Search results

1. B

New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

I reckon what is going on is the spring rate is increased when the suspension is raised. Makes sense for there to be greater air pressure to raise it up. So then the springs simply don’t compress very much. If so, it seems to be a pretty major compromise to achieve greater clearance. It’s like...
  2. B

Upgrading 2007 BT-50 Tyres

When I bought mine it was running 265/60R18 with +30mm offset. The tyres scrubbed on the body at full lock. Not on flat ground but as soon as the suspension compressed a bit it would scrub. I think the stock 15in rims are +25 offset so not too much different to what I had. Considering that you...
  3. B

2008 UN BT-50

I've got one of the same age - had it for a year. A few things I wish I'd checked before buying: - They can be pretty thirsty. Mines an auto though which are known to be worse, but you could get end up with 14L/100 around town. Since the tank is pretty small, that ends up being around 400k to a...
  4. B

Shock upgrade for old BT50

Yeah they are fairly flat but I think this is pretty normal for this model (https://ssa.com.au/solutions/improved-suspension-mazda-bt50/ ). The spring doesn't need to compress much before the short bottom leaf comes into contact. You are right, it is probably contributing to the issue. I will...
  5. B

Thanks, I'll give that a go as well. I am running 32psi and just checked and the recommended is 30 so that might help a bit too. Part of the problem is probably that the last owner put on 18in rims so the tyres are a bit low profile (265r18-60). I already plan on changing these to 16's as the...
  6. B

So, time for an update. I fitted them on Sunday and have only had a few short drives on them so far. The original shocks were not completely stuffed. The rears appeared to be fine. The fronts not too bad, but didn't rebound fully after being compressed, so had obviously lost a bit of pressure...
  7. B

Wow, that is a good price, but still a bit over my budget. Too late anyway as I've already ordered the EFS ones. I got them for $550 off another store on ebay. I will post up how I find them once they are fitted.
  8. B

Ok, I think I'll get the EFS shocks. Would love Bilsteins but can't afford them right now and probably overkill for my use. Cheers for the feedback everyone.
  9. B

Just the sort of info I was after. How is the ride without any load?
  10. B

Hi, First time poster here look for some advice on upgrading the shocks on my 2008 BT50. I've had it for about 8 months now and is used probably 45% Hwy, 45% country roads and 10% offroad. Generally its pretty good on the hwy but not so great on the country roads. It seems that on continually...