Search results

1. Marck

How to save yourself a 50km walk.....carry a PLB in your vehicle

I don’t argue that manufacturing here would be great. But the fact is that we don’t want to work for the rates that that Would involve. Or pay the price for those products. At least if we have a solid research and development industry that might lead to cutting edge manufacturing here down the...
  2. Marck

That’s the Tech world inside out. Why devote time and money into developing a product when you can acquire an entire company with a product you want. You now have all the approvals the patent library and trademarks. That’s what google did with Motorola phones. Acquired the entire operation...
  3. Marck

How are these for brakes?

I recently drove 3000 km up and down QLD In our Prado it has the adaptive cruise and I love it. The point is you still have to drive the car but on the highway it’s sensational. Set it to the desired following distance I think the maximum is about 4 seconds. Set your cruise control and off...
  4. Marck

I was actually thinking the other day that I might throw the strobe off my life jacket in the car. Not so much for emergencies but those times you find yourself in the dark changing a tyre on the side of the road. Leave it in the car turn it on and then every window lights up without blinding...
  5. Marck

I Fully agree that if you have other forms of communication available that they should be your first option. I just assumed that would be peoples first choice. I think most people here understand that a PLB is not for your standard bogging or a break down where self recovery or other options...
  6. Marck

Now I can see why life seems to be hard for you.
  7. Marck

I have an iridium 9555 that I bought second hand. And only connect just before we go. It probably costs $150 for the month away. And when I go on trips I “borrow“ the PLB from my company vehicle. On one trip one of the guys with us young daughter got sick back at home. We where 2500 km...
  8. Marck

President Trump

He “tripped“. Your honour ......
  9. Marck

President Trump

I am glad that out of my whole post on trump the only contentious point was around death rates and Covid.
  10. Marck

President Trump

The biggest problem with Trump is a pure lack of class. He has proven time and again that he is intellectually the equivalent of a potato. He has let 242000 us citizens die from Covid through ignorance and sticking his head in the sand and saying it will just go away. He even publicly mocked...
  11. Marck

General advice on choice ...

GX prado. 5 seats out of the box. People complain about the price of a toyota but with 2nd hand pricing at them moment it is probably cheeper to buy a new one.
  12. Marck

Clunking after suspension lift.

The first shocks I ever ”upgraded” to where EFS. And from day 1 the valving clicked. It took me ages to work it out after having everything in and out a bunch of times. That’s many years ago from what I know now EFS is ok. It would only happen on short sharp bumps like speed bumps. To get it...
  13. Marck

Inskip camping

If you have 2 nights only go 1 night at Noosa north shore then jump on the beach and run up to rainbow beach via fresh water track. Spend night number 2 there. if your getting your car sandy you may as well do it properly. as for the rainbow beach camping I would probably pick a site on the...
  14. Marck

Inskip camping

Inskip is nice but if you can make it work I would spend the extra couple of hundred bucks on boats and permits and make the jump to Fraser. As long the tides work in your favour and your 4wd can get through the beach entry at Inskip to get on the barge you will be fine. Another nice spot up...
  15. Marck

Jokes

It’s withdrawals the old Tojo just needs its fix
  16. Marck

Drawers vs Storage crates

I did the cape for 3 weeks with 2 people in the Suzuki all our gear and enough food to last 6 weeks. We just welded up a steel frame out of 20mm box threw some 6mm ply on it and some Astro turf and strapped it down. 6 tubs under the platform for dry food tub of spares and tools ect. On top...
  17. Marck

Shock adjustment - Is it even worth it?

I can’t really find any real world user feed back on them being a fairly new product. Only the dribble from sponsored reviews. I am far from being caught up by the pretty bits. My focus is extracting as much performance out of whatever I buy on and off road. Understanding that It’s going to...
  18. Marck

I did. Controlling the washing machine would be nice.
  19. Marck

Ok so after spending a week on Fraser Island generously grading the tracks with my new 150 Prado I have decided it’s time to give the suspension a little bit of a tickle to get a little more clearance so I am not the lowest clearance vehicle everywhere I go. It was ok in the Suzuki because the...
  20. Marck

why is Australia so behind the times?

There was a great article about energy density of lithium batteries vs traditional hydrocarbon fuels. And from memory it’s a substantial gap. I a little sheepishly have to admit that I am not anywhere close to living as efficiently as I could be Energy wise. Most of us aren’t. My fairly...