Change background image

Winch Warranty's who to support and when to walk, WARN,Smittybilt,Runva,Ironman,Tmax etc

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Swaggie, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi Mick
    As we have dumb pollies working for us and have allowed the Chinese to under value there dollar and watching all our manufacturing walk off shore with our jobs, the U.S etc have watched it also. Instead they should have introduced like a tariff to equal out using the Chinese , Hence it's not worth going offshore....

I've been Al over China, Alby is pretty much spot on.

Albynsw likes this.
  2. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi mate
    Thanks for the feedback ,i think one and two are already up there.. Maybe if you could send something as an example ;)..I havn't the time atm but maybe worth looking at it in the near future... Also there's so many new Winches coming onto the market lol , notice Dobinson have one recently.

Cheers

phs likes this.
  3. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Yeah I could one day if I have some spare time
    Lol

Could You tell me what your choice is bang for buck / warranty ?

4. Mad Mick

Mad Mick New Member

I do understand that but my point is perhaps it would make more sense to support an Australian maker where you can actually talk to the people that make the product so they can perhaps adjust their product to combat issues or perceived problems people are having with winches rather than buying the same stuff and crying about the same issues and wondering why so little changes.
    I am just putting this forward as a more proactive idea rather than seeing so many throw good after bad and still there are very few that can be called product or market leaders.

5. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Yeah understand what you are saying
    There seems to be a bit of a lean in that direction with some offering IP rated gear etc now so hopefully others follow suit and start lifting the bar a bit

Are there any Aussie made winches ? I am not aware of any

The problem with anyone wanting to head down this path with a Chinese manufacturer is that you need to buy a substantial quantity with payment up front which is difficult unless you already have a good foothold in the market

6. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi
    Just recently i helped a member (who i met a handful of times) with the choice of Winch, it went south over a 50 cent generic o-ring (to my total surprise).. i'd been asked what I'd buy not necessarily bang for buck tho but higher end..

With this thread I've just tried to find the best Winches based on back up Warranties. Hopefully the choice of the six can help you out a bit..

Cheers..

Buxter, abw and 80lover96gxl like this.
  7. Buxter

Buxter Active Member

And he really showed his true colours !

Swaggie likes this.
  8. adamjammo

adamjammo Member

Got a winch story for you guys. Not warranty related but is about ironman.

A mate brought a new Holden colarado (wagon) from Holden Cranbourne and got the 4x4 extras thrown in from Cranbourne ironman, including winch bullbar lift etc etc. also brand new BFG 32 inch ATs

So anyways. We're away on our boys weekend upto wood wood a few weeks back. The joint flooded. 300mm of water pretty much as soon as you hit the state Forrest. So being foolish Idoits full of a beers at 6pm my mate with the Holden and another mate with a brand new ranger (picked up the night before, also with the works installed by Cranbourne iron man and BFG 33inch mts) and myself (no winch, no lift. Standard 29inch ATs) go for a explore through this water.

Dumb idea enough so we turned around about a 1k in but the boys were being clowns and got stuck &$#@##$ around. Lucky for me I could turn around no worries and headed straight back to leave them to &@#$ around.

So anyways they're both winching off each other, trees etc getting themselves to solid tracks to get out. Few times of this, and The ranger then gets stuck in a deep rut and so the colarado is winching the ranger out. It's a tough recovery so he's winding it in and throws it in reverse. Within seconds the Holden loses power to all accessories and the motor.

Anyways we get the ranger out wait till morning and tow the colarado out. Some tinking and what not finally gets towed down to Holden swan hill. Blah blah blah normal bull shit. 24 hours later on the Friday heading into cup weekend at 3pm, Holden discover that iron man have wired the winch through accessories fuse box instead of an inline fuse direct to the battery. Cooked the whole box and fuses and Sure enough being a wagon they can't get a part down to Swan hill from Melbourne until Wednesday and installed Thursday (typically all the boys pck up and leave on the Tuesday). Holden invoices him $500 for labour and parts etc, would cost him two days wages, and two nights extra accommodation to stay in Swan hill plus meals.

Waiting to meet up with him again this weekend to hear the story of what the reaction was of iron man when he slapped the invoices on bench.

Hope this makes sense. Bloody hard writing this much on an iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2016
    slivertoy and komaterpillar like this.
  9. komaterpillar

komaterpillar Well-Known Member

Haha i feel for your mate but "accessory fitters" nuf said. Winch should be wired direct to the start battery, no fuse just i high amperage isolator

slivertoy likes this.
  10. adamjammo

adamjammo Member

I'm really surprised honestly. Two cars weeks apart wired differently at the same place. And the bullbar/ winch are all iron man so I assume they would install many of these a week!!

11. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

To finalize this TMax situation, Dave from Tmax has sent the person two replacement seals at no cost.He has received them...This happened weeks ago I've just remembered now..:confused:
    Not bad for no replacement parts huh...

Albynsw likes this.
  12. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Can I get warranty if my rope colour fades ;)

Swaggie likes this.
  13. Buxter

Buxter Active Member

No...
    But you might consider takiing them to VCAT !
    hahahahahahahahahahahaha

14. Buxter

Buxter Active Member

Suprise !
    I had a call from Dan K, Yesterday !
    Thank you Dan for contacting me, after a couple of failed calls from me, to try and sort out our differences.

Carbon Winches are to release a new Warranty statement on "water ingress", very soon, as Dan told me that they have done heaps of work on seals, ect to ensure that water never gets into the motor, or gearbox, and they will include a spare seal kit, which when doing your maintenance, you will probably need, to keep the winch in good working condition.
    He is definitely an advocate for doing maintenance.
    It will be interesting to read it, and if it is as good as what he indicated to me.

Getting closer to Runva Winch Warranty, I certainly hope so !
    Can't wait !
    I did forget to ask Dan K will they include their already sold winches under the new warranty. Bugger !

Cheers
    Buxter

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  15. dank

dank New Member

Hi All, unfortunately I can't get on here as much as I would like to address any specific questions, however we do have some news the readers might be interested in. The new shipment of winches being dispatched next week and all CW-12k winches ongoing from this point forward will be covered by a 5 year Water Ingress Protection Warranty, as well as the 5 year electrical and lifetime mechanical warranty. This new addition to the warranty does not cover previously supplied winches.

As Buxter stated we have redesigned some parts of the winch to improve the sealing to a point where we are happy to cover the motor AND the gearbox for mechanical and electrical failure due to water ingress for 5 years from date of purchase.

We simply have one condition to maintain the water IP component of the warranty. That is to replace the drum lip seals once every 12 months. The drum lip seals are a wear item, they are susceptible to wear and tear or damage from environmental elements such as mud, sand, salt, dust etc. Nothing else has to be touched, no maintenance, no inspections, just change the drum seals every 12 months. You can view the full warranty document here: http://www.carbonwinches.com.au/CarbonWinchesWarrantyDEC2016.pdf

We'll include a free set of seals with every winch, so that will get you sorted for the first two years. After that the seals are available for $25 pair posted Aus wide direct from us.

We will also be offering a full seal replacement kit if you want to do a full rebuild of the seals on your winch. These will also be available for sale direct from us, along with things like replacement armature bearings, solenoids, ropes and hooks.

We are really making an effort to try and service this product to the market to the fullest extent possible and provide the highest level of value for the end user ongoing, as well as covering our bases from a business sense and making sure that all dealings when it comes to warranty issues, IF ever required are dealt with swiftly and without fuss.

I am unable to monitor this thread ongoing, and I invite anyone with any concerns or questions to simply contact me before making any assumptions about how we go about business. We are not here to deceive or rip anyone off, we genuinely want to build this brand into a market leader here in Australia and I would really appreciate getting in touch to have a chat if there is something you need answered.

If you wish to ask any questions please call 1300 780 141 or you can message us on the facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/Carbonwinch/

16. Deccas

Deccas Member

so does anyone know the brand that is the ALDI winch? that one sounds pretty interesting

17. MyCrazy80

MyCrazy80 Well-Known Member

Wasn't it a rebranded ironman? My grog affected brain is failing me as I can't remember.

adamjammo likes this.
  18. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

And an Ironman is a rebranded ????
    Tink

19. MyCrazy80

MyCrazy80 Well-Known Member

itlldoo and Tink like this.
  20. George Goosen

George Goosen New Member

Restarting an old thread, Im curious to hear if people are still standing strong with the Runva winches.

Maybe stated in this thread that they had picked them up, Is everyone still happy?

Have there been any changes to the "in" group?