Search results

1. Mr Rum

Snow Run - August 2018

Jen and I were invited to join a small group heading out over the weekend in search of some snow (@Bomber2012 and his friend Herman). We met in Porepunkah around midday on Friday, and after a quick feed at the pub we headed off in search of a suitable spot to camp. As we stepped out of the...
  2. Mr Rum

Talawana Track, May 2018. The spinifex edition.

This report focuses on a few days of a recent trip, as we travelled from Gary Junction, to Newman, via... Gary Junction. Confused? Read on. Okay, well it all started in our usual Pete and Jen fashion. The Gary Junction Road was in much better condition than we’d anticipated, and even after...
  3. Mr Rum

Where have you spotted a 4x4 Earth sticker?

Now this thread may never take off, but I'd be interested to know where you've spotted a 4x4 Earth sticker. I got a bunch off @Grumpy at this years SA Meet, and I've placed a few here and there as I've been travelling around the country. I know I'm not the only one to do this either, as I've...
  4. Mr Rum

4x4 Earth banner

This one is for @Patriot . What do we, the NSW crew, have to do to obtain a banner for use at large gatherings to identify us to strangers/newcomers? Do we need to organise it through here, or can we go and have one made?
  5. Mr Rum

Spike...

Raymond “Spike” Bernard Dessert III Photo courtesy of linked article. For those of you who don’t know who Spike is, he’s the founder of “The Hoochery”, which is a rum distillery in Kununurra WA, and home of one of my favourite rums of all time. He actually passed away on the 13th of...
  6. Mr Rum

MR RUM to 2018 SA Meet...and home the long way..

This trip took me into five states, however I’ll put the whole report here as it was the SA Gathering that I originally planned everything around. My trip started when I finished work Thursday morning, and to break the trip up this year, I decided to first head to The Grampians National Park...
  7. Mr Rum

Desert driving, at night..

So who’s done any night driving in a sandy desert? I’ve wanted to do it for a while, and a recent YouTube series has convinced me that this is the year I’ll be giving it a go. I have driven in a couple of deserts a little after sunset before, but with the exception of one dune (Big Red), I’ve...
  8. Mr Rum

ScanGuage II

G’day all, Just picked up a ScanGuage II for $50 off a relative. I only really got it because the opportunity presented itself, and $50 seemed like a good deal. I plan to give the fuel guage and the adjustable speedo a go, but even if I only use it for reading fault codes, it’ll be a handy item...
  9. Mr Rum

Killarado...

I’m not sure if anyone here has heard about the “Killarado”, but my friend just got home with his a couple of days ago. Here are a couple of articles to give you an idea of what it is.. https://www.4x4australia.com.au/reviews/custom-4x4s/1704/holden-colorado-gets-ls3-engine-transplant...
  10. Mr Rum

Donations..

I'll be honest and admit that I don't read every email I get from 4x4 Earth, but I do visit the forum most days. I did just open an email though, and I don't know how long it's been around, but I only just found out about the donations page. I wouldn't be surprised if there are be others willing...
  11. Mr Rum

Keeping it light...

With the heavy topics coming up in other threads, I thought I'd ask a "lighter" question. As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I recently became aware of just how heavy my ute was when loaded for a trip, and was genuinely shocked to find out I was around 300kg over GVM. I consider myself to...
  12. Mr Rum

Camp Pizza...

I'm interested to know how others go about cooking pizza while camping. I've tried numerous different things over the years, with my best results being with a deep pan pizza in the camp oven on Saturday. I didn't think to take any photos before we inhaled it, so I'll make another one soon, and...
  13. Mr Rum

Mr Rum's 2017 SA Annual Meet experience.

Those who've met me in person would know that I can waffle on quite a bit at times. Well it appears the same goes for my trip reports, so be warned, this is a fairly long account of my whole trip. I'll try not to type too fast. Also, learning people's names, then working out who each person is...
  14. Mr Rum

How to charge your phone using twigs..

I just stumbled across this interesting little camp stove/gadget.. "The BioLite CampStove generates usable electricity for charging LED lights, mobile phones, and other personal devices. Burning only wood, the CampStove creates a smokeless campfire that can cook meals and boil water in...
  15. Mr Rum

Advice for chasing kidney slappers from the shore...

G'day all. There was mention of fishing at the SA Annual Meet that I plan to attend, and I've wanted to catch myself one of those whopper King George whiting since I was a young fella watching Rex Hunt. What gear would people suggest I take along to help my boyhood dreams come true?
  16. Mr Rum

4x4Earth and YouTube...

Not that I've put together or uploaded anything, but if in the future I was to make video from photos/video recorded at a gathering, and upload it. What "rules" are there about attaching the 4x4 Earth name to them? I was having a little play, and made an animation that I thought might be cool...
  17. Mr Rum

Change of plans.

I’ll apologise now for the length of this post, but I’ve enjoyed writing it. It reads more like a story than your regular trip reports, but that’s kind of how I write. I’ve included links throughout to relevant pages, and a map at the end with the points of interest. Anyway, I hope you enjoy...
  18. Mr Rum

Diagnosing A Potentially Faulty Aerial Whip

On a trip a few months back I became aware that my UHF range had become extremely short. Earlier in the same trip, I was able to communicate over a minimum of 12km in dune country, but it had suddenly dropped to less than 1km on open plains. I tried swapping from the 8.1dbi whip, to my 6.6dbi...
  19. Mr Rum

The ways of old.

I was just reading the latest posts in @rogerazz 's The Day My 1991 LANDCRUISER Troopy Died., and a post in there got me thinking. The post I'm referring to is.. I had a story I wanted to share without hijacking that thread, and also thought that with the range of different aged users on this...
  20. Mr Rum

Two nights at Yerranderie

A couple of weekends ago a group of friends and I had planned a weekend camping at Yerranderie, but half of them pulled out at the last minute because they, "Didn't want to get wet". To put this into perspective, it rained pretty heavily on the Tuesday before we left (three days before), and the...