Search results

1. 2

Tire size for Off-roading

That is right. I don't like exposing more of the sidewalls to the road surface. They were not designed to increase traction. On major dirt roads like the Birdsville Track for example, I reduce speed considerably and get a smoother ride. There is no need to air down. All the many sandy...
  2. 2

Sorry, our car is a 2003 Hilux, not our older 106 that I mentioned above.
  3. 2

Some tyre manufacturers , I think Cooper is one of them, tell you to reduce pressures. When I bought my three year old LN106 Hilux years ago, I replaced its worn tyres with standard size 205R /16 Goodyear Wrangler TG off road tyres. The hand book said 25 psi front at all times and 25 to 34...
  4. 2

If you intend following the TV 4wd hero's that you see trying to get through near impossible tracks then you may need something else. If you want to see the Outback and popular scenic mountain tracks, camping areas etc then you may not even need what you currently have. I have been roaming...
  5. 2

G'day from Hamelin Bay

I agree with you 100%. The damage that has been done to countless mountain tracks resulting in many of them being closed is unbelievable. Unfortunately the 4wd mud loving heros seen regularly on their TV shows are still doing it for all to see.
  6. 2

Custom Interiors

See if you can find companies that restore or build things like vintage cars, hot rods, boats etc. When you see some of those things in shows, their interiors look unbelieveable.
  7. 2

$20K to spend what should I buy!? (need dual cab with tray or tub)

Some parts often break but are fixed under warranty, sometimes after a new upgraded part is made. This is fairly common on new cars. Soon after the 60 series was released, I was sent by the Toyota dealer that I was working for to a technical training course at Thiss Toyota in Sydney. They...
  8. 2

$20K to spend what should I buy!? (need dual cab with tray or tub)

There is nothing wrong with dual cabs or any other types of utes or cars providing you keep them within their design limits. On my 2003 Hilux for example, the hand book says the maximum towing capacity is 1800 kgs and 180 kgs maximum on the tow ball. When you read through the towing...
  9. 2

Ideal tyre pressures

I have always thought the car manufacturer knows more about tyre pressures than I do so ever since I started driving in late 1963, I have used their pressure's and I have never had any problems with them. When I bought my 2003 Hilux in 2007, I thought the hand book pressures looked too low at...
  10. 2

Off road licence endorsements

That could certainly help but a Government inquiry into caravan design should come first. There are far too many with too much heavy material located up high inside, on the roof, behind the axles inside or hanging off the rear end outside. To make it even worse, many have trailing arm...
  11. 2

Ideal tyre pressures

When you decide on a pressure, you could try "branding" the tyres to see if they are wearing evenly. Heat a small flat head nail to red hot and touch each tyre lightly about six or seven times in a straight line across the tread. Check them regularly and you will soon see if anything is wrong...
  12. 2

Mansfield police again.

That reminds me of a senior ambulance officer that I knew years ago. During a discussion about car accident statistics he mentioned the accident rate with ambulance drivers and told me about the time in his younger days when the top brass decided to send all ambulance drivers to an advanced...
  13. 2

Mansfield police again.

The law is not garbage. The problem is the amount of prison cells they have to work with. Back in the days when I worked in the system, gaols were always full and still are today. The number going in each day closely matches the number going out. I used to occassionally look at the annual...
  14. 2

Mansfield police again.

If you were to put professional drivers into that car and a standard version then run them around Mt. Panorama at the posted speed limits, you would soon see why the Government and police don't want the modified version on public roads.
  15. 2

No issues with weights for a 200 series

They should not have any problems. They have obviously had a double GVM upgrade.
  16. 2

Road handling on bitumen - slip sliding along.

What has happened to you reminds me of a similar incident that I saw about three years ago. I was walking in light rain towards a two lane roundabout on a major road full of traffic. A modified Landcruiser came in at the same speed as the other cars. When it was half way around the rear tyres...
  17. 2

New 4x4!

Our current touring Hilux was ex Government. It came with split rims and worn out tyres that were a lot older than the car. I bought new standard size Goodyear Wrangler TG tyres and Michelin tubes for the split rims, then bought second hand Nissan wheels and new standard size HT tyres. The...
  18. 2

1993 toyota landcruiser 80 series 1hzf 4.5 petrol over heating problems

Why did you start with those parts? Were you just guessing? If so then starting that way can get very expensive and still not solve the problem. There are a lot of things that can cause overheating and some are not in the engine. Way back in the days ( 60 series and earlier) when I worked...
  19. 2

Tyre repair options

As I said in.my first post, ring Rema Tip Top in your State. They know all the tyre repair services that use their products and what type of repairs they do. At my last home north of Sydney, they gave me the phone number of their mobile rep.for my district. He turned up in front of my house...
  20. 2

Tyre repair options

Have a look at the endless amount of tyre repair equipment for tread, shoulder and side wall patches and plugs for everything from push bikes to mining trucks on the Rema Tip Top web site then contact them and find out who does major repairs in your area. They will most likely be supplying the...