

slivertoy

Hope you lot know all these pies and stuff you are heating in the oven is about as bad as bad food can be ;) . But I do have the occasional one myself :eek:
Mate i make them for a living, it covers most of the vital food groups in one Pie,
take our, two bean Mexican pie for example
Meat, protein Tick
Vegetables, tick, tick tick tick (onion/parsley/ black beans/ white beans)
Grains, tick (flour technically)
water, tick
no need to worry about all that other stuff like, 30% fat in the pastry or 40% fat in the meat and the high salt content when you have all that goodness of vegetables to offset it. :D:p:):rolleyes:
back on topic, i have one of those Jaycar ones and it does take a while to warm things up, but for the $$$$ and the convenience, i like it

ULost2

Whats wrong with wiring a bread tin to the exhaust manifold and wrapping everything in Alfoil and chucking it in?
Kids these days:rolleyes:
I used to (nearly) boil the oval quart pot (horse/saddle thing) on the farming tractor manifold -- those turbos run hot all night

ULost2

Mate i make them for a living, it covers most of the vital food groups in one Pie,
take our, two bean Mexican pie for example
Meat, protein Tick
Vegetables, tick, tick tick tick (onion/parsley/ black beans/ white beans)
Grains, tick (flour technically)
water, tick
no need to worry about all that other stuff like, 30% fat in the pastry or 40% fat in the meat and the high salt content when you have all that goodness of vegetables to offset it. :D:p:):rolleyes:
back on topic, i have one of those Jaycar ones and it does take a while to warm things up, but for the $$$$ and the convenience, i like it
I will stick to my truckie tucka or poor man's stew lol

stevemc181

I used to (nearly) boil the oval quart pot (horse/saddle thing) on the farming tractor manifold -- those turbos run hot all night

I worked on Seismic oil and gas exploration crews as a young bloke and if we were too hungover for an early breakfast, we'd load up some snags and bacon in alfoil and sit it on the manifold until mid morning when we felt hungry enough to eat! The good old manifold bbq, I was amazed at some of the terrain we covered and it was still sitting where we put it!

richardlnsw

For those that have said that they are no good for cooking I have to disagree with that. I cooked a nice marinated roast beef in the Simpson Desert. They get to almost 150 deg so perfect to slow cook the roast (about 1kg). Just made the driving a bit tough with the awesome aroma wafting around in the car.

Bomber2012

For those that have said that they are no good for cooking I have to disagree with that. I cooked a nice marinated roast beef in the Simpson Desert. They get to almost 150 deg so perfect to slow cook the roast (about 1kg). Just made the driving a bit tough with the awesome aroma wafting around in the car.
How long was that cooking for Dickie and did you use a trivet ? :)

richardlnsw

No trivet. Just wrapped it in foil. From memory I put it in when we left camp, say around 9am and it was done by the time I pulled up, about 3.30 to 4. Don't leave it on while stopped as they do draw a lot of power. I know that @RODEODAVE cooks a lot of roasts and stuff in his, he puts it in those oven bags.

Bomber2012

No trivet. Just wrapped it in foil. From memory I put it in when we left camp, say around 9am and it was done by the time I pulled up, about 3.30 to 4. Don't leave it on while stopped as they do draw a lot of power. I know that @RODEODAVE cooks a lot of roasts and stuff in his, he puts it in those oven bags.
Cheers mate , I’ve only used mine for pies and sausage rolls so far but I’m keen to try a small rolled roast this winter. :)

sharkcaver

Are we talking travel buddy or the DS type oven here? I've measured my DS type oven, max temp around 80 degrees. It warms things up great, and for what it is, it is awesome, but I kind doubt I could cook a roast in it.

Hot jam doughnuts, now I'm salivating!

richardlnsw

The same one as mentioned in the OP. from Jaycar although I got mine from Dick Smith. Cooked my roast beautifully.

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
For those that have said that they are no good for cooking I have to disagree with that. I cooked a nice marinated roast beef
Same, first time I tried it was on my way to the S.A. Meet last year. It was in for about five hours from memory, and you could carve it with a spoon.
I use oven bags now to keep the moisture contained, as I ended up with a bit of a mess that first time.

Mine’s a Dick Smith unit. Have had it since they first came out forever ago.

RODEODAVE

I have the dick smith / jaycar type and have cooked a small roast and marinated chicken wings in it .
I have found the oven bag the best as it contains all the juices , makes life easy when on the road .
what i also do now is cook extra meat the night before and reheat for lunch the next day , cannot beat a salad and roast meat sandwich;)

sharkcaver

The same one as mentioned in the OP. from Jaycar although I got mine from Dick Smith. Cooked my roast beautifully.
Jaycar/DS/Ebay, even auto one....they are the same.

I must have a dud. There is no way mine will get anywhere near 150 degrees. I'm not disputing your claim, but I find 150 degrees hard to comprehend??

richardlnsw

A lot of us have them and you are the first I have heard that can't cook meat in his...... you must have a dud for sure.

mac_man_luke

Jaycar/DS/Ebay, even auto one....they are the same.

I must have a dud. There is no way mine will get anywhere near 150 degrees. I'm not disputing your claim, but I find 150 degrees hard to comprehend??

Pull the tray out and check where the heater element is, when i bought mine it was off to the side and started melting plastic (and not heating well)

If anyone wants one of the dicksmith versions i have one that i used once. Works perfectly just wanted the travel buddy!

stevemc181

I've heard of a few people hacking the DS Ovens, and turning two ovens into one, so it has a top and bottom heating element.
I'm pretty sure I've still got one in the shed if you want to try it Sharkcaver? I'll dig it out on our next trip and you can have it.

sharkcaver

A lot of us have them and you are the first I have heard that can't cook meat in his...... you must have a dud for sure.
Seems I owe you an apology Richard. The grey matter isn't as supple as it once used to be. I went looking after reading a blank statement on current draw on another thread. I didn't think I had fixed this entry (The dreaded photofucket issues), but I had.

That gives you a good indication of both current draw and temperatures, and it's very much greater than the 80 degrees my faded brain cells seemed to recall.

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com/2015/06/rollin-with-chickos-ds-oven-review.html

sharkcaver

I've heard of a few people hacking the DS Ovens, and turning two ovens into one, so it has a top and bottom heating element.
I'm pretty sure I've still got one in the shed if you want to try it Sharkcaver? I'll dig it out on our next trip and you can have it.

yep, I saw that hack and I wonder:

is it really worthwhile, when you consider the volume concerned and convection which makes hot air rise anyway, and the then 10A current draw after the warm up period. A lot of power for little additional benefit I think? Mind you, in the link I provided above, the upper tray is only 60 degrees where as the lower tray (the heated one) is 120 degrees.