Change background image

Winch Warranty's who to support and when to walk, WARN,Smittybilt,Runva,Ironman,Tmax etc

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Swaggie, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi Mr T-Max Australia..:);)

Welcome to the 4x4Earth forum mate...

2. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

Found this on the internet, please correct me if this is wrong.
    I like IP67 or IP68 ratings especially if I am stuck in a river.
    engineeringtoolbox.com
    "quote"

IP Rating

With the IP rating IP 54, 5 describes the level of protection from solid objects and 4 describes the level of protection from liquids.

An "X" can used for one of the digits if there is only one class of protection, i.e. IPX1 which addresses protection against vertically falling drops of water e.g. condensation..

IP First number - Protection against solid objects
    0 No special protection
    1 Protected against solid objects over 50 mm, e.g. accidental touch by persons hands.
    2 Protected against solid objects over 12 mm, e.g. persons fingers.
    3 Protected against solid objects over 2.5 mm (tools and wires).
    4 Protected against solid objects over 1 mm (tools, wires, and small wires).
    5 Protected against dust limited ingress (no harmful deposit).
    6 Totally protected against dust.

IP Second number - Protection against liquids
    0 No protection.
    1 Protection against vertically falling drops of water e.g. condensation.
    2 Protection against direct sprays of water up to 15o from the vertical.
    3 Protected against direct sprays of water up to 60o from the vertical.
    4 Protection against water sprayed from all directions - limited ingress permitted.
    5 Protected against low pressure jets of water from all directions - limited ingress.
    6 Protected against temporary flooding of water, e.g. for use on ship decks - limited ingress permitted.
    7 Protected against the effect of immersion between 15 cm and 1 m.
    8 Protects against long periods of immersion under pressure.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  3. david mac namara

david mac namara New Member

T-max winches

good question
    the ip rating definitions somtimes make it a little confusing
    the testing methods make it more practicle
    so lets just deal with the second digit because its the water indicator
    ip66 is water blasted at fire hydrant 100psi from all angles
    ip67 is submerged in 1 metre of water for 1/2 hour under pressure
    ip68 is submerged in greater than 1 metre of water for greater than 1/2 hour as specified by the tester.
    failure at these tests is determined by greater than a teaspoon of water
    this is the 1st stage in our R&D and agree if stuck in a water crossing it would be ideal to be able to just winch your way out.
    the information gained from conducting these tests has gone a long way in the future development of the T-max winches.
    IP66 will however allow for driving through water at a moderate speed for less than 1/2 hour and still have the confidence to use your winch.
    have a look at the testing photos attached
    cheers
    Dave

Attached Files:

4. BOUNCY HJ61

BOUNCY HJ61 Active Member

Great To See Product Confidence!
    And Providing Customers A Product They Can Buy With Confidence!

Good On Ya.

Cheers Michael

5. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

These pictures were sent to my email from (David owner of T-Max Winches Australia)..Because he hasn't signed up to picture hosting site like Picaso etc Ive uploaded them to my site so the answer to Rogers question regarding IP66 and can be completed promptly...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  6. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Yes Michael its great to see winch manufacturers/distributor's willing to come onboard and willing too sign up and engage with members with any questions they may have about their product/s

Some havn't bothered to return emails or return calls. SO if your going to buy there winches good luck I say. :eek::eek:

7. BOUNCY HJ61

BOUNCY HJ61 Active Member

Cheers Swaggie,
    Just Seems Funny A Little Unknown Brand Like "RUNVA" Can Offer The Best Warranty,
    And Customer Service Under All Conditions.
    I Couldn't Imagine Winches Being Such A Highly Competitive Market, But They've Certainly Raised The Bar. I Dare Say, Their Prices Wont Stay That Low For Too Long, Once The Word Gets Around.

As For Premier I Guess They've Not Returned Calls, Or Made Any Effort To Reply. Hmmm.

Cheers Michael

8. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi Michael

Yes mate the winch industry is a highly competive industry, as you see in the buy section each winch has a special feature the other has not, the buyer has to sort out what would be better for there use, of course price comes into it also. Some may say that these features may extend the life of the winch with annual maintenance after the warranty has expired.

But at least this thread helps sort out who has faith in their winches for the said purpose and for the length of there warranty and who doesn't.. :eek::eek:

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  9. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

G'day Dave. Just got back from a camping/hunting trip so just read your post.
    Thanks for your reply and explanation.
    I reckon you covered my answers and when I get another winch, I reckon T-Max is on the list. I might try and knock you down on price, but heck you can't blame me for trying. I would be happy to pass your info on to my son in law who is buying a new 4wd and winch to go.
    Thanks again for your straight and clear answers.
    Cheers.

10. david mac namara

david mac namara New Member

all good mate
    when u are ready we can look after you
    T-Max Australia don't sell retail ,but we support a number retail outlets throughout Australia
    happy to point you in the direction of the best deal
    Cheers

11. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Fantastic News from T-Max Winches

This is great news for the winch consumer.. Not only is there Xpower Winch IP66 rated David has now bumped up the electrical warranty to 5 years, so both mechanical and electrical have a 5 year warranty including water ingress should it ever happen..

Well done guys...

12. goldrush

goldrush Moderator

Awesome. I already have a T-Max on "The Golden One" and this has convinced me to get another T-Max for the Colorado. Thanks David and thanks Wayne for taking the time to look into all this for us.

13. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan New Member

Hey Swaggie, this is a great thread with great info and I'd like to thank you and the others that contributed for it. It made buying my first winch a lot easier because I thought they all liked the odd bath. Stupid marketing.

Ended up going for the Ironman Monster 12000lb with steel cable - $850 from 4wd1.com - should have it next week.

Cheers

14. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Thanks mate that's great news, That's the reason for this thread to help people understand the warranty terms and pick the right winch suited to them. .

This type of feedback helps me to keep on keeping on. ..lol

Cheers. .

15. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Thanks bud.;)

16. Rooboy2724

Rooboy2724 Member

Well the final result from Opposite lock and the VRS winch is $140 to fix that's parts and labour, I wasn't going to pay at first but I have too much going on at the moment to argue with them any longer.

They covered the control box under warranty as they have a known issue with it (so if any one else has had issues with the control box I'd be querying this with them), I had to pay for the brushes which were rusted out $40 plus labour $100 for an hours work which included them pulling it out cleaning it up fitting parts and fitting it back in which took about four hours going by the time my wife spent waiting, when I went in to look how things were progressing with the winch last week the guy out the back showed me the winch and took off the cover so I could see the work he had done, the only thing else I had him do while I was watching was to put some grease on the o-ring.
    He told me to run it in and out more often and especially if it's had a dip in water.
    It wasn't the best outcome but am happy I did not have to fork out for a new winch or pay more for the parts and labour.
    I have attached some pics of the winch before it was fixed, the water had only had only gone in the area were the electrics were and the gears are okay.

Big thanks Swaggie for all your help next time we're down that way I'll shout you a beer or... few :)

Attached Files:

17. Cavsarge

Cavsarge Member

Very interesting read this topic, I ran the Terrain Tamer on my last truck, 02 TD5 110, and was very happy with both its performance and quality. Currently looking t a winch for the Lux and after much research had settled on the Runva, just came across the Smittybuilt X20 series at the local ARB.
    They are selling these next to the Warns and are advertised as fully water proof, quick glance at their website has an impressive list of features/capabilities etc - keen to hear thoughts on these as they certainly look well put together?

18. Bushwanderer

Bushwanderer New Member

Hi Swaggie,
    Many thanks for your efforts.

Before reading this thread,I would have gone for the Warn winch, due to its reputation. You have saved me from a costly error.

Best Wishes,
    Peter

19. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Smittybuilt are big thing with the jeep mob especially in the USA . If you haven't already, check any jeep related forums or sites. I'm sure there'll be a lot of info on them, Just remember.
    It's a jeep thing. lol

20. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi mate

They havn't bothered to get back to Me from the show over 3 weeks ago after several verbal attemps by me and another member, So i will put them in the walk section until they want to talk, I am sorry to say also you'll have to pull it out and pull it down when you get a chance and seal it up yourself because the same thing is likely to happen with water in gress...If you need help just text me when your ready.

Those pics are taken about 10 months from New right. ?, Bloody pathetic and its a wonder they have a water clause and that's because they have NO FAITH in there winches. If I owned a winch company and that was happening on regular basis I would hang my head in shame, My Warn was a lot worse than that after a few months from New. I would be totally embarrassed to have to deal with a customer and make them aware of the water exclusion policy in the warranty, you don't even need to go offload for water to get in, heavy showers on the bitumen will do it, they allow the water in on mild unprotected steel which is the motor and brushes you can see your pics, make them prove you have been through rivers. (If you know what I mean ;) ) :mad::mad::mad:

Sorry I coudnt help you further.

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013