Change background image

Winch Warranty's who to support and when to walk, WARN,Smittybilt,Runva,Ironman,Tmax etc

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Swaggie, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

No worries Pete ;)

Goodluck with your choice mate, you could buy 3 Runva's with 15 years warranty (5 years each) no bullsh!t fine print, return it should anything go wrong and replace no questions asked for the same cost of 1 Warn with a sh!tty 1 year warranty and that's providing you don't get it Wet. :eek:

T-Max are the same, a little more expensive but with the IP66 rating.

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  2. slivertoy

slivertoy Well-Known Member

hi guy's,
    I have a smittybuilt XC10 on my 80 at the moment, was a great unit for 3 or so years, plenty of use, the only problem I had with it was the control box/solenoid gave up last year and i bought a universal/tigerz11 control box and sealed heavy duty solenoid for it.
    worked good until i fried the winch motor last month on a loooooong rutted track, i was stuck on.:(
    so i'm in the market for new winch and the Runva 12,000lb with rope looks like the one to go with.
    Swaggie your info on the warranties was great reading and thanks for your time and efforts in doing so, it swayed me towards the Runva, that's for sure, thanks:)

3. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Thanks mate appreciate your feedback and Goodluck with your choice. :)

Cheers

4. BOUNCY HJ61

BOUNCY HJ61 Active Member

Greetings Wayne,
    Just Put An Order Down For A RUNVA 11,000xp.
    They Are So Popular, And Going Out The Door Faster Than Demand!

Just BEWARE That Warranty Is Covered On Purchasing From A Reputable Outlet, I Don't Think Online Purchases Are Covered The Same??? I Understand It has To Be A RUNVA Approved Store???

Cheers Michael

5. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Thanks for the heads up Michael I will look into it, I would have thought all the Manufacturers would be the same as far as approved stores, but the warranty should not change from an online approved store either.

It's a looong process but we will nail it eventually. Lol

Cheers

6. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Still waiting on a couple of the bigger manufacturers to come up with there warrant specs, there aware of this thread, i guess there going through it, sent off friendly reminders.

7. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

They better hurry up.
    My Son in Law is trading in on a new Triton and he is asking me about winches.
    I have refered him to this forum so he can see for himself.
    Cheers.

8. BOUNCY HJ61

Greetings Wayne,

Thanks Once Again For A Great Thread.
    Yesterday I Just Picked Up My RUNVA Winch, From ''Penrith Offroad Warehouse" Who Took All My Details Down In Their System In Case Of A Warranty Claim, And I Had Lost The Receipt, Just A Little Added Insurance I Guess.

One Surprise Was, The Box The Winch Came In Advertises:

One Year Full Coverage Warranty (not including cable)
    Life Time Warranty Mechanical Components

Even The Booklet Has No Warranty Card, Mentioning The 5 Year Electrical, Or Covered
    If Water Damaged?

But At Least It's On Their Web Site.

Anyway So Far All's Good.
    Great Price, Well Packaged, No Parts Missing.

* The Store Did Suggest That Every Winch Should Be Used Every 3 Months, To Dry Out Condensation, And To Move The Armature Around.
    * They Also Suggested Winching For 30 Seconds On 30 Seconds Off, To Assist Cooling
    And Checking IF The Rope Is Binding Against The ''Tie Bars", To Prevent Cracking The
    Tie Bar Mounts. Sounds Good Advise.

Cheers Michael

9. Colinp

Colinp Member

Thanks for the great thread,
    Just ordered my Runva winch, was always leaning towards the Runva after the winch comparo that 4wd action completed some time ago where the Runva came out on top. Then once this thread highlighted the warranty differences for each winch it was a easy choice.

10. bally

bally Banned

as an industrial sparktrician (deal with motors every god dam day) it would be advisable to use your winch more often then once every 3 months... in that time there can be plenty of corroding on contacts, armature etc, i would be doing it once every 3 weeks to be sure. also as a runva 11xp owner that has used it WAY beyond their recommendations, you can winch for a lot longer then 30 secs before needing to stop (could easily go to two minute intervals safely) longest i have winched off my was over 15mins straight and it is still pulling away happily. check your connections on your winch terminals as sometimes these get loose quickly, i would tighten them once every 2 months (bad connection = bad hotspots and higher current draw)

i can agree with them saying make sure you check your rope isnt binding up on one side of the drum because it WILL blow out the brace bars and they go off with a BANG :D

11. BOUNCY HJ61

Cheers Bally,

I Was Quietly Thinking To Myself More Often Than 3 Months Would Be Better.

Thanks For Sharing Your Interval Times. You Must Have Got Really Stuck To Need To Winch For 15 Min Straight Ha Ha Ha, But Good To Hear The Winch Handled It, And It Didn't Overload The Motor. What Do You Reckon Was Your Weight?
    Did You Get A Warranty Card In Your Box?

Does Binding Only Blow The Bars Or Is There Risk To The Bar Mounts?

Cheers Michael

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  12. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Thanks again Michael, I'm not sure if Runva have always been 5 years and from what you are saying they havn't, Its like David from T-max, he changed his electrical since this thread from 2 to 5 years as well, but to change it all on older products would run into the thousands.

But a as you said is stated on there website. Goodluck with your choice. ;)

Cheers.

13. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Thanks Colin :);)

14. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

I try and use my winch every 6 weeks, wind out under power and wind in under power.

The 30 sec on and off works well, sometimes I may do a minute and 30 sec off, especially over Summer when everything is hot including your batteries, your chances of going through batteries winching at longer intervals and stripping down amps etc etc, well eventually the vehicle lights,auxiliary will flicker on and off meaning the batteries getting low which is no good.

Once the vehicle is tied off to a tree safely I say what's the hurry, you only put unnecessary pressure on components, including the winch motor getting hot etc. Well that's how I do, People may disagree but over the years going through battery's etc it works for me taking my time with everything..

15. bally

bally Banned

i was winching up the side of a black clay hill in the rain... 0 traction. im not sure what it weighed but a gq patrol pretty much empty except for the usual tube barwork all round. cant remember from memory if i got a warranty card or not (im mates with the supplier anyway)

now when you bind up your rope on one side the most common thing to happen is to blow the rear bars out of the back of the winch, having done this on the tele track this year. if you continue to pull on the same angle its easy to bend the winch itself (my gearbox doesnt sit entirely square to the drum and motor due to this) also depending on what winch bar you have you could also bend the winch bar mounts too ( yep mine did this as well). i got in contact with my mate and he has told me that the new end plates and brace bars for the runva 11xp cost $180.

16. bally

bally Banned

this is true swaggie, but the problem i have with low mounts is they are sooooooooo slow!!! winching for 30 secs at a time can sometimes take your recovery out to over 1/2hr-1hr easily. and thats a lot of time if you have a few people ready to tackle what ever it is you've just gotten stuck in.... a lot of the time winching durations should be a matter of instinct not rules. if your seriously loaded up and the winch is barely doing anything then short duration's needed but if its happily pulling you a long then you can go on for a lot longer no worries at all

17. BOUNCY HJ61

Yeah, Reckon You Must Of Been Around The 2T Mark, Approaching Half The Winches Capacity. That's Bad Luck About The Damage, But At Least You Got Yourself Out Of Trouble.
    That Sound Like An Expensive Repair Bill For Replacement Parts.

Cheers Michael

18. BOUNCY HJ61

Thanks Wayne,

Really Happy With My Choice, Thanks To This Thread.
    And It's Nice Security For The Trip Away, Not Yet Knowing Where I May Find My Self.

Cheers Michael

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  19. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Kool Michael

If this is your first winch I suggest you go practice where you can before you need it out in the Bush, serious mistakes can be made especially if your nervous on a steep Hill, understand how everything works beforehand and your not under pressure. ;)

Goodluck. :);)

20. BOUNCY HJ61

Thanks Wayne,

Good Idea To Practice, And Get Familiar With It.
    I Bought A Isolator Switch Yesterday.
    I've Heard Stories Of People Causing Trouble To Others, And Connecting The Owners Winch To A Pole, Or Parked Car, While At The Shops. Then Unbeknown To The Owner, They Start To Drive Off And Cause Damage.

Don't Know How Often This Has Actually Happened.
    Would Be Curious If Anyone Could Share Their Experience.

Cheers Michael