VW catches fire - is there a fault with the Amarok

Patriot

Administrator
** Update** I've just spoken to Volkswagen and it was an after market Eelctronic Brake Controller. No information on what make or where it was fitted, but highlights the importance of getting new gear fitted by a professional. Good news that the Amaroks are safe.

I've just spoken to Robert, whose son was driving his 20 month old VW Amarok in early March.
He was taking the kids to school and noticed smoke coming out from under the bonnet. He pulled over onto the side of the road and got out of the car. Within 5 seconds there were flames coming in through the drivers side firewall. Scott's elder children got out of the car, but he had to get his youngest one out of the car seat.

vw fire.jpg
vw fire2.jpg
vw fire 3.jpg
vw fire 4.jpg

The Amarok is around 20 months old, and he called VW Ballarat and was basically asked "What do you want us to do about it?". He was then told to bring the vehicle in for them to look at it. He has since had the vehicle taken to VW Ballarat and called up to see how the investigation was going, only to be told that the vehicle was missing. Insurance handled the issue and Scott is now the owner of a new Ford Ranger.
On Facebook it looks like there may be an issue with the Amaroks, with other people reporting fires. Have you heard any more?
I've just contacted Ballarat VW and the person there said that he didn't know anything about it, and to call back tomorrow to speak to the manager.
A scary story and I am glad they were all OK.

Last edited:

IvanTheTerrible

The vehicle went missing? Insurance covered it even though the vehicle was missing? The more I hear about this story the weirder it gets. We had a customer two years ago that had his VW burst into flames in a paddock. Rang Ballarat up and they sent a tow truck up, repaired the ute and returned it to the owner.

Bomber2012

I had the same thing happen to me quiet a few years ago with a Ford Courier .
IMG_0113.JPG

mine started behind the dash and by the time i pulled over the black smoke in the cabin was already thick (would not have wanted to have kids in the back in baby seats)

Patriot

Administrator
Sorry, I was a little unclear. Insurance handled the matter - vehicle went to VW for investigation.

I will call VW again tomorrow and also try to talk to the owner. Poeple are talking about mods to the vehicle, but there isn't any evidence of it.

Don't know of any fault with Roks causing fire. Also never discount rodents nibbling on wiring. I have seen this with quite a few other vehicles.

Patriot

Administrator
I've just spoken to the dealer and they are going to try and get a contact at VW to talk to so we can get more information.

Patriot

Administrator
Just spoke to owner of the car and Volkswagen. They have a report that they are waiting on to find out what caused the fire.
The vehicle had only an electric brake controller only as a mod. The vehicle was 18 months old. Will try and get more details out of VW when they are available.

bauerco

They don't just burst into flames on their own, more than likely due to dicking around with the wiring. The Amarok like most new vehicles needs someone who knows their way around the wiring to work on them.
At the end of the day it's not VWs issue to look at it's an insurance matter, if they find it needs investigation they'll do one & get to the bottom of it. They pass the buck when ever they can.

sharkcaver

They don't just burst into flames on their own, more than likely due to dicking around with the wiring. The Amarok like most new vehicles needs someone who knows their way around the wiring to work on them.
At the end of the day it's not VWs issue to look at it's an insurance matter, if they find it needs investigation they'll do one & get to the bottom of it. They pass the buck when ever they can.
If its not modification related, then it is VW's issue to look at. Insurance or not. Its a safety issue. One look at that charred baby capsule/booster seat speaks volumes. The only mod fitted was a brake controller and the fire started under bonnet. Its highly likely this didn't contribute to the smoke fest. Over to you VW - BTW they failed the emissions test again I see :)

IvanTheTerrible

. The only mod fitted was a brake controller and the fire started under bonnet. Its highly likely this didn't contribute to the smoke fest.
The power for the brake controller comes from the engine bay and I've seen plenty of set-ups with inadequate or no existent circuit protection

sharkcaver

The power for the brake controller comes from the engine bay and I've seen plenty of set-ups with inadequate or no existent circuit protection
The power supply could also be taken from under dash if a suitable source is available. Like I said, that makes a whole one mod to the vehicle. Not to say that wasn't the cause, cause none of us know at this point, but on probabilities, its low in the scheme of things.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
I've just heard from Volkswagen. It was an after market brake controller that had been fitted after purchase that caused the fire, which is good news that there isn't a problem with the vehicles. No information on the make of brake controller or where it was fitted.
Would be good to know what part of the installation was the cause, as mentioned prior, there are many that install with inadequate protection on the cabling either physical or current limiting, I am personally not a big fan of self resetting circuit breakers, but until we know what the actual cause was, I remain glued to the story and the eventual determination. It will be quite an uncomfortable situation for the company / person who installed it if indeed it is an installation issue and not a fault within the unit.

sharkcaver

I've just heard from Volkswagen. It was an after market brake controller that had been fitted after purchase that caused the fire, which is good news that there isn't a problem with the vehicles. No information on the make of brake controller or where it was fitted.
Well there you go, proving I am shite with statistics and probabilities.
It would be great to hear the actualities of this event. For all its worth, it could just be VW's get out of jail free card. It needs to be verifiable to hold any substance, but I wont hold my breath on that.