Change background image

Winch Warranty's who to support and when to walk, WARN,Smittybilt,Runva,Ironman,Tmax etc

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Swaggie, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Thanks mate..

2. Masso

Masso New Member

What was the outcome for the Carbon Winches 12k winch?!

3. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

You have to change the seals on a yearly basis for the warranty of 5 years, first year supplied then after that you have to pay for them, I'd guess some vehicles you'd have to remove the bullbar etc, big job, the other winches in the buy section do not require this..

That's my understanding of it...
    Cheers

4. Masso

Masso New Member

Good to know. Would you buy one?

5. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi mate
    I helped someone I knew (met a couple of times) not long ago and it turned to crap over something he did.. So I don't like to comment...Sorry
    Oh it wasn't Carbon either...

A bit of effort/research was required to add the winches into the buy section, talking to manufacturers personally etc making sure where they stand and receiving written confirmation personally back then. One improved there warranty from 3 to 5 years.. All in the BUY section have been real easy to deal with. Some have in the Walk section too but have been unable to change there warranty unfortunately. Since the thread was started i havent had one complaint regarding them...

A member pulled his Runva winch apart last week from being on his vehicle for 5 years, been through many rivers and some flooded areas up north, his review will be posted in the coming weeks..

Goodluck with your choice...
    Cheers

Buxter likes this.
  6. Masso

Masso New Member

I got mine literally last week, installed professionally and i'm pretty excited to get out and give it a run. Happy to give you thoughts etc on it once i've had a play with it.

7. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Kool mate....
    Just remember also to keep pressure washers away from it, that goes for any winch...

8. Buxter

Buxter Well-Known Member

Runva EWX 12000 Stripdown and Service after 5 years plus, on 2 vehicles.

2 1/2 years back, I removed the Winch from the Patrol, before selling it, and with a slight adjustment to one of the brackets at the motor end of the winch bar, fitted it to our "new/secondhand" 79 Series V8 Diesel Landcruiser
    Thanks to Joey, my neighbour for the lift

A mobile phone snappin foto's is the go (as we do these days), it's the best reference library you can have !

Firstly the back of control box, then the rear of the Winch itself, whilst still on the "Cruiser" .
    I numbered all the cabled to the connection points, a very handy move I found out later.
    And a big thank you to Mr Runva for colour coding the cables also. Even a "dummy" like me can follow things.

IMG_20171120_175146271.jpg

another view, this time with other wires attached

IMG_20171120_175229899.jpg IMG_20171120_173625433.jpg

Bull-Bar, out and Winch out of the Cruiser

IMG_20171120_195625759.jpg

IMG_20171120_200407745.jpg

Now the fun begins
    I broke the winch into 3 obvious parts, the gearbox, tackled first, the drum and brake, and lastly the electric motor.

IMG_20171120_202654734.jpg

The gearbox end seal was in good nick, so it was removed and re-greased.
    The grease inside the gearbox has seen better days, and there appears to be a slight hint of water.
    Surprisingly good, for the amount of work it has done, and the number of river crossings, and outback floods it has been thru since first installed in the Poootrol, some 5 years back.

IMG_20171121_173644756.jpg
    Flip side of the gearbox end plate, (drum spool seal)

IMG_20171121_174417347.jpg
    Gear packs being removed, and inspected, all the way to the bottom of the gearbox, then the inner slide activation gear.
    It's the location of the gears that is important and not the names, (hehehehe) IMG_20171121_174503633.jpg

All gear packs had foto's taken, and placed on another part of the bench, "in order" that they were removed, awaiting a bath in 50/50 petrol-diesel mix.

IMG_20171121_175039031.jpg

That looks pretty "gungy" down there, but lubrication id better than in a lot of winches I have seen whilst researching "winch rebuilds"
    Finally the outer slide/engaging ring is removed.

IMG_20171121_175656423.jpg

As i said before, I had made up a bath of 50/50 diesel-petrol mix, in a plastic bucket, and it was "bath and dry out time" for everything.
    Keeping in mind that "order of removal" was individually reversed.

IMG_20171122_130517636_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171122_130521223.jpg

IMG_20171122_130530221.jpg

Once the gearbox was fully greased, I then slipped it into a clean plastic bag and put it aside for a few days, until final assembling of the complete winch took place.

IMG_20171122_132158348.jpg

Note ........ put things down in order, and when re-assembling reverse that order.

Part 2 will follow in a couple of days

Cheers Buxter

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Thug, slivertoy, Spooner and 3 others like this.
  9. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Thug likes this.