Recent content by dirvine

1. dirvine

Looking for pros and cons of LSD, e-lockers, air-lockers, and lunchbox lockers.

Is it electronic? Dont think so. LR is and works in conjunction with TC and all the mode selections. That is they (ie both centre & rear) vary their lock up depending on the mode selected. Jeep was mechanical, from what i remember along the lines of LSD's in its working.
  2. dirvine

Boobook, I dont need to quote experts just look at the videos. Even a blind man could see/feel that the LR pulls the others. AFAIAA no other 4wd has variable locking diffs. With other 4wds, you have to remember to switch things on or off when you select diff lock, On a LR you dont need to do a...
  3. dirvine

No other 4wd has variable locking diffs En d of comparison. Thats why its superior. Tc are not the same and i stand by the comment as most 4wd experts agree. Reas my previous post to note the difference
  4. dirvine

Again not correct with a LR. The centre diff is now electronically "driven" and will go from no lock all the way upto 100% lock if and when it thinks it needs to. I have driven on tracks forgetting to select low range (or in some case deliberately not selecting Low Range) and looking at the 4wd...
  5. dirvine

New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

Trouble is(insert any 4wd other than defender) they dont come standard with small rims with big muddies. Thats why the defender would leave them for dead straight off the show room floor. Kust like all lr products.
  6. dirvine

Vic High Country most extreme

Trigg track now is a walk in the park. In the 1970's it just went straight up with big rock ledges. I rolled my shorty S1 Landy on it so many times trying to up. (ie only lay on its side). Trouble was lack of momentum to get over the rock ledges. So 1st transplant was holden 186, 2nd was 253V8...
  7. dirvine

You dont "smooth out the books" Depreciation is not sandpaper. It is trying to align the purchase price of the assets useful life and asigne that cost to the business .Then when you sell/trade in the asset you adjust the amount of depreciation to reflect the trade or sold price, either making a...
  8. dirvine

You dont loose anything via depreciation. In accounting terms, the purchase price of an asset is a "sunk" cost. You can usually never get it back. Depreciation is an expense and as such reduces the tax paid on excess income less expenses. I dont care what mine cost. Its so superior to the 76 I...
  9. dirvine

No thats there to pull toyotas out without having to turn around. Gets boring having to turn around for a front winch pull
  10. dirvine

Good to see not a dent in the car. And it looks like the air bags have all stood up to the extra weight placed on them. All good the new defender hey?
  11. dirvine

Free wheeling hubs

In theory, less moving parts= less friction= less resistance= less power to get the car moving. So all things considered there should be some reduction in fuel used for distance covered. I hardly noticed it when I had hubs on my cars, However on the opposite side of the arguement, going from...
  12. dirvine

Yes you can get cheap nasty products and you can get quality, when you buy for the mainstream vehicles. Just looked at rock sliders for example. Ford Ranger price $499 to $895. Quality Disco ones $920. So not that much differential. Same goes for rear bars, bull bars and LR tanks. Price is not...
  13. dirvine

I live very very close to Toorak and I can honestly say I hardly see one defender (this topic is about Defender after all) in the car park or in the street, not may Discoveries be they 3,4, Discovery or new Discovery. But I see a lot of RR Evoques, mostly the awd drive ones ( Look at me I drive...
  14. dirvine

LR has to make cars that meet the EURO emission and safety standards. Hence the low profile tyres. There are aftermarket solutions for most (if not all) to get suitable off road tyres with smaller rim sizes than what the car is delivered with. Also please note there is no such thing as a D5 it...