• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

Recent content by JP147

1. JP147

JP's new HJ47 Troopy

It almost had a good heater, so I assembled a fully working one with parts from both And a new heater valve
  2. JP147

JP's new HJ47 Troopy

New parts car from Victoria, I got it for the 5 speed conversion and some other parts My driver seat before Stripped down to the frame Rebuilt with new vinyl and foam from donor car
  3. JP147

wheel bearing re-greasing

20,000km would be overkill for road driving, but off-road driving with a lot of water and mud it makes more sense. I have found water in wheel bearings a few times but I am trying the Terrain Tamer 2 piece hub seals and I will see if this prevents water getting in. If you don't want to...
  4. JP147

70 Series/Hiace hybrid .

I like it, reminds me of the 40 and 70 series buses made by Arkana
  5. JP147

JP's new HJ47 Troopy

Radiator support was badly broken and cracked all over Many welds and 2 plates later Finally found the source of the irritating squeaking noise New engine mounts, also fuel hose while I was there
  6. JP147

JP's new HJ47 Troopy

Time for a front axle rebuild. The diff was noisy, brakes worn and everything just due for some maintenance. There was a big dent in the front and a socket no longer fit over the drain plug. Conveniently it had been knocked loose by a rock. Front bash plate and drain plug protector...
  7. JP147

JP's new HJ47 Troopy

High country again for the annual 40/50 series meet Then Bendleby Ranges. Picture is from Billy Goats Ridge track. How we kept the dust out of the bedding Fridge is now on a slide and the bed has been raised about 1". It can now be converted between single and double by adding...
  8. JP147

What mods should i do to make my 4wd more capable?

As for what mods to do to make the Hilux more capable, I would 100% do lockers before putting on bigger tyres or anything else. They basically double the capability, you might realise you don't even need bigger tyres after fitting them. Amazing what you can do with an old Hilux on 33s and...
  9. JP147

What mods should i do to make my 4wd more capable?

I use a set like that, very sturdy old school style of recovery board. Just be careful when they are old and beat up because they can give splinters. If you only need the recovery boards without the accessories, it is just made out of FRP walkway grating with embedded grit. Cheap to buy but...
  10. JP147

LOKKA Differential lock?

I have one in the rear of my troopy, been daily driving with it for about 3 years now. Fairly smooth as long as there is a reasonable amount of weight over the rear axle and you don't give it too much power around turns. It does occasionally make some noise though.
  11. JP147

Thomas 8000lb winch on HJ47

Since it uses 2 gear boxes it does have a few parts
  12. JP147

There is no problem with these spooling from the top, it is how they are supposed to be. The brake on these winches is only there to stop the drum unraveling when the clutch is disengaged. While it is operating it does not need a brake because it has a worm gear so the motor can turn the...
  13. JP147

Looks good, best choice of electric winch for a 40 IMO.
  14. JP147

It doesn't really matter, mine is far from being in the centre.