Search results

1. Hoyks

Fridge not running on dual battery when cars turned off.

Voltage drop to the plug in the back? You might have enough electrons to get by with when the when the alternator is pumping away, but it rapidly will drop off once shut down and the low voltage cut out kicks in. If the cable is up to the job, it might be as simple as a bad earth.
  2. Hoyks

A solution to long distance EV travel

Getting the manufactures to decide on a standard battery size/shape/configuration?... good luck with that. They can't even agree on a standard for the charger plug.
  3. Hoyks

What is your commonly used recovery gear

I knew a couple of guys with them and they crapped all over anything else going around at the time. Even after the transfer case lunched its self and spat bolts out the side of the case. one still managed to drive it back to Brisbane. My most used item would be my winch. I don't get stuck as I...
  4. Hoyks

For people assuming they have a GCM upgrade

A bit of a beat up. Its been the rules around here for a while, while you can do a GVM upgrade of 10%, there has always been an upper limit to the GCM, so any extra capacity that is allowed in the tow vehicle has to come off the trailer. (from 2017)...
  5. Hoyks

Any free camp sites available?

and download the maps if you know you're going somewhere with marginal reception.
  6. Hoyks

Any free camp sites available?

Wiki Camps is handy or the NSW State Forest Maps have campsites marked. https://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/about/maps The northern side of the forestry road through Barrington tops was one of my Go-To places, there are some nice spots around Bulladelah and Forster too. Mostly I'd just go...
  7. Hoyks

20L metal water Jerry Cans

Pretty much a 10L stainless garden sprayer... with legs. Garden sprayers are easy to come by, around the $100 mark at the big green shed.
  8. Hoyks

20L metal water Jerry Cans

These are the ones to get: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122145467196 Heavy duty and basically the ones the Army issue, just with a plug for a screw-in tap in the side. The saw tooth pattern on the caps and the jerry and both caps having NATO Stock Numbers printed on them are good identifying...
  9. Hoyks

Extracta Hand Winch

Buy a 2nd hand one on Gumtree. 99.9% have had very little work and are at give away prices. You too can use it twice and then dump it in the dark corner of the shed because its hard work. Not much to go wrong with them, so don't be afraid of it being worn out. If the the jaws slip on the cable...
  10. Hoyks

All factors considered, which 4wd will get me more places?

A reliable vehicle being driven by someone that knows how to drive and has mechanical empathy will go furthest. Most outback and remote roads aren't hard, they are just a long way from anywhere. The side tracks of Wattagans is harder that 99% of Cape York. An old dunger will cost you money. Old...
  11. Hoyks

Being charged for exporting from your solar panels.

Spin. I was out west of Toowoomba and they are putting in massive solar farms, once they are online they will want to throttle the cottage industry solar to maximise on their investment. We are already being ripped off as if you get a quote for power supply to your home, the 'daily supply...
  12. Hoyks

Just when I thought I had seen in all

I thought this ARB Boot Swag was well up there on the useless meter, but apparently they sell them. https://romaautosport.com/product/arb-boot-swag/
  13. Hoyks

The Covid jab , will you take it ?

Not quite... Chance of a blood Clot with Astra Zenica - 1 in 250,000 with the pill, well you take 25 doses a month (+5 sugar pills), so thats 300 doses/year, then you're probably on it for years. Then the blood clots are different, generally in the legs, rather than the brain. But the odds of...
  14. Hoyks

Dual battery set ups - have I misused my own battery?

Batteries die over time. The happiest lead acid batteries are ones that are kept at a moderate temperature, don't get discharged much and are kept fully charged in between uses. Last week we had to change the batteries in a fire truck, 17 years old, always on a trickle charger or with the motor...
  15. Hoyks

Interesting Utube vids - just for entertainment, of course!

Thats just the Nissan experience. You'll probably make it home, or it will be an adventure.
  16. Hoyks

What Did You Do To Your 4X4 This Week? Include photos, if possible!

I pulled the front wheels off to inspect the brakes. 175000km and still on the factory stuff, so thought it was about time to run a vernier caliper over it all. Still 1.7mm to go on the rotors, but the pads are about due with a mm or two worth or wear left in them before minimum thickness. I...
  17. Hoyks

Is this the future of the car fridge ?

Its not an Engel :rolleyes:. I can see the attraction though, for a lot of people this would eliminate the need for a dual battery system and save them weight, if not $$. The size might be a bit big for them, but for something to drag to a BBQ or a party, it looks a good size. The 12/24/240...
  18. Hoyks

Blueish smoke from exhaust Ford Ranger TDCi 4x4 2.5 2008 ¿PCV?

I'd leave it how you have it, so it collects the oil, but vents the fumes back to the engine intake. All painted black, it almost looks legit;).
  19. Hoyks

What The Fudge?

mine doesn't have 1psi increments, hence the 14-16:oops:
  20. Hoyks

Catch cans aint Catch cans

This stuff? Yep, available retail at Supercheap. Its a 2 person job, one to hold the rpm at around 3000, while the other sprays it into the intake. The rpm goes up on each spray, so its a bit of a juggling act. It was pretty hopeless. It left the throttle body looking nice and clean, but a...