Search results

1. L

Duel battery and Smart Alternators

Regarding the Optima and zero SOC, I accidently left the keys in the Prado ignition, I didn't notice till a few days later when I noticed the charger was displaying an odd combination of lights. On investigation I found this was the desulphation stage, on checking the battery I found it was 5V...
  2. L

Permanent solar recommendations for auxiliary battery.

From experience running a 40Ltr waeco as a freezer and a 80Ltr waeco fridge/freezer, lights pumps etc you will need 300W-400W as already stated, I work on half the available power for 5-6 hours a day as average. Even with 400W you'll probably find on occasions you need a back system ie generator.
  3. L

As long as it charged they should be able to be stored a long time without use, in reality the less usethe longer it will last. Things most likely to kill them: Over discharging and this would be one of the main killers. High temperatures, battery not suitable to be under bonnet for example...
  4. L

Just to add to the above, you should give some consideration to what happens should the battery BMS disconnect the battery, as I pointed out, you could get severe overvoltage, voltage transients and may also damage ECU's or cause them to shut down. Would not be nice to have an airbag decide to...
  5. L

Will be interesting, haven't seen any Lithium battery manufacturer that recommends using Lithiums in hot environments, Long term studies of Lithiums have shown they don't like heat. Hope the DCS turns out to be different though as I would like to have a Lithiums under bonnet too, unfortunately...
  6. L

Lithiums can't be used under bonnet. There have also been instances of Lithiums in a parallel configuration dying as a result to much current being drawn when the BMS has tripped to overload or under voltage. If your going to run drop in replacements with inbuilt BMS make sure one battery can...
  7. L

Folding solar panel Blocking Diode

Normally you don't need the diodes in a parallel panels if they have similar output voltages as there will be very little back flow into the shaded one. If they have greatly different output voltages you might but why would you put them in parallel to start with if that is the case?
  8. L

With a 30C ambient I would be a concerned with the 14.4V for under bonnet batteries. The 14.6V at star with cold engine bay wouldn't worry me but it should drop back as the engine bay temperature rises, I would expect 14.2V or lower? I would keep a close eye on the batteries under bonnet.
  9. L

Interesting your getting a higher voltage reading if he hasn't changed the voltage regulator it should be the same as it was? What was the ambient temperature when you did the testing and how long had the motor been running?
  10. L

Winch Isolator (Runva 11xp)

If your only worried about preventing the winch operating the solenoid units I have had all have a small earth wire that connects to the solenoid coils, if it has a remote most likely this will also connect to the same small earth wire. If you disconnect that earth wire the solenoids can't...
  11. L

I'm sure you have replaced batteries in 30 due to failure or reduced capacity, the question is what caused the issue? The 50% rule is based on the number of cycles compared to the DOD, if you only discharge to 90% SOC the battery will give more effective cycles (throughput) than it would at 50%...
  12. L

No its not, most look at you only get 500 cycles if you go to 80% whereas 800 cycles if you go 50% therefore your damaging the battery and shortening its life by going to 80%. Reality is your not. By going to 80% your getting 80Ah out of it, at 50% only 50Ah therefore you would need to do 800...
  13. L

As a matter of interest I just looked at a Century 105 deep cycle battery, life cycles at 50% discharge is around 800 cycles or 800x50 =40000Ah. At a 80% DOD around 500 cycles or 500x80 =40000Ah, ie no practical difference.
  14. L

Depends who you talk to, some dealers are happy to turn the smart charge off, others would prefer to talk you into fitting a DCDC charger.
  15. L

Does going below 50% have a great affect on battery life? If you look at it from a throughput perspective it is hard to understand the claim. I recently did some research into this, I looked at a 100Ah AGM on full fivers website and compared the throughput of Ah into the battery ie 100000Ah in...
  16. L

It's a harsh life for any battery being under bonnet, plus your camper batteries don't have to supply 300A-400A or more to turn over the starter so not really comparing apples with apples. As for alternators and DCDC chargers, a DCDC charger is a pseudo alternator, they both work the same.
  17. L

79 probably had a normal alternator, your 2016 will have a high compensation type. What was the charge voltage of your 79 compared to the Prado?
  18. L

Yes the temperature compensation is there to optimize charging to the battery under varying ambient temperatures, or it was that is. Now days the temperature compensation factor has increased to allow the car manufactures to meet anti pollution requirements. When the car is first started and the...
  19. L

First off I make booster diodes so that's out the way. There is no reason the alternator can't fully charge the battery in this case. If you visit Redacrs site you'll find the only mention of an alternator not being able to fully charge a auxiliary battery is with regards to smart alternators...