Search results

1. F

2016 D/C Hilux, VERY rough ride - springs?

Another little update... I welded up a 160L baffled alloy water tank to sit in the back right on top of the rear axle, to be used when launching and retrieving the boat and kayak for washdowns. Doesn’t take up too much room, and when filled the thing rides just as nice (if not nicer than) a...
  2. F

Hey guys! I finally got my hands on the wheels, after NZ went to its level 2 alert. A few things about them were surprising to me. First off, they transformed the ride. Yes, it’s still very firm, but a Lexus this ain’t and nor do I expect it to be; you can still feel every little bump but...
  3. F

That’s a really good point. Thanks! I’m going to first get the wheels, and if that’s not enough I’ll take it to a professional. I’m OK with getting the wheels because they’re actually original Hilux equipment :-) also from a 2016 SR.
  4. F

Thanks heaps y’all! I’ve tracked down a set of 17” wheels for reasonably cheap, unfortunately I couldn’t find anyone who would let me borrow a set. I recall from riding in a coworker’s one with 18’s that it was quite nice, so have pulled the trigger on these knowing that even if they’re not...
  5. F

Thanks guys, heaps of useful info here! Some replies/questions below; as of right now, it sounds like my plan should be to 1) ditch the 20's and go to standard Hilux size wheels (265/65/17), then drive it for a while and see if that's acceptable; if not, 2) replace the rear shocks with...
  6. F

I actually keep them that high to keep them round, as stupid as that sounds :D At 32psi at the front and higher speeds there's a nasty wheel wobble. 38+ PSI straightens that out. The change in pressure from 32 to 38 (front or rear) doesn't seem to make much of a difference to ride quality...
  7. F

Also, here are some more pics of the situation. First is showing ride height difference on level ground, then some more of the springs looking rearward this time.
  8. F

Thanks heaps for all the info! Some replies and questions... please don't laugh too hard, I am a total newbie with 4x4's. This is the first one I've ever had and I have no idea what most things mean! Genius :D Will do, thanks! I had a look at some pics on the interwebs, these look similar but...
  9. F

Thanks for the fast responses! :) That's something I've heard before - what sort of difference do they make? Would they actually smoothen out a ride, or just the rebound control? Gotcha - I do wonder if the previous owner had modified the suspension. It just seems a little _too_ high in the...
  10. F

Yeah, that's what gets me - that works out to about 160kg plus the weight of the drums. I recently did a long trip to pick up an outboard motor - with the canopy of 60kg, the engine at 140kg, load in the cab of 120kg plus another ~100kg in miscellaneous cargo in the tray making ~420kg total...
  11. F

Hi guys, Occasional browser, first-time poster :) I've got a 2016 Hilux 4x4 D/C, GUN126 if I remember right. It rides VERY rough. Spine-jarringly, bone-shakingly rough. I've done a lot of searching on the subject, but I've never found someone with the same problem with exactly the same setup...