Change background image

Why are National Parks `National Parks'?

Discussion in 'Camping Areas' started by lostboys, May 23, 2017.

1. ULost2

ULost2 Well-Known Member

"national park" is really just a name, and started in use years ago.
    However "national parks'' are owned by the people of the nation/aust, but broadly governed by the states. Federal government can over ride the state's national park decisions if need be. Just another reason why I would love to see the end of state parliaments and even state boundaries for a reason to change the rules and laws. Same goes for the federal senate where a few have far too much power IMO. And it's time for a 'one for all' National flag too!

I have noticed National parks are often places where normal farming is not viable

Paddler Ed likes this.
  2. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

There are times I like bicameral, and times I dont, but never has any situation lasted so long that I would prefer whatever government was in, was in a position to do whatever it liked. I prefer they must get some degree of agreement from opposing members.

Checks and balances are often underappreciated and scapegoated.

dno67 likes this.
  3. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

For such a small population in such a large country,
    I believe where over regulated and over governed.
    As far as some country's governing clothing, we have that here to a degree. EG: Hi-vis.
    If think the point is it's getting worse, not better.

4. DaveTrees

DaveTrees Member

Actually they can't.

5. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

People crack me up, show me a time in history where you were more free? Back when you would be a serf to the king and his nobles? Maybe when we lived in caves, and had bugger all that needed regulating, and no time to enjoy it. Maybe back in the gold rush? Or when the country was settled? Yeah, nah you wouldnt have been. To think otherwise is a romantic view of ye olde timef.

There has never been a better time to be alive. Unless you have family history that takes you directly back to a title, you are far more free than any of your ancestors were. Not to mention in a much better position of free time to waste on whatever pursuit takes your fancy.

DaveTrees likes this.
  6. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Have to disagree with you there, you only have to go back to what you could do as a kid to what a kid can do now to see the over regulation and cotton wooling going on.
    Spend a bit of time in NT or the outback that have not felt the brunt of the over regulation we have now to see it in real time

barcher, abw and tankbloke like this.
  7. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

Cotton wooling (is that a word? It is now, cheers) is not the same thing. Superman seat grabs, back flips in monster trucks obviously not every parent dragged out the cotton wool.

My point was the average peasant has never had more money, and more time to use it, and the tech to be able to. There might be some trade offs, but I would not want to live in any other period past. Visit, sure. but not live.

loose cannon likes this.
  8. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Just out of interest how old are you Garry ?

smitty_r51 likes this.
  9. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Ha, Monster truck back flips, there was a time you could build one in your back shed
    and run wild on your own land and probably gather a great crowd of happy onlookers.
    Try it now and see how long before you get sh!t canned.
    With out a doubt I think most people recon the time they grew up was the best, but
    I'd happily wind the clock back to born twenty odd years earlier to a time when there
    was a lot less population and a heap less regulation. When you get to around the of 45-50
    and see your kids and your grand kids and what they see as fun and freedom compared
    the liberties we were afforded you may think or view it differently.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  10. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

What do you mean when? And that answers both your posts...

Why cant you build a monster truck on your land and drive it? Noise was always an issue if someone complained. Maybe more people complain, but that aint new regs.

11. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Your happy and old. lol And I'm happy for you.

12. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

Kids born now will probably be the first if they have the money to live several centuries, if not longer. Their grandkids if not kids, will have a centuries long prime of life.

The best is yet to come. I stand by it, today is the best time to be alive, as it was 50 years ago (at that time), and the best is yet to come.

13. oldlux

oldlux Well-Known Member

But you aren't allowed to let crackers off anymore:(

14. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Or run around with guns.

15. GaryM

GaryM Well-Known Member

or scissors

16. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Not to mention there's too many different speed limits now. Used to spend all day trying to do
    125MPH, now spend all day doing 25MPH :(

17. shaun0

shaun0 Member

What got me the other day camped as we were on the snowy river signs up saying no dogs. And yet they allow a woping great horse trailer and horses to roam around munching the grass down to the dirt and yet they wont allow me to have my mate Bill the staffy to stay in the camp. Well you know what Get F***ked. Its bloody insane and the whole parks around Kosci and Namadgi are full of 1080 poison baits its a disgrace when you see what these baits do to animals.

18. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

You now have to wear a life jacket when in a boat or on a kayak :mad:

oldlux likes this.
  19. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

Ah the freedom of the fifties and sixties.
    Rode motorbikes at thirteen and fourteen through town , without licences, helmets, or anything else and the coppers knew.
    Drove cars at thirteen and fourteen without licences and the coppers knew.
    Went shooting with a shotgun at eleven and no problems.
    Went camping with my parents in the Grampians over Easter in the fifties,and saw virtually no one else. Made camp, had fires, shot guns, ran dogs, rode off road bikes, no licences, no permits, etc.
    Got a licence in 1962 and there was no speed limit. Used to drive at 180 k.p.h. and coppers would wave when passing us.
    As kids ,no TV, No mobile phones, no drugs, no alcohol , go ferreting, tad poling, swapping comics , possum shooting,, etc.NO STRESS.
    Went traveling on my own interstate, overnite on buses, trains from Portland to Adelaide when fourteen.
    Started full time work when I turned fifteen.
    Went out all day over weekends with mates and never got assaulted, attacked, whatever.
    Ah. the good old days.
    And guess what for you younguns, I lived then and I live now so I can make a comparison. You younguns only lived now, so you really cannot speak from personal experience. Don't get me started on Guy fawkes night, fishing licences, and all this crap now. And please all you P.C. people don't start with , you are safer now. Bull, I and my kids and now ten grandkids are all still here. It's called, using common sense.
    Me and my brothers in the late fifties, no licences, no helmets, no nothing, living in town and riding everywhere.
    f (4).jpg
    Then in the seventies took my kids camping, riding bikes, shooting and they had no licences, helmets, anything.
    Boho 8 Jan 1987.jpg.jpg

Boho Jan 1987 .jpg.jpg

abw, tankbloke and Blue_haired_man like this.
  20. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Bloody hell, sounds like the the fun police spotted your life and put a blanket ban on all
    activities you enjoyed to save the rest of us from ourselves. Your actually the problem Roger. :D
    Jeez I miss those trips to the tip. When you could fosick around and ended taking more rubbish home than you dumped. Old fashion recycling.