Change background image

Winch Warranty's who to support and when to walk, WARN,Smittybilt,Runva,Ironman,Tmax etc

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Swaggie, Jul 31, 2013.

1. BOUNCY HJ61

BOUNCY HJ61 Active Member

This Will Be Interesting Swaggie,
    Several Years Ago They Had A Very Good Reputation, But Haven't Been In The Media
    For A While, And I Can't Remember If They Were Water Tight, Or Where They Were
    Made?

Also "TERRAIN TAMER", I've Heard Dismantle Their Winches From Their Supplier, Then
    Re-seal Them, But Unsure If Water Tight?

Cheers Michael

2. BOUNCY HJ61

BOUNCY HJ61 Active Member

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  3. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

That's quite a high end winch mate, similar to the Warn High mount,looks to be better made and a bit more expensive too, anyway there warranty isn't downloadable either will have to email them. ..

4. Boofdtl

Boofdtl New Member

Got a 12000 ironman at home on the beanch getting ready to svc to nite the guy has put it through hell back so just doing a svc and a clean out...

I run one as well and find it to be ok had no probs so far.....

5. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi mate

Can you take some pictures please and do a quick report on what you think. .:);)

6. Boofdtl

Boofdtl New Member

No probs will try to do a break down report and repair write up

7. Tornado_ALIVE

Tornado_ALIVE Member

I just bought a Runva 11xp.......... So am very happy reading through this thread :)

8. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Kool mate glad its been of some use...:);)

9. Colinp

Colinp Member

Runva winch

I am about to fit a bullbar and winch, settling on the Arb bar and Runva winch, after lots of reading and considering the 4wd action winch comparo which tthe Runva came out on top and now this thread the Runva will be sitting on front of tne dmax.
    It was interesting when looking at the different options Arb would not fit any other winch option they were only interested in selling me the warn winch.

Hence I have since found a 4x4 workshop that offers good advise and options from his own experience and his customers experience and feedback

10. Grumpy

Grumpy Moderator

Swaggie ever thought of buying one off ebay my last 3 I have paid a total of $800 delivered, the 1st I had for three years and pulled it out after heaps of use, gave it to a mate to overhaul and he repacked it and cleaned it out and said it was in excellent condition so gave it to another member who couldn't afford one, the other two are brand new 13000lb winches, one I put in the 80 series which I gave to my son which meant I then needed a new one for the 76 series I just bought so for roughly three hundred dollars each I don't worry about warrantees at all.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  11. kinghit

kinghit New Member

Got the Runva ,all good.

12. LowLux

LowLux Moderator

Which winch is that Grumps, "Runva"? I wouldn't mind looking at them.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
  13. AussieBrent

AussieBrent Member

Just got the VRS 12500 winch I won from OL and was reading the manual and warranty information, no where in the warranty information does it mention water.

It does mention the following:

The warranty does not apply 1) finish 2) wire rope 3) If the winch has been damaged or abuse, accident, misuse,overloading, collision, modification, misapplications, improper installation or improper service.

Just curious if a water crossing and the winch got damaged would be considered misuse or misapplication?

It does state on the box in part of the features:

Sealed to resist water penetration does penetration include a river crossing thou? or just rain?

Apart from wondering about this information looks a dam sweet winch :)

14. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

"Penetration" reads to me as driving in the rain or washing with a hose.
    Submersion on the other hand would suggest being underwater for some period of time.

Great thread Swaggie.

15. TheLocksmith

TheLocksmith New Member

What's the difference between high mount and low mount?

Also what performance difference?

Come Get Some - Sent from my iPhone

16. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

I am led to understand that this thread is all about winches exposed to submersion in water ie. rivers. etc. and whether particular brands cover this in their warranty.
    I believe this thread is not meant to espose the effectivness of operation, strenght, longivity, etc. Therefore I would not put to much importance on these points, as some users are much harder on winches than other users.
    I am just interested in how a winch goes underwater, if covered by warranty and what is service backup like in respect of water ingress repairs.
    Also is there anything I can do to a winch which will make it more waterproof?

17. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi Brent

Yeah thats interesting isnt it,i dont know how they would go legally with it,They've mentioned everything else it excludes but water.So i guess if its not on there exclude list they have to warrant it...

18. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hiya Grumps

Yeah i guess for $300 you wouldn't expect much of a Warranty well i wouldnt,For $2400 I'd expect they at least warrant for the period on there Warranty which in my case was 1 year...

Glad you've had a great Ebay run on Winches,Its not really saying much for the rest is it...Most would be better to come clean,either warrant the product you advertise it will do or not warrant it at all instead of hiding behind the small print...

19. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi Roger

Thats it mate,Warranty only..Your stuck between a rock and a hard place as far as improving the winch while under the warranty period..Fiddle with it and they'll walk from there obligation..
    But in the case of Tigerz there warranty isnt worth jack as far as water goes,so if it was me (only hypothetical..lol) i would throw the 5 year warranty down the dunny and make the necessary improvements because water is an issue with me and where i travel...Walhalla,Dargo,Butcher Country,Woods point etc etc,all have several river crossings in country they advertise all there winches can handle without any issues..:eek::eek:

Well the WARN 9.5xp for one cannot handle these conditions full-stop from new (have the motor sealed and repacked with grease either by yourself or Mel Leslie and your chances improve to 80-90%).Ive spoken to other members in the past and there winches couldn't handle it either (new motors or free-spool seizure's etc etc)...

Like the Exclusion from this manufacturer:

Exclusions

This Warranty does not cover any defect or injury caused by, or associated with improper installation or maintenance; unauthorised service, repair, modification or alteration; unsuitable physical or operating environment; electrical supply; acts of God; misuse, abuse or neglect; accidental damage, or other alterations or modifications which affect the reliability or performance of the product not attributable to a defect in materials or workmanship.

Not sure about the act of God bit...lmao,this probably excludes if you say (Jesus Christ this winch is a piece of sh!te)..or (oh my God its a little ripper)..I'd say the warranty dude has a great sense of humour...lmao

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  20. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Different design mate,Do a Google search,they still have issues but they also have a faster wind in rate,normally used for competitions..