Search results

1. TimNWVic

Best rim diameter

Yep, had a play out in Sunset NP last weekend which got me inspired to tackle the Simpson, I've been talking about it since I bought the ute. I have a repair kit but should invest in a better one. It's ok for plugging mower tyres but I've never had to plug a 4wd tyre. Sort of a side topic - I...
  2. TimNWVic

Best rim diameter

Regarding the extra weight of a 2nd spare vs one spare and TPMS - I'd just be more comfortable with a backup to the backup ie 2 spares plus TPMS. That's probably my inexperience in true outback roads breeding some anxiety, but I figure I'll be more relaxed if I know I'm well prepared. I...
  3. TimNWVic

Best rim diameter

265/70-17 seems like a good size but I could probably fit the 285 in as well, 2" lift. I reckon I'll buy a new set of steel wheels and tyres in 17", then part fund it by selling the Wildtrack rims. There's a few used 17" options up here in FB marketplace, but I can't be stuffed dealing with it.
  4. TimNWVic

Best rim diameter

Yeah considered that, but if I have a 6th rim and tyre I'll want to rotate it with the others, so it will look strange having one different wheel. So cheap steelies I feel is a better option.
  5. TimNWVic

Best rim diameter

That's a good point. It came stock with 17's so that might be the safe choice.
  6. TimNWVic

Best rim diameter

I have a 2020 Ranger that came with 18" Wildtrack rims. I didn't order them as I was happy with the 17" stock XLT rims but when I got to the dealer to pick it up they were fitted, no charge - it looked good so I took the vehicle home. I've been running Cooper ST/Maxx in 276/65-18 (32") which...
  7. TimNWVic

Water levels in the Murray

No problem, was responding to the bold bit. There was a lot of water around in '56, for sure, before my time but my parents and grandparents were living on the Murray during it. Fair bit around now too!
  8. TimNWVic

Forbes flooding will end up in the Lachlan River, which flows into the Great Cumbung Swamp north of Balranald, then maybe if it's enough water into the Murrumbidgee and then Murray. https://www.mdba.gov.au/sites/default/files/pubs/regional-fact-sheet-lachlan.pdf Any flooding north of Parkes...
  9. TimNWVic

An interesting fact I found recently for South Aussies that may not be aware of the history... In '56 the Darling anabranch flowed a lot of water through to the Murray - it enters downstream of Wentworth so Wentworth and Mildura missed a lot of the water. They are currently predicting daily...
  10. TimNWVic

The river is pumping at Mildura now, about a week away from the peak. It's incredible to see the normally placid river I cross every day rushing past in a boiling torrent. Wentworth peak early December. Probably not going to get to '56 levels but not far off, never thought I'd see it. My...
  11. TimNWVic

Lowering with a winch

It's not a common occurence - lifted and lowered maybe once every few years, once a year at most.
  12. TimNWVic

Lowering with a winch

OK, thanks. It's only about 8-10m to move at one time but appreciate the heads up on temperatures I'll keep an eye on that. Noted on the safety aspect. I would think it's a safety upgrade as currently the tractor driver can't see the pump and other person (it's over the top of the river bank)...
  13. TimNWVic

Lowering with a winch

I just had to lift my river pump up as the river is rising - I currently use 2 winch extension straps attached to a tractor to slide the pump sled up the rails. It works but it's a 2 person job, and getting the sled aligned with the bolt holes is a prick of a job as the extension straps stretch...
  14. TimNWVic

Dropped towbar options

https://www.outbackarmour.com.au/suspension/110-180-140-001/OASU924800H-ADJ Correction Components & Parts Centre Bearing Spacer Kit OASU3748001x1kit Should have come with this spacer according to their site. My installer said it was included but I'll be honest I haven't had a close look at...
  15. TimNWVic

Dropped towbar options

I'm running about 250-300kg constant in the back with my canopy, toolboxes, tools and compressor, water, 135aH AGM battery, LR tank, fridge. It sits at a good angle, I didn't measure the rear before install but the vehicle looks and feels balanced and it's about 40mm higher than spec at the...
  16. TimNWVic

What Cheeses Me Off!!!!

"The fine for an unauthorised domestic animal is $137." Should add at least another zero to that.
  17. TimNWVic

Don't lose a finger - Closed winching system

Couldn't the winch rope eye just be hooked over a suitable fixed hook or something welded to the front of the winch body, or somewhere, to achieve this? Or a nylon strap in the eye just for his purpose. Seems like if that's the only reason to have the hook it wouldn't be hard to find an...
  18. TimNWVic

Don't lose a finger - Closed winching system

Ok, I'll advertise my ignorance.... Apart from boats/cars onto trailers and engines out of engine bays I've never winched anything, and don't have a winch fitted to my ute. So just looking at the pictures - why have a hook or other metal attachment on the cable at all? Why not put a shackle...
  19. TimNWVic

Dropped towbar options

Yeah, understood. Wish I could get away with a 2t van but the missus wants a full ensuite with the trimmings, I'm fighting a battle to stay under 2.5t. That's why I'm not considering off road vans, they all seem to be 3t or more if you want an ensuite. Off topic now but I intend on staying on...
  20. TimNWVic

Dropped towbar options

That's a good price but it doesn't look like it would handle 4 tonne as advertised? It's relying on only two bolts with a lateral pull and subject to leverage, if it was set at full drop I'd be very nervous putting even 3 tonne behind it. I'd guess the rating would decrease substantially when...