Search results

1. S

Hilux sfa diff bracing and birfield/cv joint recommendations

Hi all, I have a bent front diff, passenger wheel leans out slighly at the top. I think it’s bent at the swivel ball It’s been like that since I’ve had the vehicle. Was stock and owned by an older man. I don’t believe he used it as a 4wd, but I do think he may of had an accident or slid into a...
  2. S

Hilux sfa diff bracing necessary?

Hi all, I have a bent front diff, passenger wheel leans out slighly at the top. I think it’s bent at the swivel ball It’s been like that since I’ve had the vehicle. Was stock and owned by an older man. I don’t believe he used it as a 4wd, but I do think he may of had an accident or slid into a...
  3. S

Black smoke all of a sudden.

Hi all. Just looking for any suggestions on what would cause my engine to all of a sudden become very smok Engine has been basically smoke free for an old engine (Toyota 3l 2.8 turbo, 260ks) All of a sudden it is belching black smoke as I accelerate. Don’t know if it is coincidence but I noticed...
  4. S

Ln106 33”s and vehicle longevity

Hi all. I’m probably going to be ready for a new set of tyres in the next 6 months. I’ve been slowly making my hilux more capable, while being road legal. its twin locked, pretty soft flexy two inch suspension with 31” km3s. seems to have really good traction, main thing is keeping the diffs...
  5. S

Can an intercooler be too small?

Hi. I have a turbo 2.8 (3l ln106) hilux. I’ve just had it Dyno tuned, they raised the max boost from 7 to 10psi adjusted the timing and no doubt the fuel, it’s dropped the egts about 30-40c. I’m not trying to get more power, just engine longevity. im looking at a top mount intercooler, it’s...
  6. S

New brand of oil staying cleaner longer, is that good?

Hi, I’ve just changed brand off engine oil, Both mineral 15w40. It’s in a dirty Toyota engine so it usually goes black pretty quick. Definitely stayed cleaner longer. Is that good, or does it mean it’s not cleaning the engine as well therefore not suspending the soot in the oil? Also I just did...
  7. S

Why did Toyota change the diff ratio on ln106 Hilux?

Hi guys, I’m rebuilding the rear diff With a locker in my 1997 ln106 Hilux. It has 4:55 gears, and the compliance plate matches this. In my old 1990 ln106 it had 4:3 gears. I thought that all ln106s had this. When I talked to the company sold all the diff parts to me, they said that 1996 and...
  8. S

Leaf removal safety.

Hi. I have the softest leaf springs I could get from EFS. Very happy with them. I would like to try the rears with a leaf removed for better flex. Just because I can do it for free and I just enjoy trying to enhance my vehicles off-road capability. I know it will effect its weight carrying...
  9. S

Bent my 3 month old Steering j-arm.

Hi. Bent my j-arm today. Again... In 4wd but not doing anything slightly hard, had my 5mnth old son and my wife with me. I know you can do hi steer. But as far as I’ve heard, you can’t get it engineered in vic. Also I don’t want any more than 2” lift. Anyone have any knowledge on Hilux j- arms...
  10. S

Hilux ln106 turbo replacement suggestions

Hi guys, My ln106 Hilux (3l 2.8 motor) Schwitzer turbo is leaking oil, from what I’ve heard this means rebuild or replace. There’s a lot of new ct20 turbos online for between $2-400. Pretty cheap, but I’ve heard they don’t flow very well and are a bit small for a 2.8. I don’t know if this is...
  11. S

Hilux ln106 turbo choice?

Hi guys. My Schwitzer turbo on my 3l 2.8 motor has been leaking oil ever since I’ve had the car. I don’t know a lot about turbos but from what I’ve read, if it leaks it’s time for a rebuild. There’s lots of New ct20 turbos online pretty cheap, $200-400. I’ve read lots of little things like...
  12. S

low psi in tyres, am I asking for trouble.

Hi everyone, since getting my 1st fwd a few years ago I’ve quickly learned the value of dropping some air out of the tyres. my 1st 2 sets of tyres I would drop them to 18-20 psi normal Bush driving eg vic high country. My current tyres BFG km3s seem to have a very stiff sidewall, a couple of...
  13. S

Cheap UHF is it a bad idea?

Hi all, My uniden 40 channel mic has died, I need to either get another mic or put that money to a new 80 Chanel uhf. There are some cheap options from uniden and oricom pricing for under $160. I don’t know anything about UHFs, what’s the reason there cheap? Are they not as clear? Not as...