Recent content by Paddler Ed

1. Paddler Ed

Where cars are made

You can see certain points in time: 1970's oil crisis Late 1980s/mid 1990's: the end of the protectionism from Japanese imports in Europe Collapse of the Berlin Wall and the end of the USSR 2000's the death of Rover in the UK The start of Ford manufacturing in Belgium (where they made the Mondeo...
  2. Paddler Ed

Corona virus

Yep, we're dodging the coast at the moment, especially as the Sydney people are heading out to more of the places a couple more hours from Sydney than Port Stephens etc. In saying that, we did end up as the only ones out at a spot over the weekend which was awesome: (And yes, the canine idiot...
  3. Paddler Ed

Corona virus

Hoyks, the "like" wasn't really the right option, but it was the most appropriate I suspect. This aligns very much with my parent's experience in the UK; although not in aged care facility, they live in a village of ~20 houses, with some good walks around there (which is why they live...
  4. Paddler Ed

Corona virus

Bits I've seen have mentioned the similarity with Corona Virus in cats - there's also been reports suspecting cats can host or transmit it, but not a lot of any strength in studies. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/animals.html...
  5. Paddler Ed

Portable fridge/ freezer in the back of the car.

Run our 2nd battery in a box in the rear of the car (battery box has the Porjecta IDC25 in it, so that gives us a DC-DC charger, as well as the solar input for out of the car). Our fridge is then plugged into that, so we have the fridge running all the time now, and even with only short 5km...
  6. Paddler Ed

Corona virus

We unfortunately had that problem with my Grandmother, with the added fun that she had a strain that is termed paranoid dementia. She was certain that Grandad was withdrawing money from the bank account to pay for call girls.... Add in the problem that she'd decided not to tell anyone that...
  7. Paddler Ed

Corona virus

IIRC you're in the at risk bracket, so it was probably for the best for you as well as the areas on your way.
  8. Paddler Ed

Corona virus

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32668870/ 1) The authors declare no affiliation with the NIH 2) The NIH is part of the American National Library of Medicine, and tries to put research out into the public domain instead of behind a paywall BUT: 3) The publisher withdrew it from the NIH - ie...
  9. Paddler Ed

What should I be looking at when I inspect a used 4x4?

80 Series Land Cruiser prices in VIC have gone up a decent lump as more and more of them are over 25 years old, so eligible for club rego. If it's had LPG, that would be one of the reasons why the engine has been redone. However, re-fitting LPG is probably not worth doing now - but cost it out...
  10. Paddler Ed

Another death on Fraser

I'd guess a Working Holiday visa holder who arrived before lock down - they're allowed upto 2 years, and for many of them, Australia is safer than their home country.
  11. Paddler Ed

Corona virus

Government borrows money based on Bonds - quite often, because they have AAA credit ratings IIRC, they get very low interest rates because there is little risk of default - however, bonds because of that are considered to be "good" and so a lot of Super funds have a chunk of their risk portfolio...
  12. Paddler Ed

Corona virus

Just spoke to my parents in the UK today. They've both been to their nearest town (not the big one up the road, but the decent size one down the road) for the first time since they were visiting here in Mid-March. Both masked up, but low numbers of others with masks on (likewise, my brother...
  13. Paddler Ed

VIC 4WD Access Only Camping

The problem is this thing called "Google" that is very good at searching this thing called the "internet" If you put up a really cool (d!ckhead free) place, then it can be found after a few clicks quite often, especially on a reliable forum like this which would rank high on their results. I...
  14. Paddler Ed

Complete Campsite liquidation

Grey Nomads are dying off, or at least the Baby Boomer era ones who have the ability to liquidise their house for a motza and then spend it travelling around Aus. Everyone else is going to be watching their money. The other problem is actually building a product that doesn't need repeat...
  15. Paddler Ed

Land Rover defender vs Ineos Grenadier New 4WDs for Australia

Yep, it'll survive in Europe/UK as a commercial vehicle as it takes it out of their whole sales emissions numbers. Also, by being classed as a commercial it'll save about £150-200 in rego in the UK as it's not that great on fuel: 1st year = £540 2nd year = £150 (which is better than the rules...