Change background image

Why would anyone want to fit an ARB air locker?

Discussion in 'Differentials' started by mattyboii, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

The truetrac is an auto and mechanical locker. The Eaton ELocker is an electromagnetic one

Aaron

abw and Swaggie like this.
  2. 4runnerSteve

4runnerSteve Well-Known Member

Isn't the trutrac a high end LSD that uses worm gears instead of spider gears? Or do they make it with an auto locker in as well

komaterpillar likes this.
  3. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Looks like you are right - I guess its really an LSD then, and not a locker!

Aaron

muc the truck likes this.
  4. Dizzle

Dizzle New Member

Ok. Just spoke to our diesel fitter to confirm. The things I'm talking about are in the rear diff on both our 2wd and 4wd Isuzu trucks (MR, about 10 to 14 ton)
    And they are auto-lockers. They are manual and he said they are like an lsd but with plates that fully lock together. They work so well you hardly nerd 4wd. The 2wd truck with it was amazingly capable (for an 11ton truck).

Aaron Schubert likes this.
  5. oyamum

oyamum Active Member

Thought I'd weigh in and have my say.

About 5 years ago I used to own a 84 swb pajero with an arb rear air locker. I gave that thing hell and never once did it let me down. It worked great and I would have no problem ever fitting another.

However as much as I loved the arb product the customer service really left a terrible taste in my mouth. About 2 years ago I purchased a new mn triton and being that the arb store was next door to mitsubishi they recommend them for parts. In fact everything I had fitted was fitted before I picked up the car. I had an arb deluxe winch bar and Safari snorkel supplied and fitted by them, I owned a brand new tigerz11 winch (still in the box) and asked if they could fit it. The dealer said they would no worries for a couple hundred $$$. I paid the money but upon pick up was told they wouldn't wire it up as they didn't supply it and didn't wanna be responsible for it, and of coarse no refund was offered after all they only bolted 4 bolts onto a bullbar. So after taking delivery of the car i got her home and popped the bonnet only to find they had left a 6" metal ruler on top of the battery and was literally 1 or 2 bumps away from touching the terminals, I then thought I should inspect there other workmanship and found a rough as guts hole cut in my inner guard for the snorkel and best of all the hose clamps on the snorkel to air box were loose.I decided a few weeks later I'll wire up the winch myself (I am actually a trade qualified mechanic but have been out of the industry for about 12 years) once I got underneath I noticed that 2 of the bolts holding the winch on we're left loose also and there were 2 bolts missing from the metal splash tray underneath. When I rang the store (arb hoppers crossing in vic) I was spoken too like I was a moron and he was extremely rude. I mentioned maybe they reimburse some money considering the Job was not done properly and I was pretty much laughed at and they said bring it in we will check over it. My response was you couldn't be trusted to perform the work properly when I paid you as if it will be any better when I'm not paying. I went over it all and tightened/checked everything myself.

Sorry for the long post but even 2 odd years later this still pisses me off as I really don't like wasting money on shotty work

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  6. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Yep I've mentioned there bad workmanship in the winch warranty thread. Its nothing short of pathetic. They'll never get to Butcher my vehicle again, they did you a favor by not wiring the winch, trust me...

ian.c, oyamum and underdog like this.
  7. itlldoo

itlldoo Well-Known Member

give me a backyard mechanic that enjoys what he does over anyone in a hot stinking factory working under pressure from the clock, the boss, the customer, and the tax man !! PAID FOR OR NOT DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING !!!!!! only way to be sure ! most products are pretty good, often its the installation that lets things down but you should check things BEFORE you leave the workshop, cause once you leave.................. sorry mate !! that could of happened after you left and we have your money SO !!!

ian.c, Chicken Walk and oyamum like this.
  8. Keith Buxton

Keith Buxton New Member

I think a lot depends on the ARB store we had one that was a franchise andhas now gone back to being a company store suddenly it's getting business again the bloke who managed the franchise was an absolute wanka. Turned you off soon as he opened his mouth as for their product I can't make comment yet I have fitted one of their products on rear diff, Pajero and I believe with center lock already there by default I have a very capable rig. And having compressor on board is a bonus.

9. muc the truck

muc the truck Well-Known Member

that's right a true trac is not a locker and once you get a wheel in the air its a single spiner doing nothing . They are best suited to coil spring vehicles with travel like a disco

10. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Travel like a disco :rolleyes:

11. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

yeh you know on the back of a tray trucko_O:rolleyes::p
    I have true tracs front and rear and they are awesome, Muc is correct in saying they work like a single spinner if a wheel is lifted but slight brake pressure fixes that, the old left foot braking is something every 4wder should have mastered
    The only issue I have had was putting in oil that was too thick 80/140 to try and get rid of backlash, which it did very well but it also reduced the effectiveness of the Truetrac for some reason, they just didn't lock up nearly as much:confused:

Towie and tankbloke like this.
  12. muc the truck

muc the truck Well-Known Member

If your suffering backlash problems in a disco its always drive flange wear and shim stackk clearance at drive flange first ,then tcase external bearing wear. the great part is you can change the offending bearing without splitting or removing the tcase.
    true trac never locks up . they constantly divide power according to which wheel needs to spin faster to match its travel path. the only time its 50/50 drive is when your driving absolutely dead straight with no traction loss

13. ReefMaster

ReefMaster New Member

Well , I am a big fan of AirLockers from ARB - I have had them installed front and rear on the Pajero and they have not let me down .

They install thousands of these things and like anything that is sold out there - there will be a time that they will break down like everything else .
    Go out there and support Australian retailers and manufacturers .

richardlnsw and Mr Rum like this.
  14. cokeaddict

cokeaddict Active Member

I'm with the master up there ^^^^
    best investment I added to my GQ.

15. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

Hi mate
    Who fitted your lockers

16. cokeaddict

cokeaddict Active Member

Hey mate..... HAD THEM DONE AT HEAD OFFICE IN SYDNEY (MOOREBANK). Got front one done in 2002 and rear one in 2010

Swaggie likes this.
  17. Barnum Smith

Barnum Smith New Member

Ive had front and rear air lockers on my 2003 patrol for 5 years and have had absolutely no issues whatsoever.

richardlnsw likes this.
  18. Carlosamo

Carlosamo New Member

Really Glad I found this article googling arb air locker review, wont be fitting these lockers in my new 200 series LC or my dmax, I will look at the elocker and the Detroit Truetrac that was mentioned, thanks for saving me some grief with seals and crappy service.

19. jacnden

jacnden Well-Known Member

bit of confusing talk here about eaton lockers
    eaton make the trutrac, a geared lsd which works really well but is not a true locker. i have that type in the front .
    they make the detroit locker , which is an auto locker, another that works great . i have that in the rear
    they also make the eaton elocker which which is an electricaly operated locker
    all the talk of harrop lockers? these are just eatons that they import
    its interesting about the isuzu trucks that someone wrote about that have some type of auto locker fitted, i would like to know how they work. i did know an old truck mechanic that told me these were common ? in the old days

20. itlldoo

itlldoo Well-Known Member

the common theme seem to be all products across the board work bloody well !
    but the fitment ,installation and service is luck of the draw, any drama I have had has been human error and that has cause mechanical failure ( my e locker & axel dramas is still unknown, have been told I need billet axel's) which mean's its ME being the human error with my problem, but we will see !

underdog likes this.