Change background image

Winch Warranty's who to support and when to walk, WARN,Smittybilt,Runva,Ironman,Tmax etc

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Swaggie, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

I managed to plough through it once, but the clutch smelt for the first time lol , never again, I avoid winter driving full stop, Its slippery and downright dangerous (nothing worse than sliding backwards in the clay and having little control down a steep hill) but each to there own.

2. underdog

underdog Well-Known Member

That 200 series looks abit uncomfortable :/ they slide back?

3. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Nope , he was stuck but we winched him around with the trees on the side , to point him in the right direction , so he could back up and drive back down.

4. shaun0

shaun0 Member

Only way with slippery clay haha rhymes! Is to use chains I reckon but would dig the track up.

5. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

Speaking of winches, if youre looking for one check my sig for link to the sale section. Brand new, in boxes with warranty TMAX TMAEW9000lb... steel cable @$550. Looks like i only have two left. Exact same winch on Gumtree, second hand is the same price Im asking for new. If you go back to page 1, TMAX are on the buy from list.

I have passed it by the mods first and they have gratuitously given me the nod to post it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  6. Luthy

Luthy Active Member

Okay so im getting a new winch and these mew Tmax look good. Anyone got one?

Also looking at the carbon winches any thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  7. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

Ive got one best winch I ever owned
    Yeah me too
    And me, I got two, theyre awesome

wait... probably would work better if I logged in as different people yeah? I didnt think this through, Ill back out now. :D

8. Luthy

Luthy Active Member

Lol so which winch is which? The Carbon or the Tmax?

9. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

HI Luthy
    The Carbon you need to replace the motor seal every twelve months, he supplies the first one after that you buy them, the T-Max you do nothing..

Your choice tho ;)

10. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

What ^^ he said. Honestly I havent used either, I just got a chance to move some TMAXes cheap and they have decent reputation and are on the buy from list here. I bought a Runva probably 2 years ago (again, because of this thread) but if I was buying now, Id just keep 2 of these instead of one (going on my sons rig).

11. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

My Runva is now installed, heaps faster than the Aldi winch ever was but yet to test it under load. Install went well and put the solenoid box under the bonnet so that was a bit of extra work. After it was all installed I gave it a test and found the blue trigger wire in the solenoid box had a dodgy crimp connection so only the wireless remote worked not the hardwired controller. An easy fix but poor quality control because it was obviously not tested or checked in production. The gear box engage / disengage lever works extremely well, 100% better than the previous winch.
    I am still considering replacing the supplied D shackle connecting block ( not sure what they are called ) with a traditional hook, not sure I like the idea of a extra shackle...
    Looking forward to using rope not wire!!

komaterpillar, slivertoy and Swaggie like this.
  12. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

I had thought you were referring to the snatch block, but closer reading suggests they are using like the Factor 55 connectors? Is that what you mean? Im pretty sure they hijacked a lifting term and call them a thimble, same name as the metal loop in the end of a rope to put the pins through.

13. bricat

bricat Member

So the 4x4 show is on this weekend and I'm buying a winch. So the Runva is the pick? I'll get the 12000 lb one for my 80 series. I have an old xd9000/9500 lb one I took off the 80 series which was full of water when I first got it(secondhand). Should do the Prado now it's sealed. I don't mind paying more dollars as long as you get increased quality with it.
    PS. Great job and thanks

Kath Wood likes this.
  14. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

Brian, get the new 13XP from Runva. Same IP67 as the 11XP. It just came out and only $20 more.

bricat likes this.
  15. Ian Christensen

Ian Christensen New Member

I rang to get weights on the 11xp a month or so ago, the lady said the winch/rope and electrics weighs in at 35kgs, that neally 10kgs heavier than the Carbons. Does this sound correct? 10 kgs on a smaller duel cab, IFS ute is a lot.

16. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

If that's the lady I have spoken to at Runva she is hopeless.......
    http://www.runvawinch.com.au/11xp-12v-premium-with-dyneema-rope

The 11Xp weighs 31.4KG ( 33.4 inc packaging ) according to the above website.
    This website says the Carbons is 23.4kg. I find that very hard to believe. Almost every 11 - 12000 lb winch is 29 to 32kg.
    https://www.autopartsco.com.au/carbon-winch-12k-with-synthetic-rope
    Also this website says 31Kg. More probable.
    https://www.kpd4x4.com/carbon-12k-12000lb-electric-winch-with-synthetic-r

17. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Iv got an 11XP and id be surprised if its more than 30kgs, its really not that heavy

18. Ian Christensen

Yes up to 10kgs weight saving is hard to believe, Carbon confirmed the 31 kg is the shipping weight with the snatch block etc included and that 25kg is for the winch/control box and rope . That's why I rang Runva to see if I could get the same information from them. I am currently fitting out a Dmax to tour and if we travelling alone (single vehicle) a winch would allow us to maybe go places we normally wouldn't alone. Weight is a big factor for me with this decision, hence all the questions.
    Cheers Ian

19. komaterpillar

komaterpillar Well-Known Member

I'll have my 11xp out of the bar in about a week, I'll chuck it on the scales.

20. Ian Christensen

That would be awesome, Thanks