Recent content by Dave_w

1. Dave_w

How much torque across an axle would be = to locked.

For anyone following up on this. I've done some research and still don't have a definitive answer but.... best poorly educated guess.... I'm going to start with 2,000Nm, and think I might end up with a bit more. I don't think there will be that much grip under almost any smooth delivery...
  2. Dave_w

I think the Porsche TC (2008) stuff is out of date, you can watch it attacking an obstacle and it almost comes to a stop before the TC cuts in. It's too late then, it's lost all the momentum.
  3. Dave_w

I cop enough shit now without telling people it's a Porsche :) The thread has departed from my question so it's just an interesting discussion now about wether or not it's a good idea. My question was, how much torque across an axle would simulate "Locked", I think we've all decided it's not...
  4. Dave_w

In sand, towing a couple of jetskis over a ton the TC steps in and brakes a wheel, not what I want. I also don't want full locked as it will churn the inside wheel. Optimal would be a % of lock, enough to stop one wheel spinning but enough slip. There are also times open and locked would be...
  5. Dave_w

Almost. The engine has the potential to make torque, you can't have torque without resistance (push back), resistance comes from the grip and drag. So 100% right you can only have as much torque as you have grip. So logically I should have the clutch set up to match or close to the maximum...
  6. Dave_w

Hi Chatty There are clutching diffs used in many road cars and 4wds, they did use them racing as well. My off the showroom floor Subaru Impreza and Nissan Navara both have them. They can be noisy at slow speeds but can be assembled to be aggressive or gentle. The one I'm talking about here...
  7. Dave_w

Most locked diffs are mechanically engaged (dog gears or locked planetary gears) and are not under any or much load to stay locked. This one drives a motor that spreads two plates by ramping ball bearings between the plates. The spread plates put a lot of pressure on the clutch pack to stop them...
  8. Dave_w

Electrically switchable on the fly but I have to set the amount of lock for each of the 5 positions by down loading settings to the software that drives it, once downloaded I can choose 0-5 via a console switch. It will take 4-5 seconds to change from any position to the next and you can skip or...
  9. Dave_w

I guess I need to match the maximum friction/loads i.e. where one wheel is off the ground and the other has maximum grip. or match the amount of torque needed to move the car up a rock climb where one wheel is off the ground, anything more is probably unnecessary and may lead to breaking...
  10. Dave_w

I have a clutch pack locking diff that I can preset 5 different levels of lock. If I have an engine output of 600Nm and a diff ratio of 4.55:1 a low range of..., in 1st gear and 34" tyres with a grip level of...... Arhhhh. It is all too hard. Would anyone know what would be a torque value...
  11. Dave_w

Can a Porsche cayenne be a good 4x4 ?

Hahahaha, slow progress. I haven't touched it for a year. Just got the good news. Harrop are sending my front diff back finally (just over a year later) with a production prototype elocker fitted, they have designed this specifically for my diff to suit a Porsche, Touareg, or Audi. They will...
  12. Dave_w

Thanks, I'm hoping it will be cheaper....... Hahahaha, but I was going to buy a new 4wd for about $50k + extra's but I don't like any of them, for me they aren't exciting to drive so it's hard to pay that sort of money for something I don't want and won't enjoy. I like this car, it puts a smile...
  13. Dave_w

No just started moding it's my on and off day car. I've seen how they go off-road, they aren't great but usually not driven well and mostly on tracks that are suitable for 2wd. This plague has stopped me going anywhere too and with no off-road tyres yet. For me, the planning is as much fun as...
  14. Dave_w

Thanks I feel a bit better. I've never broken any 4x4 drive train gear yet but I watch the videos were people are trying to get up rocks and get axel hop but just keep the foot down....... Followed by that distinctive sound. I've never had this much HP in an off-road car before either.
  15. Dave_w

Yeah, I take your point. It's independent suspension front and back so the diffs are up highish but there is so much crap under the car that might get caught up/broken/bent I was thinking about bash plates for most of it. I've sorted the engine/transfer case plate. The front and rear plastic...