toolangi state forrest vic

davidb83

gday all, myself and a couple mates are looking to goto Toolangi state forrest in a couple weeks for the day, all of us a fairly new to the offroad scene and looking to start at "rocky track" from there not too sure, after any help/suggestion for where to go from there. cheers

reddahaydn

"fairly new to the offroad scene" and "rocky track" don't generally go in the same sentence unless you have massive plums or work in a panel beaters.

try martins, aeroplane, downeys spur - however I think aeroplane and downeys will be closed. katy creek tracks pretty cool. it's been a while since I've been there so not sure what's been graded recently tho

Lil_Miss

Rocky track is fairly extreme for someone who's new to the off road scene. Maybe check out you tube vidoes first so you can decide if it's something you want to tackle.

Swaggie

Great info there guys, the forum working at its best.. Saving newbies from possible disaster :);):eek:, if it's raining a different scenario again...

redefine82

Hi David,

give us a run down of the mods the trucks will have that are going it would give us a better idea of what tracks to suggest. As the guys said Rocky track isn't one for beginners even the chicken track in the wet needs careful wheel placement. Also Toolangi Changes so quickly due to the soft clay and the amount of traffic it gets. Aeroplane for example we did it 2 weeks before another group it was a walk in the park for us no dramas at all the other group 2 weeks later had damage had to winch etc.

davidb83

Thanks for the advice, when I say beginer I don't mean first timer however still have a lot to learn, I have a d40 with 2inch lift, snorkel, bash plate and tyres, cheers

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
Check what tracks are seasonally closed; there are quite a few in Toolangi, & as others have said Rocky Tk is not one to take inexperienced 4wders up. As Aeroplane is no longer a seasonal closure, unless you have 33's, expect to do a fair bit of winching if it is wet & even after the little rain we have had over the last week or so, it will be wet.

There are plenty of other tracks other than the well known ones that will keep you on your toes & would suggest you should give the likes of Rocky & Aeroplane a miss, especially during winter. If you havent got one, get yourself a Rooftops map of the area.

TAC700

Has anyone recently driven aeroplane or Katy creek road? As we're old like to he'd out ther on Sunday but 1 car is a bt50 with 2"lift and AT tyres but has winch, other car is a disco 2 wit winch and 31' muddies no lift... Are we asking for trouble?

davidb83

Check what tracks are seasonally closed; there are quite a few in Toolangi, & as others have said Rocky Tk is not one to take inexperienced 4wders up. As Aeroplane is no longer a seasonal closure, unless you have 33's, expect to do a fair bit of winching if it is wet & even after the little rain we have had over the last week or so, it will be wet.

There are plenty of other tracks other than the well known ones that will keep you on your toes & would suggest you should give the likes of Rocky & Aeroplane a miss, especially during winter. If you havent got one, get yourself a Rooftops map of the area.

Thanks mate, with tracks such as rocky and aeroplane, are there chicken runs to go around them, incase the couple mates I'm going with that are experienced want to do those tracks?

hulsty

Not really, be careful on rocky, might take some good line selection to get up or heaps of berries and damage!

redefine82

The Chicken track at rocky is still quite difficult there is a dirt road that goes to the top of rocky to the left if some guys want to have a go at rocky and some are keen to just go up the top and watch. there are a few gates on tracks that are randomly closed. Blowhard is another good track which is challenging but you cant get into too much trouble on (has gates at the start so not sure if open or closed)
If I were you guys id personally start up the other end as there is a much better selection of tracks. Go in at two hills road and turn left just after the air down area (cant remember track name off the top of my head sorry) then go up martins track track which is another challenging climb. I will have a look at my roof top map when I get home and give some more suggestions. as I cant remember all the track name.

ULost2

"fairly new to the offroad scene" and "rocky track" don't generally go in the same sentence unless you have massive plums or work in a panel beaters.

t

ROF LOBL!!!! That was so well put.

sorry fellas; all the extra add ons to a great 4bie like a d40 will never replace experience

Maybe ask if someone with experience in that area could go with you or stick to the sandy stuff for now as it's usually pretty clean (good) fun getting out of sand bogs......ummm i mean getting over a dune or through deep soft sand. BTW; and don't forget the shovel :D

redefine82

ROF LOBL!!!! That was so well put.

sorry fellas; all the extra add ons to a great 4bie like a d40 will never replace experience

Maybe ask if someone with experience in that area could go with you or stick to the sandy stuff for now as it's usually pretty clean (good) fun getting out of sand bogs......ummm i mean getting over a dune or through deep soft sand. BTW; and don't forget the shovel :D

sand in Toolangi??

we watched a leaf sprung 60 on 31s make it up the middle of rocky track last time we were there... I don't know how he didn't break anything as he was basically full noise just bouncing the whole way up for 30 mins. So he might have a change... haha

I've had 3 attempts at it on 35's 4inch lift in a patrol and only made it once with quite a few pucker moments...

PK Kitchens

It is very drivable. But not if your shy about getting close to the rock banks and some nice wheel lifts. In the wet it's almost impossible because you just spin on top of the rocks. I've managed it in both the wet and dry but by far the wet was a little stupid.

PK

80lover96gxl

The ones near Portland are actually at Mt Richmond,I think its about 25k's west of Portland.

Not sure about those ones at mt Richmond and haven't heard of a buggy club around that area. There is the Millicent buggy club over the border in SA which is located in part of the dune system between Robe and Beachport, normally if there is no meet on at the buggy club you can drive area's of the dunes (which area sensational I might add). A sand flag is very important there tho with so many blind crest and cnrs as headon's are are high possibility.

Never driven the dunes at mt Richmond before but they are definitely on my list.

Hope this helps