Change background image

What steering damper

Discussion in 'GU Patrol' started by mills63, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Batts88

Batts88 Well-Known Member

Mine got worse when driving around big sweeping bends, if I hit pot holes or rough patches in the road. When I checked the king pin bearings 6 months before it got the wobbles I regreased 3 of them and replaced one I thought after woods I should have just replaced all 4 and I probably could have left the shims in there when the wobble started. Some people on the Nissan patrol sites have spent a lot of money chasing this problem replacing parts and do the king pin bearing last which usually fixes the problem most of the time.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  2. slack9

slack9 Member

Howdy all
    Can i ask if anybody has had a problem with their rtc steering damper. I fitted one 2yrs ago went through the Simpson and the damper lost the fluid, i fitted a replacement and went up the Cape and had to remove it and fit a normal one,i have traveled 4000km on the normal one with no problems. Just removed the spring and it is no good. I like the idea of the steering returning to the center, but do not wish to fit another as when it is faulty it causes the car to shake violently.

3. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

A faulty damper will not cause a shake, that is caused by bad steering geometry and or worn parts/bushes. A steering damper masks any issues and a return to centre has no advantage unless you are running massive tyre and big lift without doing the other required mods to caster etc.
    In a well set up car with everything in good condition all a damper does is stop bump steer as you hit pot holes and uneven road surfaces

phs likes this.
  4. muc the truck

muc the truck Well-Known Member

It might be worth running your rig off the ground in 4x4 to see if you can tell if one tyre has bulged out of round ,some times its really hard to tell until its doing a few kms per hour . This occurred on my Hercules tera trac tyres , 2 of them . The other thing is that's doesn't seem to be mentioned is when was the last time all your wheel bearings were replaced. Shocking looking disc rotors are always a good sign the bearings are screwed up or at least were at one stage. With new wheel bearings new pads and rotors should be fitted , machined rotors is also fine but most will not be able to be machined in speck on 4x4 as they are harder on rotors . miss adjusted and worn wheel bearings destroy rotors as the break effort lifts the car up when slowing down and that causes the rotors to wear out of square. To explain what I mean , worn bearings will give your wheels negative caster then when you brake heavily the applied pressure straightens the rotor up . This can cause unstable brake applications with constant minor steering wheel adjustments to stop fast from speed instead of simply holding the wheel in one position .
    Anything worn in the rear suspension can also cause huge corrections at the steering when the rear diff is moving sideways back and forth .

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  5. slack9

slack9 Member

Thank you for the reply, i had no trouble on my 4000km trip home after replacing the steering damper. Since i have been home all bearings have been checked and repacked, rotors and brakes replaced, bushes on rear springs, rear swaybar, front swaybar all replaced also new shockers all round( one was a bit slow).new tyres and wheel alignment( nothing out with alignment) ready for next trip. i took the rtc steering damper spring off, when the damper is compressed it does not come back, i do not have wide tyres and no lift kit, but i did like when you let go of the steering wheel it returned to center, but it's not the end of the world if i do not have it.
    Thanks again for the reply.

6. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

Check the panhard rod bushes

abw likes this.