Search results

1. R

Universal Joints

I was kind of surprised to see a UJ on a front hub. Is that common? I would have expected CV joints to have been used pretty much universally on all front wheels. I came across this video. (The interesting bit is at about the 13-minute mark.) I've become kind of addicted to watching Matt's...
  2. R

Some winch questions

I'm still learning about my new (used) car. It came with a winch. I asked the previous owner to demonstrate it. It had a couple of switches on the dash (an isolation switch, and one for in/out operation). It also came with a remote. The demo included the seller grabbing hold of the rope and...
  3. R

What do people know about roof racks?

My new (second hand) car has a rhino rack on it. It looks to be a good quality unit. Anyway, at the weekend I had the opportunity to use it. I put a large wooden bookcase on top. It seemed to carry it okay, but I wasn't game to travel more than 80kph. (Sorry to anyone travelling between Canberra...
  4. R

Vehicle modifications and buying second hand

My advice: if it's an engine change - walk away. In regard to other mods, consider the weight factor (of the mod and the vehicle) as well as the possibility that the mod may be breaching some regulation you may be unaware of. I bought a 2010 Suzuki Jimny not so long ago - $15,000. It's a small...
  5. R

Road handling on bitumen - slip sliding along.

I'm new to 4WDs. So, bear that in mind. My Suzuki Jimny is still new to me. Its been raised 50mm and has larger profile tyres (B F Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A is what they are). I had a not so interesting experience on a little run from home to the local shopping centre and back. I was driving on...
  6. R

Used car prices

I've just bought a car. Perhaps I shouldn't do this, but I keep looking. I bought a Suzuki Jimny. So, I find myself looking at other Jimnys and I found one at an online auction site a week or so ago. I bookmarked it and watched the auction yesterday. It was a 2021 model. Barely six months old...
  7. R

12/1978 Toyota Landcruiser (4x4) HJ45 Tub Back Beige 3.6L Diesel

Just for interest. This is up for auction in the ACT. Not having an air conditioner is definitely a deal breaker for me, but there's a lot of style with these old things. Despite there being a lot of photos in the ad, the photos of the underside leave a lot to be desired. I'm not sure whether...
  8. R

Suzuki Jimny engine number location

So, my Jimny hasn't been registered yet. It's been for a roadworthy inspection, but the mechanic rang to say he can't do it and the car would have to have to go to the government inspection centre. He said he thought the engine had been replaced for a larger engine. It's a 2010 model which was...
  9. R

Equipment and tools to carry (in a Jimny)

The following is a contribution by Bosanek on the Bigjimny site. Could be useful to compare to your own list of (less than) useful things. My smile turned to a laugh as I worked my way through. Equipment and tools First aid kit; Also a knowledge on how to use it; Knowledge of your blood...
  10. R

Driving technique

The Jimny doesn't have a centre diff. Is that common on 4WDs? Anyway, I quite like the idea. It means power is being directed to both front and rear axles simultaneously. So, I'm new to off-road driving. I'll no doubt gain experience as I go, but I'd rather not gain that experience at the cost...
  11. R

I only use it to pick up the kids from school

I used to know someone who proudly stated the above. They liked the idea of being higher off the ground. They thought it guaranteed their children's safety. Maybe/maybe not. If the centre of gravity is higher it'll topple over easier. Anyway, that's not my issue. On the used car market, that's...
  12. R

Suzuki Jimny - what's your experience with them?

During my reading of the 'experts' choices of what's good/not so good in a 4WDs, the Suzuki Jimny came up a few times. Three things stuck in my mind from their comments: 1) they'll go just about anywhere your regular 4x4 will go, sometimes easier 2) They're small - if you have anyone in the back...
  13. R

Some oldies for sale

I mentioned I was in the market for a used car. These are all for sale. Found them during my search. It's from a deceased estate. Someone must have been a bit of a collector/hoarder. Check out the 'Allbids' web site if interested. None of them are my cup of tea. Too much work, but I thought...
  14. R

Three old Patrols with low mileage

I just thought I'd point these out, should anyone be in the market for some old cars that look to be in good condition, but I don't really know. All I've seen is the photos. I expect they'd be in good nick because they'd want to be, being fire trucks. These vehicles would need to start whenever...
  15. R

Are LSDs being phased out?

The RedBook is my bible. It's an excellent guide to buying and selling. It provides an indication of a car's worth as well as various technical specs, including the standard equipment. (Assuming it's accurate, of course), and options that might be fitted when new. I find this sort of thing...
  16. R

G'day

The last 4x4 I drove was a J40 Toyota. It was a company vehicle and in my job I would occasionally have need of it. It was mostly for being able to get in and out of building sites. That would have been in the early '70s I think. It was a diesel, smelly, and gutless. I also wasn't convinced it...