100 or 200?

Zorba

Hi
I used to own a 1994 80 series petrol wagon till it was written off. Anyway I want to buy another cruiser but don't know which one. I am thinking either 2006 100 series TD or 2008 200 series TD. To stay within my budget both would have approximately 200,000kms
Most of our driving is 90% bitumen but we do want to get off road more and plan to do a trip to the cape in 2 years. Is there any advantage to buying the 200 series? I have heard that there is more electrics in them to go wrong, and they are harder and more costly to repair?
The 2006 seems to have a bullet proof rep and seem to be more repair friendly? I do also like the ease in which the third row seats can be removed
Unfortunately most of my mates have prados so I need to find out from someone who owns a cruiser. The dealers don't seem to have a straight answer other than the one they are selling
Any help is appreciated

rob_macca67

Mate, the LCOOL forum would answer a fair few of your questions..... but for me I would get the 100's TD b4 the 200's but they are getting long in the tooth with a lot of kms on them and they are still asking a fair bit for them as well.... For offroad work in std form, the 200's would be more capable though....

Zorba

Hi Rob
Thanks for the reply, but if both vehicles have 200,000 kms on the clock wouldn't they both be considered as long in the tooth?
Upgrades for either vehicle would be
Steel bulbar,rockslides, and rockslides
50mm lift kit
Snorkel
under body armour
later down the track a rear bar with swing arm tyre carrier and long range tank

SPOD_Here

Have you sat in the 200?
I own a 100 and when I tried the 2, could not believe the difference. The 100 sits up high like a truck, the 2 sits much lower with high sides and a more car type of experience probably because of ancap ratings. Seems most modern cars have gone that way to pass the side intrusion tests. Decided I'm keeping my 100, 16 years old now and still going strong.

callmejoe

Heard of too many horror stories with high oil consumption, faulty injectors an dusted engines special pre 2013 on the 200's.
So looking at these 2 100' series hands down.

Albynsw

The 200 is definitely a nicer vehicle in all aspects but with all current generation vehicles you need to be prepared for bigger $ repair bills over the lower tech previous generation

boobook

This comes up a lot on LCOOL. As a rule people who own 100's think 100's are better, people who own 200's think 200's are better.
About 90% of people that have owned both think 200's are better.

If getting a 2008 200, check that it has had the scavenger pump replaced to reduce the oil consumption. It was a free Toyota fix in about 2009. Any 200 will use about 0.5 to 1l of oil every 10,000km.

Aaron Schubert

They are reasonably different vehicles, but both very good starts. There's no doubt that the 100 Series TD is one of the best motors ever made, and the vehicle itself is fantastic too. 200's are nice, but I would say more costly to repair should anything major go wrong. They drive fantastically, and are very capable too.

However, something no one has mentioned yet is the weight - it sounds like you are planning on adding a fair bit of it, and even on the 100 series which will have a higher payload you will probably end up over, or close to it. The 200 has a smaller payload. I'd go through the rough weights and see where you sit - you may need to factor in an GVM upgrade as well.

Are you going to do any towing in it?

Aaron

boobook

Actually while there has been a lot of noise about the 200's payload ( and it should be higher) it's not a lot different to a 100, GU etc. They are all same shit, different buckets.

For example a turbo diesel 100 has payload of 642kg. A diesel 200 has a payload of 700Kg ( 650kg in the 2008 model).
However a NA 100 has a payload of 824KG and a GU has a woeful 582Kg and a disco is 672Kg.

They all suck. If you want a good payload regrettably you need a GVM upgrade, a defender, a 70 or a single cab ute.

phs

The 200 series is definetly the go

If they still made the 100 series it would arguably be a stale mate but with all the 100 series getting on and plenty of low KM 200s available it's a no brainer

Zorba

They are reasonably different vehicles, but both very good starts. There's no doubt that the 100 Series TD is one of the best motors ever made, and the vehicle itself is fantastic too. 200's are nice, but I would say more costly to repair should anything major go wrong. They drive fantastically, and are very capable too.

However, something no one has mentioned yet is the weight - it sounds like you are planning on adding a fair bit of it, and even on the 100 series which will have a higher payload you will probably end up over, or close to it. The 200 has a smaller payload. I'd go through the rough weights and see where you sit - you may need to factor in an GVM upgrade as well.

Are you going to do any towing in it?

Aaron
Hi Aaron
I do not plan to do any towing but who knows maybe a small boat one day
I am leaning towards a 200 series now that my wifey has driven one. I am going to stretch the budget a bit more and look at something around 2010-2012 with no more than 150,000kms
I thought GVM upgrades are expensive unless they are done when buying new?
Should I be checking these for blow by? If so how much is too much?
Sorry for all the questions
Thanks everyone for their feedback

Aaron Schubert

Hi Aaron
I do not plan to do any towing but who knows maybe a small boat one day
I am leaning towards a 200 series now that my wifey has driven one. I am going to stretch the budget a bit more and look at something around 2010-2012 with no more than 150,000kms
I thought GVM upgrades are expensive unless they are done when buying new?
Should I be checking these for blow by? If so how much is too much?
Sorry for all the questions
Thanks everyone for their feedback

The newever the vehicle, the cheaper the GVM upgrade. Pedders suspension and ARB are two companies that do the GVM upgrades. You should look for blow by - if you can see anything puffing out of the oil cap I'd walk away.

I suggest joining the facebook page - 200 series landcruiser owners australia - its gold for information

Aaron

jz0m64

I still haven't decided what or when..... but given my 2005 hilux will be upgraded one day, I find it difficult to imagine going to an older car for the same or more $$$..... I will miss all the space a ute has though....

phs

You will find on cold start the 1Vd does not tend to blow any smoke from the oil cap but they all blow a little pressure once warm.

Check the clean side on the air filter for dusting, this can be an issue with the 200
Just lift the lid look in a wipe with your hand

If you can have injector values check and ask for the print out ideally you want them all with in -1 to +1 if there is 1 or 2 out of the 8 that are above its still normal a few towards -3 or +3 not so good, any above -3 or +3 walk

All in all the V8TTD is a great motor and has a lot more drivability than the 1HD
There are alot of them on the road and not common to hear of motors giving up the ghost

cam04

$31k when your second hand 200 gets dusted. A mate is having his Sahara done now. They aren't exactly a triumph of off-road engineering.
If off-road touring and long term ownership are key points, there is a strong reason the tdi 100 and 4.2 gu are commanding so much.

boobook

Join LCOOL and get opinions from owners if you want real life experiences. Dusted 200's would be a very rare event for a properly serviced vehicle out of 2000 - 3000 200 owners on that forum assuming dusted means stuffed.

Last edited:

80lover96gxl

Well never had a 200 series but have owned a 105 and currently have a hdj100 series .
The 100 is very comfortable and awesome for long distance driving. Good economy for a larger 4wd averaging 13 - 14 lph with enough power to keep most people happy.

Off road while maybe not quite as capable as most live axle trucks so far its gone everywhere iv pointed it from the vic high country, outback touring, many beach and dune runs down the SE of SA and some pretty awesome rocky creekbed crawling on private properties.

Set up with the usual mods they are and awesome truck. Most examples have now anywhere from 150k to over 700k + klms on them with very few failures from the 1hdtfte 4.2 td engine.
Im sure the 200 series V8 td are also very similar to what iv stated above ( apart from milage ) and with prices for late model 100's and early 200's being similar i think the biggest thing to consider would be repair cost's for either.

Take a few good examples of each for a test drive before making a decison would be my suggestion.