100 or 200?

boobook

LCOOL is the way to really research it. I don't honestly think you can get a good recommendation from this thread. Join LCOOL, there are thousands of posts on this subject. Tens of thousands of posts on the 100 and the 200. As I mentioned earlier some will prefer 100's some 200's and some people will have had, or do have both. It really is the right resource to make up your mind.
There is even a section on when the 200 upgrades came through. Eg I think there was a mechanical upgrade in June 2009. There were more significant upgrades in 2011 then 2013 I think.

Read through the existing threads, the Admins are strict on not making duplicate threads. It is a bit hard to get used to but it really works when researching like you would be doing. Invest a few days going over that site. Look at the upsides, the issues and the thoughts of owners. Even send PM's to a few owners if you have questions.

Last edited:

Zorba

Can someone here who has a 200 series confirm this please?
I was speaking to a dealer from interstate to me regarding a 2012 200 series TTD Land Cruiser and I asked him to check for blow by and let me know valve clearances (if their within tolerances). He got back to me this afternoon and said his workshop foreman says that all 200 series have blow by !
Well I didn't think that was right but he is a mechanic. So does anyone agree or disagree ? I am so confused
Cheers

phs

All cars have blowby
It's just how much

Take the cap off after it's warmed up if it's chugging away like a steam trains it's no good

If you want a comprehensive report ask for a compression test on every cylinder

phs

Hi phs
Forgive my ignorance but how much is ok? I want a Cruiser TTD with approx. 150,000kms

It's hard to explain via text I knew what my 1vd was like and I knew it was fine.

I did notice it was nearly non existent while cold but when hot you could feel pressure pushing out with little to no smoke

You could go look at a few and check all of them you should get an idea

Or get a test done

oldlux

My take on this is:
All piston engines are going to have some blow-by, the question is if its excessive or not? Spark ignition engines by their nature have a throttle body and the PCV system breathes into the manifold vacuum and generally in a good engine the airflow through the PCV valve exceeds the blow-by volume giving the impression that there isn't any. Try blanking it off or taking out the PVC valve and there will be some. With a diesel engine generally speaking there is no manifold vacuum so the blow-by is more evident especially when compared to a spark ignition engine.
The much higher compression ratio of the diesel engine also leads to greater blow-by so the decision is if its excessive or not? More cylinders and larger capacity, all other things being equal means more blow-by.
Dunno if that helps you but something to consider.

Reactions: phs

Zorba

Well boys just to update my journey to date
I found and bought myself a 100 series TD 2006, and I could not be happier. Found it locally and very low kms
Thanks for all the advise as it did present good points for both
Cheers

callmejoe

I just found a 100 series sahara 2007 with only 86,000km.... mint condition in out.
Not the 1 u found. ?

cam04

$31k!?! Who's doing that job?
If its just been dusted i gaurantee it can be done for far less than 31k.
New short motor - work done by Toyota. There is a labour component of circa $7k, but that is indeed what it cost. I'm sure it could be done cheaper, but that is the decision he made and it comes with full factory guarantee.
Then there's the snorkel and the new airbox and filter to replace the pathetic factory one which allowed dust past the panel in the first place.

80lover96gxl

Well boys just to update my journey to date
I found and bought myself a 100 series TD 2006, and I could not be happier. Found it locally and very low kms
Thanks for all the advise as it did present good points for both
Cheers
Photo's, we need Photo's.:)
Congrats on the purchase.