Off road licence endorsements

ULost2

Hello peoples ; long time with not much interest :) I have to relearn the old forum way :(
Just noticed the thread about beach rollovers in Qld so this could be of interest. I agree with it as I campaign for "CLOSED WHEN WET" sign all along our rivers and water ways ; mostly the Murray river . Maybe more on that later .

ULost2

Not sure I need a "course" considering in the past 30+ years I have not needed a winch , snatch , tow rope , the shovel/axe I usually carry . Never "aired down" even if I have I have the once used composer (to inflate a wheel borrow tyre
1f923.png
)
But I bet a "ticket" will be needed to go into Murray Sunset Np not far from me

discomatt

Not sure I need a "course" considering in the past 30+ years I have not needed a winch , snatch , tow rope , the shovel/axe I usually carry . Never "aired down" even if I have I have the once used composer (to inflate a wheel borrow tyre
1f923.png
)
But I bet a "ticket" will be needed to go into Murray Sunset Np not far from me
I guess to validate a off road endorsement firstly you would have to define off road / 4wding.
driving and touring on dirt roads is not 4wding IMO, would a local in a regional area who has a 2wheel drive need the same endorsement to drive on a dirt road?
By what you have stated here you do not go 4wding you drive dirt roads while on holidays, I would not support the idea of needing an additional cost and licence to drive on a maintained dirt road but most certainly support in principle a off road license and registration

typhoeus

More importantly, towing a caravan over a certain size should require a different licence in my opinion. People getting stuck isn't much of a danger to society at large. If they actually enforced the modification rules a lot of issues would disappear.
An endorsement to tow anything is a good idea, after watching people try to reverse trailers at bunnings. . .

Albynsw

More importantly, towing a caravan over a certain size should require a different licence in my opinion. People getting stuck isn't much of a danger to society at large. If they actually enforced the modification rules a lot of issues would disappear.

This should be a high priority to get something implemented, it is just too easy to head down this path these days with no prior experience which is dangerous for everyone on the road

Komang

A licence does not prevent stupid behaviour, we see it every day on our roads. High recovery costs and/or fines would be a deterrent. But an access permit into fragile areas would be best.
Last night somebody hooning around in nighberhood just feel like throw a brick to their car. Lots of useless people around and the law are useless too

2luxes

More importantly, towing a caravan over a certain size should require a different licence in my opinion.
That could certainly help but a Government inquiry into caravan design should come first. There are far too many with too much heavy material located up high inside, on the roof, behind the axles inside or hanging off the rear end outside.

To make it even worse, many have trailing arm suspension. That antique design rolls the whole lot over from ground level.

nitrobrent

People need a licence to drive on normal roads.
People die on normal roads.
Can't see a 4wd licence being any different.
Cant help stupid

Triton14

You may as well try & enforce a license endorsement for people to just have common sense in anything in life.

I deal with people everyday who I don't know how they survive getting out of bed & walking across the street because they are so intellectually handicapped.let alone operating any machinery of any kind.

Yes Google is listening, I was talking to someone(verbally) the other day & asked them what London Dry was which was in a cooking recipe & they said its a brand of Gin, 10 minutes later I got an email from Dan Murphys saying London Gin was on special

Agree with Nitro!

smwhiskey

I guess to validate a off road endorsement firstly you would have to define off road / 4wding.
driving and touring on dirt roads is not 4wding IMO, would a local in a regional area who has a 2wheel drive need the same endorsement to drive on a dirt road?
By what you have stated here you do not go 4wding you drive dirt roads while on holidays, I would not support the idea of needing an additional cost and licence to drive on a maintained dirt road but most certainly support in principle a off road license and registration
I Agree. A gazetted road is a gazetted road regardless of whether its bitumen, rock, dirt, or sand. Just because a road is a sand beach doesn't necessarily make it a "4WD track". For example Moreton Island surf beach at low tide is a gazetted road (all Qld road laws and speed limits apply) and IMHO its in better condition than the M1. Have been down dirt tracks that were in significantly better condition that the "road" that serviced them.

discomatt

Matt, I've been stuck on wet grass!
Just because someone, including myself, has been stuck on wet grass does not cover the 4wding question and where an additional license fits in
I Agree. A gazetted road is a gazetted road regardless of whether its bitumen, rock, dirt, or sand. Just because a road is a sand beach doesn't necessarily make it a "4WD track". For example Moreton Island surf beach at low tide is a gazetted road (all Qld road laws and speed limits apply) and IMHO its in better condition than the M1. Have been down dirt tracks that were in significantly better condition that the "road" that serviced them.
ALL tracks and locations where we are legally allowed to drive are gazetted tracks, if its not a gazetted and on public land you are not allowed to drive a car or ride a dirt bike there and are committing an offense.

boobook

The definition of a Gazetted Road is interesting and not clear. It differs between states too. It used to mean it was put on a list of legal roads. The last time a road was gazetted in Victoria was 1938 so the Monash Freeway is not Gazetted. :)

Gazetted roads can go through private property, like Par's in SA. The ABH is not gazetted near Mabel Creek but it is to the west. One ungazetted road that will surprise people is the road to Kulumbaru and Mitchel Falls in the Kimberly. Yep the council refuses to maintain it so ungazetted it about 10 years ago.

My insurance company only covers my vehicle while driven on a Gazetted Road. I asked them for a definition, they said if it is on a map. I asked them which map. They did not know. I wanted to drive to a beach, and the farmer put a locked gate across it. It was on every map and I called the council. They said it was ungazetted. When I askey who, why and how it got ungazetted they said they did not know.

Does anyone have a solid definition for each state on what a gazetted road means, and how do you find if a road is gazetted or not for insurance purposes?

SNIP

ALL tracks and locations where we are legally allowed to drive are gazetted tracks, if its not a gazetted and on public land you are not allowed to drive a car or ride a dirt bike there and are committing an offense.

discomatt

Not sure why anyone would think a desk jokey at a insurance agency could answer a legal question that is slightly left of center that then led to other left of center questions but this is my understanding of a gazetted road

Albynsw

Not sure why anyone would think a desk jokey at a insurance agency could answer a legal question that is slightly left of center that then led to other left of center questions but this is my understanding of a gazetted road

That is not an Aussie site so interpretation may be different?
Personally I don’t use insurance companies that have that definition but rather run with “ you are covered anywhere in Australia that you are legally allowed to be”

discomatt

It defines it as I have always understood it to be and same as the few times I have read through insurance documents and asked for clarification , I have also been told it is defined by any map that is supplied to any government body, in Victoria's case any map that is supplied to the CFA would have gazetted roads and all roads or tracks on government endorsed maps are gazetted therefore legal to drive unless otherwise sign posted