Change background image

Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tyres' started by Wilba, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

BTW the 4 PSI rule was developed by Cooper tyres and they say it doesn't apply to offroad.

2. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

Their warranty doesn't apply to off road either.:eek:

• Although, Cooper Tires’ Mileage Warranty is available nationally, a Cooper Tires Authorised Retailer has the right to refuse or vary the mileage warranty at their discretion based on the road conditions and geographic influences encountered in their local area or the intended use of the tyres.

3. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

Never had less than 70,000 from a set of Coopers, so I don't really give a toss about the warranty conditions...

Bomber2012 likes this.
  4. digoptions

digoptions New Member

Hey guys, exclusive for you guys is a 10% discount on all TPMS gear at tpmsaustralia.com.au (redirects to DIG Options for now). At checkout please use the following code for 10% off the total. This offer is valid until March 12, 2017.
    4x4earthTPMS

Cheers,
    Matt
    0409 427 461

Chatty likes this.
  5. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

You got a little closer to your wish Chatty, 10% is better than 5% or a poke in the eye mate.

Chatty likes this.
  6. Les PK Ranger

Hi Matt, can I get a few Q's to you, that I think most forum members might have.
    I am looking at a system for 8 wheels, usually 2 spares, plus plans to get a camper in future.

Q1. The only difference between the 4 sensor system TP-19SI selling for $199 . . .
    http://www.digoptions.com.au/tpms-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-caravan-truck~26206
    and the 8 sensor system TP-20-8 selling for $474 . . .
    http://www.digoptions.com.au/8-truck-tpms-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-carav
    is the extra 4 sensors, and the range extender, is that correct ?
    Q2. Would an average camper trailer distance require the range extender, or is that mostly for larger vans / trucks ?
    Q3. What would the average distance be to require the sensor for sure ?

Q4. How much are additional sensors ea for the TP-19SI if people were to go that way and just add another 2, or another 4 to the standard 4 supplied ?

Q5. Is this a good idea to do this to make life easier airing down (often) as many 4WDrs do off road ?
    [​IMG]

Q6. Maybe offset opposite for balance, and for an advantage at that more parallel angle for less issues with corros / vibrating etc ?
    Q7. Any pros and cons with this you can share from others experience ?

Q8. Re alarms on the unit. Is there any minimum psi level that can be set, can you (for example) set at 10psi if you're in the desert or on beaches running 15 all round ?
    Q9. How does the rapid leakage alarm work, and how is it different to the normal alarm ?

Q10. Are batteries included ? :D

Thanks in advance, these are Q's some offline members are asking, so it should help to clarify.

7. stevemc181

stevemc181 Well-Known Member

8. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

I have read elsewhere that it is illegal to fit a second valve stem, don't know if that is actuate or not though.

9. Les PK Ranger

Good to know if true Alby.
    Matt or the tyre place will know for sure, nad I can update unless confirmed prior.

Steve, the T piece might be ok, though the angle out would be the same and still expose the sensor to rock etc damage (as in he diagram on their site), or maybe the sensors can be placed on the 90 degree stem ??

10. stevemc181

stevemc181 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't trust any tyre place to know the legalities of anything, I've had so much erroneous information from various places in the past, I gave up relying on them for anything other than tyre changes and I'm reluctant to do that!

The whole idea of these T-Piece stems is to put the sensor on the 90°section, they won't suit all rims though.

tankbloke and Bomber2012 like this.
  11. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

I think you are complicating what is already a simple procedure .Screwing of a sensor cap is the same as screwing off a dust cap.
    I did several trips to central Australia/ Simpson desert with my external tyre dogs and it was no problem apart from smashing a cap from a flicked yo stone, I have never bothered to use the silly little locking rings either. They are supposed to be an anti theft deterrent only and not necessary to use.

boobook likes this.
  12. Les PK Ranger

I'm thinking I would rather just fit the sensors, lock them on, and leave them alone until the battery runs out.
    The T valve might work, would have to get a sensor and try the fit, BUT I don't want them to protrude past the rim edge, like they would if straight on the regular valve, the sensors seem to costly to lose them to rocks and other such impact.

One thing I must check.
    If you put them on spares, and they go into sleep mode, how are they activated, by slight movement, or do they need to turn / move a fair bit ?
    No good on the spares if they are too restricted that way and don't give a reading.

13. boobook

Les, I have the unit you are asking questions about, I'll wait till Matt answers with the official answer then fill in with some user experiences if it adds value. On you last question above, yes they sleep with no movement ( as does the display). They are reactivated by movement. It seems to work on spares too. They send the pressure / temp info to the display about every 5 -6 minutes, so when you drive off, the display can show blank for 5 mins for each wheel. You get used to it. If they detect a rapid loss however ,they send the info immediately. You can test this by removing them from the valve.

My take on the stem thing is this. I have had TMS external sensors for 8 years now, just screed on like a valve cap. No locketc. I park my car in the street every night and it gets parked in the city etc. I have never had an issue. I think it's like navigators. When they were new and $1200 they were flvor of the month with thieves. A TPMS transmitter is too little value and only works with a particular brand. Just tighten them tight. Metal stems might be a good idea though to stop rubbing which is the biggest issue with external TPMS

As to the t stem, IMHO it is a stick and rock magnet when off road. I think it will cause more problems than it solves.

Albynsw and Les PK Ranger like this.
  14. boobook

Matt,

Further to Les' questions, I have a few questions ( from another thread but I put them here for clarity.)

i am looking at the Video out version TPMS that be displayed on a nav screen. 6 wheels for my camper and vehicle. It looks good and I would prefer not to have a display stuck to the dash.

Can I set the low pressure per wheel or axle, how easy is it to do?
    What is the lowest alarm pressure I can set? Eg Can I set it to alarm at 9 or 10PSI?
    When it gets an alarm, does it beep, and does it make a wire go to 12v so I can use it like a reverse wire? If so what happens to the original reverse wire? does that pass through the box?
    Is the range ok for reliable reception from the trailer wheels?
    How easy is it to change low pressure alarms ( for on road off road situations)
    It there an easy way to add or delete the trailer wheels liek the stand alone unit does.

Thanks in advance.

15. digoptions

digoptions New Member

Q1. The only difference between the 4 sensor system TP-19SI selling for $199 . . .
    http://www.digoptions.com.au/tpms-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-caravan-truck~26206
    and the 8 sensor system TP-20-8 selling for $474 . . .
    http://www.digoptions.com.au/8-truck-tpms-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system-carav
    is the extra 4 sensors, and the range extender, is that correct ?
    REPLY - Yes correct
    Q2. Would an average camper trailer distance require the range extender, or is that mostly for larger vans / trucks ?
    Q3. What would the average distance be to require the sensor for sure ?
    REPLY - Generally if the distance is above 7m it's safe to get the extender.

Q4. How much are additional sensors ea for the TP-19SI if people were to go that way and just add another 2, or another 4 to the standard 4 supplied ?
    REPLY - $45 at the moment.
    http://www.digoptions.com.au/spare-part-tpms-sensor-for-tp-10-tp-09-tyre-pressu

Q5. Is this a good idea to do this to make life easier airing down (often) as many 4WDrs do off road ?
    Q6. Maybe offset opposite for balance, and for an advantage at that more parallel angle for less issues with corros / vibrating etc ?
    Q7. Any pros and cons with this you can share from others experience ?
    REPLY - that's a great idea but a lot of work and i think you might be better going the internal valve option. We can substitute the external sensors for internal if you require. I have actually not seen this before. We would normally recommend the internal option.

Q8. Re alarms on the unit. Is there any minimum psi level that can be set, can you (for example) set at 10psi if you're in the desert or on beaches running 15 all round ?
    REPLY - You can adjust the pressures as you require.

Q9. How does the rapid leakage alarm work, and how is it different to the normal alarm ?
    REPLY - If there is a fast leak but within the pressure alarm range you will be alerted. I hope i understood your question.

Q10. Are batteries included ? :D
    REPLY - Yes

16. digoptions

digoptions New Member

I have copied this from our website. the model that displays onto an existing monitor is more limited than other models.
    Changing the Pressure Alarm Ranges
    Our TP-09 and TP-10 TPMS Systems have an adjustable pressure alarm range however this is set to a minimum of 25PSI. Check with us if this has changed as we are constatly improving our products. The Low Pressure is set to 25PSI and High Pressure set to 45PSI.

To switch off the alarm noise if you are running below this then you can hold the TPMS button to disable the sound.

For changing the alarm ranges please refer to the manual on page 4, 3-4 Parameter settings
    The Alarm needs to be set from the DVD interface of parameter setting.

When the vehicle is in the DVD working mode, Press the SET button for 2 seconds to choose "High pressure pressure alert setting", press SET button for 1 second to enter parameter setting, Press CODE button to save and exit setting mode.

Can I set the low pressure per wheel or axle, how easy is it to do?
    REPLY - It's for the set of tyres.

What is the lowest alarm pressure I can set? Eg Can I set it to alarm at 9 or 10PSI?
    REPLY - 25PSI but it can monitor down to 0. you will need to turn off the alarm though.

When it gets an alarm, does it beep, and does it make a wire go to 12v so I can use it like a reverse wire? If so what happens to the original reverse wire? does that pass through the box?
    REPLY - It will beep and trick the monitor to thinking it's in camera mode but display TPMS and the affected tyre.

Is the range ok for reliable reception from the trailer wheels?
    REPLY - Yes
    How easy is it to change low pressure alarms ( for on road off road situations)
    REPLY - See above
    It there an easy way to add or delete the trailer wheels liek the stand alone unit does.
    REPLY - yes

17. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

What is the difference between the TP20 and TP19? Couldn't work it out from your website as it looks like each page is a cut and paste.
    Thanks
    Tink

18. Wilba

Wilba New Member

boobook, I can tell you a bit more about the TP-13. You can set a pressure for each axle for a "half load" setting and a "full load" setting, and you will get an alarm if the pressure goes 25% below or above that.

For the highway I use the "full load" setting, and set say 38PSI for the front axle and 40PSI for the rear. When I get to a sandy track I use the Stauns to come down to 16PSI all round, and switch to the "half load" setting, which I have set up for 16PSI on both axles.

If I get into some boggy sand and air down to 10PSI, I can quickly adjust the reference pressure for both axles in the half load setting to that figure to avoid getting alarms.

19. digoptions

digoptions New Member

$474 includes range extender. TP20 sensors do not go to sleep and also monitor up to 188psi (tp-19 monitors up to 87psi)

20. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Thanks
    Tink