Change background image

Why would anyone want to fit an ARB air locker?

Discussion in 'Differentials' started by mattyboii, Jul 6, 2012.

1. cloughcarib

cloughcarib Well-Known Member

Hi Swaggie. Unfortunately Eaton do not yet do an e locker for my car, and I spoke to Brian about........MMMMMM?

That's another thread.:D

2. ARB4x4

ARB4x4 New Member

Hi Mattyboii, we are obviously very disappointed to read your post and hear of your experience with one of our stores. Clearly this isn't the level of customer service we expect from our stores and stockists.

As such, we have contacted the stores in question and, whilst it's been difficult to follow up with the staff members you've mentioned given the time that's since lapsed (Warren at Moorebank left two years ago), we've certainly raised the issue with the Store Managers.

Whilst customer service is something we've always focused heavily on, it’s something we’re paying particular attention to at the moment. Rest assured, all of the feedback in this thread is being passed on to our Management Team for review.

Regarding the suggestion that our Air Lockers are being manufactured in China, this is simply not true. Our Air Lockers are, and always have been, manufactured at our main factory in Melbourne (currently Kilsyth). In fact we're not too far away from releasing our 250,000th Australian made Air Locker.

We recently ran a tour of our factory for another forum to show them the Air Locker assembly line and the rest of the state-of-the-art manufacturing plant. I've included a couple of photos from that tour below.

Our genuine Air Lockers have had serial numbers imprinted on them for decades in order for us to easily track and identify the different models. We are aware of many counterfeit products being manufactured overseas that don't carry these identifying features and unfortunately, in our experience, these counterfeits use poor quality seals and inaccurate parts, which can lead to some of the issues you've described. The seals in our genuine Air Lockers, when correctly installed, should last the life of the vehicle.

Lastly, there seems to be some misunderstanding about Air Locker design and function, given there are some inaccuracies in your post. If anyone has any technical questions regarding Air Lockers or any of our other products, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to forward them on to our engineering team for a response. Alternatively, there is a direct message feature on our Facebook page and a contact form on our website if you need to get in touch.

Kind regards, Sam (Head Office Marketing).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  3. chris_stoffa

chris_stoffa 4x4 Earth Contributer

Sam, Was wondering how long it would take :D

Have to also ask the question, why has it taken this long

This is not a problem that has just popped up has it ;)

Cheers

4. ARB4x4

ARB4x4 New Member

Hi Chris, part of my role here in marketing is to look after our social media activities, including getting involved in some of the 4x4 forums. Hopefully our participation will enable us to provide accurate info about our products, help out with any specific concerns and gather feedback from members in order to improve and products and services.

I've been kicking around here for a while but obviously Mattyboii has had a particularly bad experience which I thought warranted a reply.

As I've mentioned, I'm more than happy to help out where I can, whether it be providing information or assisting with concerns so feel free to PM me.

All the best guys.

Cheers, Sam.

5. 4X4

4X4 Moderator

Warning!

I'm happy to leave this thread open whilst everyone displays respect for each other and their opinions.
    If this turns into a shit fight, I will remove offending posts and possibly close the thread.

Cheers

6. mitschal02

mitschal02 5th Annual Victorian Gathering member

Well thumbs up Sam and ARB for joining our little forum, Welcome aboard :D
    Have a feeling your going to be receiving quite a few P.M.'s lol

7. Big Rig

Big Rig 4x4 Earth Contributer

I think that was a great reply from ARB. Its good to see some feedback. This may just open up a so called arb ombudsman. Good job Sam.

8. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

It is good to hear some feed back from one of Australia's major 4wd accesseries supplier.
    I have to admit I was kinda pissed off when I heard the arb locker was being made in china and thought typical,another australian company sending there products off shore to be manufactured to an inferiour quality compared to in Australia.
    But am plesently suprised to hear it's still made in OZ,as it should be.
    Hopefully there costomer services improves to what it once was to ensure costomer satisfaction is paramount and the clientel they've lost due to rude or uninterested sales staff returns to support this great Australian company.

cheers,
    Brian.

9. 4X4

4X4 Moderator

Guys,

Please keep this thread on topic. If you have a concern about a particular vendor then start a thread on it in the appropriate section. This thread is about ARB Air operated differentials.

Several posts have been moved to this thread on topic.

Cheers
    Rossco

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  10. chris_stoffa

chris_stoffa 4x4 Earth Contributer

Sam, its great that you have replied and great to have a conduit to ARB.

What I was referring to and which is quite common to a number of 4WD forums is the perception of customer service issues across a number of ARB outlets Australia Wide

I feel it would be worth ARB's while to keep an eye open across a number of these forums, whether that be directly by an employee such as yourself or via a Media collection agent.

The damage that can , and probably has been, done to customers perception of ARB's service must surely warrant suppliers like ARB and other major players in the 4WD industry becoming more directly involved in social media to either directly respond to issues or to clarify misunderstandings.

cheers

11. Zakk

Zakk New Member

This is where the internet's ugly head pops up every now and then. Forums can make or break a reputation very quickly. Anybody out there can create a post about anything, be it good or bad. So somebody has a bad experience with a product, customer service or both, and instantly jumps onto the forums to share their story and vent their anger, and to try and prevent everyone else having the same experience. Negative feedback travels quicker and wider than positive. Just like forum threads, there is probably 9 unhappy people posting to every positive one. So in a nutshell you're more likely to hear bad news about something, than good news. It's the nature of humanity.

In this case, imagine if every single person who are happy with ARB and specifically their air-lockers, posted a thread about how good they are? These forums would be absolutely flooded. And it would be a needle in a hay stack mission, to find a bad post amongst all the positive feedback.

ARB lockers are bees knees of lockers and always have been. The word locker itself is instantly assumed as an ARB locker. And made in china? Seriously . Amongst other things in his post he clearly should have done a more thorough research before this flaming attempt at ARB. Just because your lockers are broken for whatever reason, doesn't mean 1000s of other are in the same basket. Drop in the ocean.

Peace.

12. Croozer

Croozer Well-Known Member

Agree Zakk, it was great for Sam from ARB to jump on with a few words. I have talked to a lot 4x4 companys about advertising on our forum and most of the time I get a flat out no! Its about time some company's move with the times and start seeing that they are an advantage to have a say on forums these days.

13. ARB4x4

ARB4x4 New Member

G'day Chris, appreciate your feedback. Our forum activity is certainly something we're increasing and is a big part of my new role. Some of you may have seen us (me) popping up on some of the other popular forums as well.

We see it as a bit of a win-win as we can gain great feedback from customers and also clarify any inaccuracies whilst at the same time providing a great source of accurate information for members.

Apologies for getting a bit off topic.

Cheers, Sam.

14. devo73

devo73 Banned

Correct 1 bad forum post can severly harm the rep of any store so a balancer.

When i bought my 80 the exhalation port on the solenoid was leaking diff oil because of a blown seal but was unknown to me. Once discovered i rang ARB Penrith (job was done there only 7000km but 14 months earlier.)

Their reaction...shit mate thats no good at all, its out of warranty and you aren't the original customer but bring it in and we will fix it out of good will. Free. No haggling, no grief, too easy!!

However as Sam said "correctly installed the seals should last the life of the vehicle" so obviously they were not correctly installed by the experts? BUT, everyone makes mistakes it is how they deal with them misatkes that counts and i couldnt have been happier with the service from all employees i dealt with there, Nick Mannell included. I even recommend mates go there rather than the store 10 minutes away (penrith is an hour and a half). This was 1 year ago so maybe things have changed?

Take people as you find them yourself i reckon, give em a go Clough and see what you think. The lockers themselves are IMO gold, no troubles since the seal was fixed.

paulgi likes this.
  15. bugsy

bugsy Well-Known Member

Well said devo couldn't agree more.I have had nothing but postive experiences at the one 10 mins from you .Getting back to topic have both front and rear air lockers best investment I ever made no issues what so ever with them.Not mechanicaly minded my self but family/freinds who are in the trade say it mostly comes down to the correct fitting of the lockers done correctly they should be fine but as with everything there is always the odd faulty ones that unfortunately make it into the stores and hopefully the companies involved will look after you. Cheers

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  16. Batts88

Batts88 Active Member

Hi about the diff locks why bo some people break crown wheels cv joints etc is it they are miss using the product my nephew put stronger axels and crown wheels in his disco when he had arb install air lockers was it necessary to do that or is he being over cautious.? I have a gq patrol if I put an air locker in the front would I need any other upgrades thanks...............ps did Mattyboli appoligise to ARB about accusing them of making products overseas on the cheap ?

17. Guido_s

Guido_s New Member

Hi guys,

Whilst at times, we may all experience what we perceive as poor service or a product that doesn't quite meet our expectations - it's probably worth taking a step back before slinging off at them on a forum like this 1.

I don't know about you, but I'll admit in the past I've 'arked up' having been cheesed off over something I thought I had been poorly treated over - only to find out that I didn't all the right information. And do you think I didn't felt like a total tool afterwards when I went back eating humble pie.

The problem is in the scenario above - I can man up, apologise and endeavour to make amends for my wrong doing - a generally there's been no damaged done and the only 1's who know about my foolishness are me and the other fellow.

But - ark up and slag off at a business - on a forum like this - when your facts are a bit rubbery - or you haven't taken the courtesty of speaking to the business owner / manager - the damage can be significant. To me all your really doing is telling the world that you're probably an inconsiderate k**b.

Take the scenario about this thread - originally some might have been feeling pretty cheesed off about ARB - but I suspect now the waters are a bit clearer.

Cheers
    Guido

18. croozza

croozza Active Member

You do not need to do anything to your diffs when you install diff locks, the Rovers are renouned for having weak axels, however if you drive sensibly, (and that is the big word), you will not break anything.

19. Batts88

Batts88 Active Member

Croozza thanks for clearing that up I also got one of my old 4WD action mags out No-148 locker comparo and read it today and an arb or eaton locker would suit me best. Use it don't abuse it .

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  20. ashtown01

ashtown01 Member

Hey guido

I postsed that i was not impressed by arbs over all service etc and considered shopping elsewhere especially when alot of people had a similar experience, it is dissapointing when youve spent all your hard earned cash. Just wondering am i an inconsdierate *****? i understand what you are saying, i,d say its good for any company to recieve feed back good or bad.

Thought i'd just put my thoughts out there,

cheers