Search results

1. Neil Watts

Optima battery alternative

I've had a Yellow under the bonnet since 2018, no issues. I chose it for my Canning trip as we were running 2 fridges off my lead crystal. The idea was to use the yellow as a backup if the lead crystal couldn't cope. OEM failed me twice in one week prior to my Canning trip and was replaced...
  2. Neil Watts

Satellite phone or satellite messenger?

Sat Phone is the smarter choice but I do the same as Kippie with my Garmin InReach. The only reason I chose the InReach over a Sat Phone is because the wife would be ringing me every 5 minutes. As it is the txt messages are of the hook but she can track my course and know where I am which...
  3. Neil Watts

Madigan Line...... Yes........ Again

Below is the letter received from Adria Downs, pretty generic reply I would say. Hello Neil Thank you for contacting us via email. 2020 certainly was a year with a difference. Our total rainfall was 200mm which 183mm of it was received in the first 3 months. Another 50mm so far this year may...
  4. Neil Watts

Madigan Track Adria Downs Birdsville Q 4482 T: 0746563321 adriadowns@activ8.net.au
  5. Neil Watts

Hey mate, ideally we would like to start at Adria Downs, still not getting too excited until the CLC makes a decision.
  6. Neil Watts

I had an email response, just said the same as the CLC website. Decission to be made at the March meeting.
  7. Neil Watts

Plan is to be in Birdsville on the 5th.
  8. Neil Watts

Hey Mini, thanks for the info. Were not looking at going until June next year, we use the Finke as an excuse to cross the Simpson each year. I'm afraid that with Covid hanging over our heads there will be no certainty to anything for some time. It is good for the sanity though to plan something...
  9. Neil Watts

I'm not sure who you're referring too but there's plenty of bad examples on YouTube, don't need to be an influencer. The modern 4WD also has to come under scrutiny a bit, anyone can drive a modern 4WD across the desert, it's when the shit hits the fan that counts, and people need to be counted...
  10. Neil Watts

Thanks for the input, he has since sold the company if it's who I'm thinking of, not quite the Ultimate success....although I do own the same camper. I'm thinking you did it in 2018 as we passed the camper trailer in question just short of Birdsville on our West to East, along the French...
  11. Neil Watts

Based on other trips 22l/100 is the norm, working on 30l/100 for 800k's. Tank capacity is 160lt, based on normal fuel usage this should be putting us close to the mark and will be packing an extra 80lt on the roof. As billolga mentions, the unknown is detours or getting bogged somewhere.
  12. Neil Watts

Thanks so much ipch for confirming what I though would be the case. Planning on East - West on the way to next years Finke. Thanks again and hope you have some of your own planning in the pipeline.
  13. Neil Watts

I have searched and read quite a bit in relation to fuel consumption and track conditions on the Madigan Line. Some say it's not difficult, some say it is hard due to the remoteness and all give milage results (l/100). What people don't do is give s benchmark so as to gauge their fuel usage...
  14. Neil Watts

Prado 120 offset

Try this https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=285&aspect=70&diameter=17&wheelwidth=7.5&offset=15&width2=285&aspect2=70&wheel_size=17&wheel_width=8&offset2=0
  15. Neil Watts

New Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Series Overlander Build

and it's petrol, just saved some money on secondary filters.
  16. Neil Watts

FJ cruiser - better than the standard prado?

I can live with them for sure and it's only my preference but I'm hoping that if there's a next car I can stay away from Diesel.
  17. Neil Watts

FJ cruiser - better than the standard prado?

Briefly looked at getting a GVM upgrade, part of it required proving to the engineer that the axle mounts could support 3t. The Aus spec FJ share the same axle mounts as the Prado 150 which is rated to 3t GVM. I understand all the legalities blah blah blah but I have no issues running close or...