Change background image

Winch Warranty's who to support and when to walk, WARN,Smittybilt,Runva,Ironman,Tmax etc

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Swaggie, Jul 31, 2013.

1. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

Sorry Swaggie.
    I have just read the warranty on the Ironman Winches that was supplied and it really does not specify what water ingress under normal use mean.
    Is "normal use" use during rain, use dry weather and it gets condensation.
    What do they mean about water ingress. Is that moisture?
    I also note that they do not cover winch if it is operated underwater, ie. river.
    I still reckon it is ambigious.
    I recieved an email from Tigerz11 as well as visiting their warehouse to be shown how they seal their winches. They fellow told me

"The winches are extremely water resistant
    You can by all means do river crossings with this winch,
    Once you have returned home after doing river crossings feed the rope out with the wireless remote once or twice,
    We recommend the winches are used once or twice a month"

Sounds same as Ironman to me???

2. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi Roger

Thanks for the questions mate,that's what its all about,Did you look at the Warranty Adam posted me back in the first post,i changed it later this afternoon..Under the Buy section at number 2 ...:);)

There warranty is now nothing like Tigerz i.m.h.o..But i will send Adam another email with your questions..To clear it up if you like,Will also invite Ironman to the site..

Email sent to Ironman with your questions..

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. BOUNCY HJ61

BOUNCY HJ61 Active Member

Greetings Swaggie,

Hope You Get Some Feed Back From "Premier Winches" Soon, They're A Bit Slack?
    The "Runva 11xp" Is Looking Really Tempting, Before I go Away.

Cheers Michael

4. BOUNCY HJ61

Cheers Bally,

Thinking About The 11xp Now.

Cheers Michael

5. rogerazz

Thanks mate. I will do some more research with Tigerz11. Seeing you are doing heaps of work with all of them. Who knows , sounds like you have started the "Big new change in warranties on winches running through and maybe even operating under water".
    I am not experienced in winches at all. So I will just keep asking questions. Call it the Devil's advocate.

6. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi Michael

Yeah mate imagine if it was about your which playing up. ?.:eek::eek:

7. BOUNCY HJ61

Greetings Swaggie,

What's It Been, 2 Weeks Already? And No Reply, Slack, Slack, Slack.
    Doesn't Build Very Good Customer Confidence.

Your Right Swaggie, I Wouldn't Want To Be Waiting, To See If They Will "Warrant Their Warranty"

Cheers Michael

8. Ironman 4x4

Ironman 4x4 Active Member

Hey rogerazz

Normal usage means just that, normal usage (what you'd expect to be doing with it out on the tracks).

Of course we'll warrant for use during rain and we openly admit that condensation can form within the winch without ever going through a river which is why we recommend using or at least powering the winch regularly to ensure that any condensation that does form is evaporated with the heat of the motor during use. We'll cover for use during river crossings and submersion, but use use of the winch whilst doing these crossings and submersion would be beyond what we consider 'normal'.

Regular use and maintenance of winches are key to longevity. If you do happen to use it underwater/submerged then I'd suggest getting your winch serviced because there is no knowing how much or little water got in it.

Hope that clarifies things a little, I'm more than happy to field any questions in regards to what we'd consider normal usage.

Already on here Swaggie :D, we'll keep an eye on the forum for any specific questions.

9. rogerazz

Thanks for your reply. At least you are prepared to answer questions and make it clear and understandable. Much appreciated.
    Being new to winches and their operation let me ask another question.
    Is it of any use in relation to water ingress to locate control box/solenoid higher on vehicle, say higher in engine bay?

10. Ironman 4x4

No problem mate, we try our best.

There is merit in placing the control box in a place that minimises its exposure to water. But from our experience if cared for properly there shouldn't be any issues. Maybe just every year or two open up the control box and check for moisture and if you get a chance add a bit of a water dispersal agent before sealing it up properly again. (To give you an indication, we leave the control boxes on the bull bars of all our Ironman 4x4 vehicles and haven't had any issues. Leaving it on the bull bar also provides the convenience of being able to plug in your winch controller if needed, rather than needing to pop the bonnet)

11. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Thanks Ironman for answering members questions.

12. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

can i just say with some other manufacturers recent policies against forums and opinions i think it is great that they are not only are Ironman are participating on this forum they are willing to stand by their products and increase customer service.

nice change :) kudos to you

p.s. can i get a free winch :D

Kieran C likes this.
  13. Ironman 4x4

Cheers smitty,

Really appreciate the support.

:p For a small donation of the retail price of the winch, I'll give you a free one :p

14. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Spoke to TJM Head Office,returning phone call Monday..

Avenger Winches: Spoke to Jeff,he is sending me the correct Warranty with terms and conditions,not sure how the canopy warranty got in there...:confused::confused::eek::eek:

15. Rooboy2724

Rooboy2724 Member

I have a VRS 9000lb winch which i used once in 12 months only to have it fail as soon as i was out of the bog, took it back to OL and they are refusing to cover it due to water ingress, they will replace the faulty power box but not the actual winch.

Thay say that we should of run out approx 5 meters of cable to dry it every time it got wet, this seems like a lot to me and who has the time to do this type of service?

16. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi mate

Thanks for your post, its important members post there experiences,I'm afraid this type of stuff happens way too often leaving 4wdrivers high and dry (pardon the pun lol).. That's the reason for this post. People deserve better in my opinion.

I'll try get there winch warranty and have a look. How old is the winch, as a guess it's 12 months old and I think they have a 2 year warranty.

At least if you have to buy another there's two Companies in the buy list that cover water ingress.I am confident more manufacturers will come onboard. .:)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  17. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Yes Opposite lock only sell these two winches (electrical)..

18. Rooboy2724

Rooboy2724 Member

Yes the winch is only just 12 months old, we are a little annoyed with the treatment we have received by a company that supposedly prides themselves on their customer service.

They told us they will give us a good deal on a new one if they are not going to repair/replace on warranty, think we will be going else where for the purchasing of another brand.

Cheers

19. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Not good mate ive had the same treatment off another BIG Manufacturer and Re-seller..If you were closer by i would have had a look for you..Mate it may not be all doom and gloom,look at my Picaso pics and then the Warn winch pictures,believe it or not, its possible to get it running even from that mess mine was in..But its ideal if they sealed them like they should it wouldn't happen in the first place..

If you PM me your number i can chat about your options (rebuild/test etc etc)..

20. david mac namara

david mac namara New Member

Dave MacNamara

Hi
    interesting forum
    sorry for not participating already
    Wayne made contact with me only yesterday about the T-Max winch warranty
    T-Max has only just announced our IP66 rated,Australian Government tested(simtars)
    WATER PROOF Winch
    see the latest 4x4 Australia magazine advertisement
    Look for the new X-POWER series

T-Max Australia has a 5 year mechanical/2 year Electrical Warranty

WE DO NOT EXCLUDE WATER INGRESS TO OUR WARRANTY

T-MAX have announced the 1st IP66 independently tested water proof winch because it has been a major project of our company now for the last 3 years!!
    IP66 is a world standard,tested by 100psi water blasting the winch for a period time along with the 8 hour Vacuum chamber under pressure test for DUST !!