greetings from the tight arse chinese 4wd buyer

Beijing_Billycart

good evening all, as the thread suggests yes i did buy an el-cheepo chinese 4wd about 5 years ago that i thought was going to be a heap of crap. well i was sadly mistaken and has been more of a godsent then i thought, even though shes in need of some suspension work she has done exactly as her intended purpose and has completely suprised the pants off of us in almost everything we have thrown at her thus far ( haven't really gotten her to beat up yet and well not looking to snap axles with her underpowered chinese mitsubishi engine)

hope to be able to find some new tracks in and around SE QLD to really give her a good test and see what she can (and myself) do

Attachments

• 155364910_10159116026308529_1009845869070703836_n.jpg
    155364910_10159116026308529_1009845869070703836_n.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 60

Beijing_Billycart

Not really bagging it out, just telling it how it is, have put a lot of time and effort into it over the years to be able to do what we do with it, and my little family absolutely love it, it does exactly what we want it to do

Beijing_Billycart

This is true, but i want to use it more for it's intended purpose, and with more and more tracks being closed off and local off roading parks being shut down it's getting a little bit frustrating,as we have to travel further away from home to be able to use our little 4X4

smitty_r51

how do you find the aftermarket cover for it.

I have a japanese 4wd but they were never that popular...makes spares and accessories difficult to find. that is what is going to help these brands survive or disappear out on the tracks.

Beijing_Billycart

how do you find the aftermarket cover for it.

I have a japanese 4wd but they were never that popular...makes spares and accessories difficult to find. that is what is going to help these brands survive or disappear out on the tracks.
To be honest, really never had much trouble finding spares for it as a lot or the vehicle is copied from the Japanese and is almost a direct replacement, it's actually allowing these companies to allow me to fit these components as there intended purpose was for another vehicle (almost the entire chassis and suspension setup is Isuzu with little tweeks here and there that can be modified to make it work) but without taking parts in to them and showing them it's rather difficult.

Aftermarket accessories are another tough one as (but it's getting better for the Chinese with the release of the new cannon and the haval H9) but a lot of places don't want to know about the vehicles ad they are an "unknown brand" or people know very little about them and the fact that they are a parts bin vehicles (get a part and make it work with the vehicle) .

jacnden

Welcome to the forum, you might be the only GW on here now although there has been a few in the past . Have I seen you on one of the GW Facebook pages?

Beijing_Billycart

Welcome to the forum, you might be the only GW on here now although there has been a few in the past . Have I seen you on one of the GW Facebook pages?
Yeah I'm on just about the lot of them

I do like driving the Billycart, it's been an awesome piece of kit, especially for the money we paid for it

Decca

Interesting feedback on your rice burner.
I've been wondering how they hold up.
Has yours done a lot of K's, handled tough stuff like heavy bush work or towing ok?
Any areas of weakness?.

Beijing_Billycart

Interesting feedback on your rice burner.
I've been wondering how they hold up.
Has yours done a lot of K's, handled tough stuff like heavy bush work or towing ok?
Any areas of weakness?.
currently we have almost 189,000 so not super high K's but enough to say that its getting a little older

when i first got it i replaced a clutch as it was starting to slip when up in the higher gears towing and was used as a pavement princess since new.

havent had in to many tuff situation but the stuff i have had it in its handled really well ( one bog hole i didnt send it hard enough and got hung up on the diff and front IFS, the other i sent it with reasonable gusto and it clawed its way out with little issue even though the cross members were banging along the rocks), but never done any kind of damage to any of the undercarraige components, but it does need a lift as the front has sagged quite a bit ( an upgrade i am looking in to)

we do a bit of towing with it ( i try not to do both towing and 4WDing at the same time) but we have never had a trouble with temps or mechanical issues, i dont push it to hard and let it just do its own thing in its own time, worst thing that you can do with them is over work the engine as this is the only time they have cylinder head/head gasket issues (as with any vehicle) and do all routine maintence when it says as per the manual

i think the only thing i can winge about is the fact that they do require a higher grade of petrol (min 95+) but costco helps eleviate that issue

Beijing_Billycart

Sounds like they are a reasonable rig... and later ones no doubt better.
my own personal opinion is actually the earlier ones were actually better, the diesels in the later ones had a few issues with heads and gaskets, not to mention they didnt have a low range option as they were TOD (Torque On Demand)

jacnden

Yeah I'm on just about the lot of them

I do like driving the Billycart, it's been an awesome piece of kit, especially for the money we paid for it
Lots here if your interested in doing mods

Beijing_Billycart

Lots here if your interested in doing mods
yeah i'll be looking to it in the not to distant future, just have to wait for life to slow down enough to be able to start on things