Change background image

What do you think?

Discussion in 'My 4WD' started by Zamunda, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Zamunda

Zamunda Member

Being relatively new to Aus, I was itching to get back into touring again (did a lot of it back in Africa). Wanted to start seeing this wonderful country, our new home. But, my biggest constraint was my budget. It was worse than a shoestring.

Having owned several Toyota 4x4s in the past, ideally I wanted a diesel 80 Series. So after months of on-line researching I came across the 80 I eventually bought. It was very well looked after, 290kms on the clock and heaps of accessories. Most of these fitted in the last three to four years (as per the receipts). The list is:

-bull bar with winch.
    -2" Dobinson suspension lift kit (with 4" travel I was told).
    -33" All terrian off road tyres. About 50% tread left. (I kept these as spare and fitted more off road biased MTs.)
    -Rear air bags.
    -Roof rack.
    -Canvas seat covers.
    -Snorkle.
    -Dual battery system with Redarc battery manager. Deep cycle second battery.
    -Waeco 11l console fridge installed between the two front seats.
    -85l food grade water bladder.
    -Rear storage drawer system with the wings and fridge slide.
    -LED light bar.
    -iCom UHF radio.
    -Diff breathers.

The previous owner was a farmer with his own workshop and being a mechanic, all maintenance was done by him as he does with all his other vehicles and farming machinary. Must say, I was quite impressed with his workshop. His reason for selling was the purchase of a brand new 79 dual cab and a Hilux.

The 80 had not done much serious off roading. It had mostly been used to tow his boat.

The asking price was 8k. Which was well within my meager buget. The only down side was, it was a petrol and not a diesel. Despite this (and friends' advice against buying a petrol), my wife and I decided to go for it. Our thought process was, this was going to be purely for touring and would stay parked at other times as we have a daily runner. we figured the saving we had from paying for similar condition (and equally equipped) diesel 80, we could use this money to pay for the petrol bills during our trips. Which in kilometer terms worked out to be a considerable amount before the savings were used up.

The left over funds from my budget I used to bolt on a few more accessories. Mostly DIY work.

I still get people telling me that it was a big mistake to buy a petrol. However, I am quite convinced my rational was correct. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    oldlux likes this.
  2. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Iv owned a 96 petrol 80 now for nearly 14 yrs and have to say its been the most reliable truck iv had to date. Sure they are fairly thirsty beasts but if driven sensibly you can still get 18-20 lp 100km no worries.

A good mod to do is to replace the rear 45 ltr sub tank with the 90ltr out of a prado .This will increase your touring range to around 900km's which isnt bad for a big thirsty petrol 4wd. Also carrying a couple of spare jerry's as back up is always advisable if going remote in a petrol 4b so account for that when loading up for trips.

One benifit of petrol 4wd's are reduced service costs which is also a decent saving in itself over 12 mths, add that up over 5yrs and thats a considerable amount of $ for fuel aswell.

Iv put mine thru bonnet deep water crossings in the high country and it never missed a beat, only had a snorkel and a bit of grease around the dizzy and no issues.

Dont be to turned off by the petrol haters. Just realize they do chew the juice if driven in anger but overall not to bad.

3. Zamunda

Zamunda Member

Thanks for that @80lover96gxl Can the Prado tank be fitted without taking up the underside factory spare wheel space?

Since most of the trips it will be me and the wife, I try to be self sufficient as possible. So I like to carry two spare wheels. Within in my budget constraints I could only afford the single spare wheel swing arm at the back. A complete rear bar with twin swing arms is out of my reach at this point. So the second wheel goes underneath.
    [​IMG]

4. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Gees that highlift must seriously compromise your rear departure angle? Or is it just the camera angle?
    Tink

5. Zamunda

Zamunda Member

that's camera angle. The jack base is at a higher level than the rear tow point. Ideally I should have the jack on the roof rack side. I have the brackets. But due to a old wrist injury that keeps coming back, mounting at the back is a lot easier for me.

6. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Ah, OK, thought it may be the angle. Know all about wrists, currently recovering from my 3rd operation. This one had better bloodywell fix it!
    Tink

Zamunda likes this.
  7. Zamunda

Zamunda Member

I hate it too mate. Doc tells me I don't need suregery at this point, rather put less stress and manage it. Easier said than done though :)

8. 2002GU3

2002GU3 Active Member

G'day mate, I wouldn't be to worried about what others think of YOUR rig, at the end of the day it's YOUR rig, and as long as YOUR happy with it that's all that matters. The only thing that is an absolute necessity for exploring Australia, is a sense of adventure !

80lover96gxl and Zamunda like this.