Search results

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse's 1HD-T 80 Series 'Tank'

Second side finished and primed: Started playing with concepts for a spare carrier location as well. Mounting on the corner means I can brace the 'hub' face back along the front face for strength as well: "Side note, the total width is now going to be 2200mm on the dot." The significance of...
  2. DarkHorse

So the plan today was to weld up the second mudguard/wheel arch and get that primed before I had to finish early for a TAFE Zoom class. Yeah, that didn't happen. Instead I got very carried away with this: Still working exclusively from workshop scraps, and designing as I go rather than...
  3. DarkHorse

Irritating drive to Ballarat today. I was running off the sub tank, about half full after a 20L top-up just after leaving home. Main pretty much completely empty. Drove fine in 60kmh (3rd/4th gear) suburbia, and 80kmh 5th gear freeway. Once I got up to 100-110kmh and around 2500-2800rpm things...
  4. DarkHorse

Much slower day than I was expecting today, but did get one side finished and primed. Braces every 400ish mm. I thought about adding diagonals, but once it's sheeted I don't think they would achieve anything except extra weight. Bigger beefier centre brace triangulated down to the middle...
  5. DarkHorse

Well this was Ballarat thismorning: Tank fired up first kick, so I'm counting that as a win. Attacked the mudguards for the trailer today. Trying to make them look legit, be as strong as possible while keeping weight and dimensions to a minimum. My original size estimates ended up being...
  6. DarkHorse

Got the starter contacts and plunger replaced today - the old girl has been increasingly reluctant to start, especially first thing in the morning. Getting the starter motor out was nice and easy - one nut, one bolt, two cables, lift out past the oil filter. Three little bolts and the cover...
  7. DarkHorse

Haha - so the interesting stuff? That'd be right. Copy and pasted from another forum... I can see them so that's a bit weird. I'll work through and upload directly. UPDATE: hopefully that's fixed it. Next on the list is mudguards, incorporating housings for lights, plus a spare wheel mount...
  8. DarkHorse

Then a day of filling gaps and tidying bits up: Utterly OTT for a crappy trailer, but as with most of my projects I view it as an exercise in skill development/refining: Clearance now much happier... Mostly. Zirks might get removed and plug bolts put in instead... but she rolls really...
  9. DarkHorse

This was the issue: Because some idiot measured the axle lengths by the bottom of the tray body... since that's where the suspension bolts to... without realising that that sides step outwards almost exactly that 30mm that I had allowed for clearance: So I figured the path of least...
  10. DarkHorse

I ended up buying a full 2T tandem kit with Koyo bearings, 100mm drop axles, elec drum brakes and springs/hubs to suit from Huntsman so everything would be new and everything would fit. Finally got around to overhaul #2. Started with this: Forklift was handy to get it on it's back and all the...
  11. DarkHorse

I got it regoed in Vic but then unfortunately it sat around not doing much for a while. I used it for it's primary intended purpose of getting the bike to and from one track day before the bike was stolen. Next use was a load of bricks to pave my backyard - bricks were advertised as "mostly...
  12. DarkHorse

I'm gonna dump this in here, so I'vegot a record of it consolidated in one place, and it because I'm not on any trailer forums but it's vaguely relevant here. BACKSTORY: I bought the trailer originally as a means to get the bike and my tools from Sydney to Melbourne when I moved down for work...
  13. DarkHorse

Drove the 125km to and from Ballarat this week, and car was much happier for the run. Aside from a slightly heavier feeling throttle (likely my inaccuracy remaking the linkage) and a sketchy feeling under heavy breaking (hopefully because of my dead-straight kerbside alignment instead of the...
  14. DarkHorse

OK, it's all bolted back up, checked, run and test driven: - coolant flushed, new rad hoses, system bled - steering aligned (kerbside stringline job, but feels OK) cooler is shedding heat, and no leaks - all bolts checked, splash guards bolted back on - new trailer plug installed - new starter...
  15. DarkHorse

Still feels like baby steps... but progress is progress... Cooler is mounted and sits really nicely all plumbed up: Steering system filled and bled, balljoints greased, and all seems happy and smooth from lock to lock. I think I might be one spline out reconnecting the input yoke on the box...
  16. DarkHorse

Not sure of much when it comes to TIG - it's all very new. I've managed to at least get something happening with both mild and stainless steel, but this was the first time trying ally. I tried with pure Argon, and it wasn't having a bar of it. Plenty of heat, but no puddle so the metal would...
  17. DarkHorse

Another frustrating afternoon fighting with welders - I don't have pure helium so HF TIG on Aluminium doesn't work. Thankfully pure Argon for MIG does... sort-of. So while again I am not proud of the results, and I'll spare you the ugliness on the back, the PS cooler is finally ready to mount...
  18. DarkHorse

Few more baby steps today... Panhard back in, with a bit of creative jacking and a ratchet strap from one side of the chassis to the opposite side of the diff: Cruise control vac line teed into the feed from the pump to the reservoir: After looking at a million parts diagrams I still...
  19. DarkHorse

Some minor progress today, but any movement is good psychologically. Driveshafts bolted back in. Panhard bushes pressed in and a quick splash of paint. Rough steering alignment done, though not finalised given lack of panhard. Steering cooler finally arrived. This thing is a whole lot bigger...
  20. DarkHorse

Winch Warranty's - Who to Support and When to Walk, Warn,Runva,Ironman,Carbon,Tmax etc

Being made in China doesn't necessarily make things crap. It is possible to maintain levels of materials and manufacturing quality control, but that costs money to do.