Recent content by Ron0z

1. R

Universal Joints

With the UJ on the Jeep, there will be the potential for vibration but without a load, any vibration will be of little consequence. When 4WD is active there will, of course, be a load, but there will likely be no significant vibration due to the speeds driven off-road. And driving off-road in...
  2. R

Universal Joints

UJs would certainly be cheaper to replace, and given they are fully enclosed within the axle housing they wouldn't suffer any stone damage.
  3. R

Universal Joints

Jeeps have been around for a while. Presumably, the design has stood the test of time. Universal joints are okay where there isn't much flex, like a tail shaft. Using them in the front where there's a lot of flex with steering seems like a cheap idea.
  4. R

Universal Joints

I was kind of surprised to see a UJ on a front hub. Is that common? I would have expected CV joints to have been used pretty much universally on all front wheels. I came across this video. (The interesting bit is at about the 13-minute mark.) I've become kind of addicted to watching Matt's...
  5. R

Jokes

That's quite a LR sales ad. I mean non sales ad. Or was it an ad for test equipment and LR just happened to be the test case. I dunno, but I learnt a lot about LR. It's good to see some optimistic people though. They love their car.
  6. R

Jokes

Marriage is like a deck of cards. When it starts you're all hearts and there's a diamond, then when the gloss dulls you wish for a club and a spade.
  7. R

Jokes

Great video Sharkcaver. The guy is brilliantly funny. I wish I had his workshop.
  8. R

Jokes

And the correct answer is firewood. Though, nicely dried dung would probably work too. I used to load dried cowpats onto the campfire as a kid. They seemed to burn okay. Though, I never felt inclined to bake any spuds in those fires.
  9. R

Jokes

Try again...
  10. R

Jokes

Is it really a joke. Fuel prices make it less so. When I was at school my teacher mentioned things called 'producer gas generators' and I didn't have much of a clue of what she was on about. She mentioned fuel rationing during the war. She showed pictures of cars with all kinds of weird...
  11. R

$20K to spend what should I buy!? (need dual cab with tray or tub)

Consider vehicle auction houses. There are risks in that you don't get to test drive before purchase, but quite often you can inspect before bidding. You're more likely to get a better price through auction, so long as you're mindful of private used car prices. Some bidders go silly at auctions...
  12. R

Lets get this discussion started!

Just browsing some videos and came across this. These guys are commercial operators and they post a lot of videos of their rescues, a lot of which are worth a look, but this one of a snow rescue caught my attention. They are often an entertaining bunch and some of their rescues are amazing...
  13. R

Great Central Road

Very interesting. So, all they'd need to do is heat it. Pasteurize it.
  14. R

Great Central Road

What harm could honey possibly do in that environment, does anyone know? It seems like nuts to me.
  15. R

Great Central Road

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Central_Road "When heading from the Northern Territory to Laverton there is an Amnesty Bin for Quarantine WA 20 km (12 mi) outside of Laverton. All passenger vehicles are to stop and dispose of all quarantine risk material that is stated on the sign...