Recent content by FranksnBeans

1. FranksnBeans

70 Series handbrake and brakes

Eh. What can you do. They're all like that. There are aftermarket options available but they're expensive. And honestly I never, ever park it out of gear anyway so it's no really an issue. There are occasions where I may need to stop and clear a branch off a track or whatever, that I would...
  2. FranksnBeans

70 Series handbrake and brakes

I can't speak for 70 Series but the handbrake on my 80 Series is non-existant. My mechanic always adjusts it though... bless him. It works for a day or two after adjustment but then stops working again. Essentially it has no handbrake. I still pull the lever up whenever I park just out of habit...
  3. FranksnBeans

Freezing the lettuce

I don't bother with heads of lettuce at all. Much easier to buy a pack of rocket and shove that in your fridge. If you put a sheet of paper towel in there after opened and fold it over it keeps for a week!
  4. FranksnBeans

$20K to spend what should I buy!? (need dual cab with tray or tub)

To be fair my 80 has had it's steering box re-welded and engine mounts replaced. A lot of these stereotypes have some basis in truth, and when you're in the market for one of them they're worth keeping in mind. One of my mate's Rangers had it's gearbox replaced under warranty, I have another...
  5. FranksnBeans

Great Central Road

One of my best mates has a small property (10 acres or so) in the Noosa hinterland. He lets a local bee keeper run 4 or 5 native bee hives on his property in return for a few kgs of honey on the regular. He doesn't do it for any sort of return financially or otherwise, merely as a way to help...
  6. FranksnBeans

Pooping in the Simpson

I usually burn my toilet paper where possible. I've used two different methods of burning but curious to hear what others do. Either way it starts with a 30cm deep hole. First method is to carry a small bottle of lighter fluid and some matches in my toiletries. A small squirt of lighter fluid...
  7. FranksnBeans

Rooftop Maps now available digitally.

I hear this a lot on here and other forums. Maybe I'm missing something, or people with much more experience are upset that tracks or locations they personally know about aren't on the maps. Maybe they've had technical issues. I don't know - but I've used the Hema Explorer app for years now...
  8. FranksnBeans

What 4b to get

This is the situation I'm in. 1991 80 Series that has had *deep breath* new engine mounts, rear diff rebuild, gearbox rebuild, turbo and fuel pump rebuilt, new radiator and the head is will come off this year sometime for a refurb and a new gasket. This is on top of standard stuff like all new...
  9. FranksnBeans

Off road licence endorsements

This is the definition I was given by Club 4x4 when I pushed them on exactly where I was covered by their insurance policies. Essentially, so long as you're legally able to drive on the road/track you are covered.
  10. FranksnBeans

Ideal tyre pressures

This is one of those questions that don't really have a one-size-fits-all answer. A lot will depend on the weight you carry. I run my 33 inch km3's at 45psi on a lifted 80 series. They're 33x12.5 on 15 inch rims so have plenty of sidewall. The tyre has it's maximum load capacity at 45psi...
  11. FranksnBeans

12/1978 Toyota Landcruiser (4x4) HJ45 Tub Back Beige 3.6L Diesel

Honestly, I don't think that's unreasonable IF that odometer is correct and it's a genuinely fresh 45 Series. It's not like they're making them anymore.
  12. FranksnBeans

Mansfield police again.

Oof. This thread has been an interesting read. Not to comment on anything else but I reckon if you're doing a full SAS job then it should be signed off by an engineer. I don't know where the line is for modifications that need inspecting, but it's somewhere south of axle swaps. There MUST be...
  13. FranksnBeans

Telemarketers

Now I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but I've had the same mobile number for 15 or 20 years. While all my friends complained about scam calls and texts, I never got a single one. Until... I was lured in by the very cheap price of a Hillbilly Hot Plate from 4wd Supercentre. As I was...
  14. FranksnBeans

What is your favourite 4x4 Show?

I wouldn't be against some form of 'Camping Permit' system, akin to a fishing licence. Plenty of others would have a problem with it, but that doesn't make it a bad idea. The fishing licence scheme suffered huge push back from many people, but it's just accepted these days. I'd go further and...
  15. FranksnBeans

What is your favourite 4x4 Show?

That's a fair point. I wrap my scotch up like a first-born child when I go camping, and have a snug, secure spot to keep it. Haven't lost a bottle yet!