Change background image

Whats Your Bush Mechanics Fix?

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Neat 60, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Neat 60

Neat 60 Active Member

Airing up on the Thompson Dam wall yesterday I noticed 4 broken studs on the left rear axle. Made it as far as the Labertouche servo on the Princess Hwy then this happened
    IMG_3363.JPG

With no studs left to hold the axle on or keep the oil in the diff it was time to get creative.
    IMG_3365.JPG

IMG_3366.JPG
    Fortunately Red has front and rear air lockers so we plugged the hole with a shovel handle that was virtually made for it and drove the remaining 100kms home with the rear locker on.

What's your bush mechanics fix?

underdog, Swaggie, Spooner and 12 others like this.
  2. nitrobrent

nitrobrent Active Member

Screenshot_2015-12-29-20-33-07.png 18920315_845447752270580_6761775998494035328_n.jpg 18836876_845447288937293_9206996880110394982_o.jpg Had a slight rubbing of back tyre on chsssis LOL

tankbloke, underdog, Grippy and 3 others like this.
  3. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

Questions.
    I assume your chainsaw is for wood, so how did the chain go getting through the axle?
    2.Was remaining axle left in before plugging, please explain a little more?
    3. Rear locker on , so are you in 4H , 4L, or 2H???

Neat 60 likes this.
  4. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

I initially thought the same as you, but it appears he's put the shovel handle in and chopped that with the chainsaw

Aaron

Neat 60, Swaggie and rogerazz like this.
  5. ROXY

ROXY Active Member

It's a Stihl chainsaw. No worries cutting axles.

Roachie, cam04 and phs like this.
  6. Neat 60

Neat 60 Active Member

rogerazz likes this.
  7. cam04

cam04 Active Member

I've got a Husky K970 demo saw with a rescue (4x4) blade on it at work - I think I'll have to now start carrying it on weekends to
    1. install axles
    and
    2. win pi$$ing comps about saws o_O

Might have to throw in a thermic lance too haha.

oldlux likes this.
  8. cam04

cam04 Active Member

First class dodgy fix too by the way to the OP - Bravo.

Neat 60 likes this.
  9. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

I got a 50mm crack in my petrol tank once in the Sturt Stony Desert area, leaking petrol all over the place so quickly made up a paste from soap and fine desert sand and bung it into the crack. Stopped the leak and I made it back to Melbourne before having the repair job done professionally. Happened about 30 years ago when there weren't many travellers about. Would have been in the poo if we couldn't stop that leak

Col.

10. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

My young bloke got a hole in his fuel tank up Cape York and plugged the hole with a wedge he cut out of his rubber thong

11. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Back in about 2010 a travelling partner did a rear crown wheel and pinion in his rear diff in the Simpson Desert. Rang Mount Dare for assistance but he was two days away from helping us so we thought we would have a crack at getting going and drive ourselves out
    We managed to strip it down and reassemble it without the crown wheel. We had to salvage the diff oil and filtered all the metal fragments through a pair of underpants before reuse o_O took us about 6 hrs to get it done.
    Put it in 4WD and drove it as a front wheel drive, We hooked him up to my ute with a snatch strap and we drove in sync via radio constant communication and would speed up to hit a dune and I would be able to crest the dune in time to give give snatch assistance to get him up over the dune as well
    It was an epic event but we got out unassisted :)

IMG_0557.PNG

IMG_0558.PNG

IMG_0559.PNG

boobook, Spooner, Neat 60 and 5 others like this.
  12. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

I see a common theme here, Toyota diffs...
    I once had to remove diff centre and what was left of the rear tail shaft and drive out from half way between Dargo and Walhalla with drive to front only and a single spinner diff with the car crab walking due to the rear diff being bent like a banana and to add to the fun the fuel tank had been half crushed, a transmission mount broken and a bent drag linko_O:(

komaterpillar, Grippy and Neat 60 like this.
  13. Marck

Marck Active Member

Did you need to push the roof back into place after the rollover ?

14. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

I didn't roll it but it was as close as I ever want to come and it gave me a whole new insight and respect for very steep hills. I ended up going backward down the hill with no engine or brakes, off the side of the track and over a tree stump that removed half the underside of the car. Poor old thing has never been quite the same since :(

15. typhoeus

typhoeus Well-Known Member

16. typhoeus

typhoeus Well-Known Member

You would have been slippin' and slidin' around in the seat for a week after that little escapade!
    no rusty nuts either,

Loz666 and Albynsw like this.
  17. cam04

cam04 Active Member

Toyota diffs again. 2006 up the cape. Pulled the front driveshaft off a prado, locked the centre diff and he drove it back to Brisbane.

Grippy likes this.
  18. nitrobrent

nitrobrent Active Member

Yeah did that.
    Now have adj uppers and GU uppers as lowers.Stock rubbers just weren't lasting long .

19. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

If you ever blow a hole in your exhaust or muffler , chewing gum and a few cut up beer cans and tie wire work well :)

Albynsw likes this.
  20. Twinklz

Twinklz Member

Forgot to put the beer in the esky before we left, so we drank rum, does that count as a bush fix?

boobook and oldlux like this.