Search results

1. Boots33

Holden Colorado 7 / Trailblazer wiring for dual battery

It was aftermarket but I fitted the Anderson and wiring myself so not sure what it would cost to get it done. I'm sure most sparky's would be happy to give you a quote.
  2. Boots33

4x4earth competition - show us your best Creek Crossing Pic

March 2017 at Chinderah, the Tweed River broke its banks and cut the highway. Had to drive through nearly 3k of water. The people were in the motor home eating lunch!! There was water everywhere For those that know the area even the RTA weighbridge at Chinderah went under.
  3. Boots33

Spun Steel Camp Oven

Yum, makes me hungry just looking at it. That fire looks like it would do a good job of keeping you warm too.
  4. Boots33

Spun Steel Camp Oven

I am being a bit too cautious with the heat underneath i think, as you say practise should make all the difference. Looking forward to plenty of practise. :)
  5. Boots33

Spun Steel Camp Oven

Yep I can see that a temp probe could be useful for roasts etc.
  6. Boots33

Spun Steel Camp Oven

Finally had a chance to try out the oven using coals from the fire. Did a roast chicken, it was nice and brown on top but could of used a bit more heat underneath to brown up the bottom. Still it cooked well and was very tasty. The potato bake was a success, maybe could have done with a...
  7. Boots33

Spun Steel Camp Oven

I agree Swaggie they are all great camp meals to tuck into after a big day of adventuring. One thing I am loving with this new oven is the size. I have the 12 inch oven and it is huge compared to my cast ovens, I hate to think how heavy a similar sized cast one would be. I particularly like...
  8. Boots33

Spun Steel Camp Oven

They are made from carbon steel so yes they will rust if not looked after. Once seasoned properly they will be more resistant but you will still need to give them due care. If you are used to looking after a cast iron oven you will be ok with the spun oven. The main advantages touted of the...
  9. Boots33

Spun Steel Camp Oven

Have always enjoyed cooking meals in our cast iron camp oven, recently I was given a new spun steel oven as a gift. Never really given much thought to these lightweight bits of kit before but so far I am enjoying this new (for me) method of cooking. The oven is a Southern Metal Spinners 12...
  10. Boots33

There will be no more climbing on Ayers Rock

That's correct Drones are not permitted near Uluru. In fact other than in Queensland, in most National Parks you are either banned from using them or have so much paperwork to fill in that there is no point in owning a drone if you want to stay within the law.
  11. Boots33

Folding solar panel Blocking Diode

@Petunia Clearly you see some merit in how the diodes are currently wired in these panels. For the life of me I cannot see that they do anything of worth at all. So that I might understand your thinking could you please explain in the circuit below what function the diodes perform. Thanks.
  12. Boots33

@Les PK Ranger the panels are not from 4wd sc @Petunia I would be more than happy to let the charge controller do the blocking if it was a single panel. With two panels in parallel though it is a different situation, the controller will do nothing to stop a shaded panel from drawing power...
  13. Boots33

I have a couple of folding solar panels that I use when off grid. One came with our camper trailer and the other one we used when we had the tent, so they are two different brands. Both are Chinese and have worked ok so never really paid them too much attention. On a trip out west last year the...
  14. Boots33

Either system will work and both have pros and cons. The 25a dc-dc will struggle trying to run a fridge and charge the three batteries if they are very flat though. If the solar is permanently mounted on the van roof that will help. Also you will likely have a current sensor built into the...
  15. Boots33

Wimma, just about all vehicles these days have smart alternators, The RG Colorado's are no exception and have had a smart alternator fitted from the very first release. Unlike some manufacturers Holden decided to favour us with a charging profile that works well for charging aux batteries and...
  16. Boots33

You should be able to view the charging voltage on the dash info screen. My 2015 colorado starts off at 14.6v when first started then drops back down to around 14.2v when it has been running for a while. Without getting into the whole dc-dc versus a vsr debate if you have a charge voltage...
  17. Boots33

Big Red Bash

If you do take your own shower you will also need to catch the water as you are not permitted to let it run out on the ground. Those small round blow up kids pools work great for that. They have a disposal tank for grey water at most of the toilet blocks so an old 20l container is handy to cart...
  18. Boots33

Big Red Bash

We went this year, Toilets were a composting type that worked really well, much better than portaloos. Plenty of them as well so no problems there, also separate urinals as well. No showers are available on site, as you can imagine water is pretty scarce out there. You can bring your own...
  19. Boots33

RG Colorado BCM issue

Have never removed the bcm but like spooner i cant see any reason why you can't. I have however disconnected the battery on my RG lots of times and it has caused no issues. The only thing I have noticed is that when the battery is first reconnected the auto up feature of the drivers window does...
  20. Boots33

2015 Colorado oil usage

SomeCant you do have a great dealership to work with. Sadly most of us with the oil issue have had to push a bit harder to get some action . As you have said the auto industry is long overdue for a shake up when it comes to consumer rights. I still think this should have been a recall issue by...