Change background image

Trip advice up the great divide NSW

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Superdad, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Superdad

Superdad Active Member

Hi all

Hoping to tap some collective wisdom, I have had to go to the dark side and buy a caravan. Wife, 3 kids yadda yadda yadda.... gotta know when to hold and when to fold...

Am thinking of heading up the great dividing range north from Sydney in early January then come down the coast after a week or 2, hopefully after the crowds have thinned out a little. Happy to head north as far as Washpool NP

The van is 17.5ft, 2.7t, off-road (plenty of clearance) model with good LT AT tyres. I have a 100 series V8 landcruiser with a bit of gear. The limitation is the van only has a ball hitch but I figure at 2.7t, if I am getting to the limits of the ball, then I have buggered up somewhere...

So I have 2 questions. First, has anyone ever seen a van this big at Pebbly Beach campground north of Coffs? I have been up there for a look and the hard bit looks to be the exit from the creek into camp - it's pretty steep and no anchor points anywhere...

Secondly, can anyone recommend any quality riverside campsites in Guy Fawkes, Washpool, Oxley Wild river national park areas?

Any knowledge anyone can share would be much appreciated.

2. Superdad

Superdad Active Member

No one got anything they can add to this?

3. 2luxes

2luxes Active Member

All I can suggest is try contacting the tourist info. centres in those areas. I doubt if you will be the first to ask questions like that.

Superdad likes this.
  4. ian.c

ian.c Well-Known Member

Hi mate, spent some time at pebbley beach 2 years ago, there were plenty of (too many for my ideal camp) caravans and campers at the beach that got through the crossing ok. Was super steep but firm, we ended up camping at nearby bush campground sheepstation creek which is a protected shady camp area with toilets,tables,firewood. If I had a van I would park here on arrival then take the 10 minute walk to the beach to check condition of the crossing before airing down for a 1km beach drive to the pebbley beach campsite. We set up camp then took the short drive or walk to the beach at will. remember the creek is tidal and therefore salt water, low tide the water was up to the hubs , a very firm sand and pebble base means no momentum was needed to cross, some nut jobs were videoing their expensive 4bs smashing through all that saltwater :eek: I used first low at idle to cross with no splashing. Rangers are on site during peak times. We had some fun in the adjoining forestry tracks with heaps of ruts , mud holes, washouts and places to add bush pinstriping to pristine unblemished paint, Absolutely fell in love with the place and will return one day. We travelled hundreds of ks on well maintained gravel roads that trip, the road from the highway to the beach through forestry was not one of them so beware . Hope this helps a bit. Ian.c :cool:

Superdad likes this.
  5. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

Lachlan, sorry I can't help too much, coming back down the coast the other week Pebbly Beach was one of the places that seemed just a little too far out off the hwy, and awkward to fit in as a side trip.
    We were on a day day mission to make North Gosford.

Looking at the info and pics online though, it's on the list for a couple of nights next time though !!
    Geez it looks nice, preferably mid week off peak to have a little less of the crowds.

Now, last trip up 3 - 4 weks ago, did a fair bit of tracks in Ewingar SF, just divine tracks in there but totally unsuitable for cara.
    Washpool, didn't quite get down that far south but could see it, part of the same range as Ewingar.
    @mauriceb knows the area well, and is a great bloke, a bit off colour lately so he might not be here quickly to add anything, but he probably will drop by as I tagged him there.

Ian, Sheepstation Ck up in Border Ranges NP ? Or is there another one ?
    Camped in the former on other recent trip up and it was very nice indeed, and maybe within the scope of Lachlans up coming, though a little north of Washpool area.
    You could drive months in that general region exploring park, tracks, and the coastline, very special area to explore.

Superdad and ian.c like this.
  6. ian.c

ian.c Well-Known Member

Superdad likes this.
  7. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

Ah thanks mate, that looks nice too.
    I did a nice day drive through Yuraygir with @peejaycruiser and his dad last year, and we got up on the top of the range, nice drive, then camped at Sandon Point.
    Beaut area, and for sure Yuraygir will be back on the schedule sometime with Pebbly way in mind.
    If the Franklin Boundary and Powerline tracks are open, could make for a nice way to get back to the hwy.

ian.c likes this.
  8. Paddler Ed

Paddler Ed Active Member

Sorry, missed the Great Divide bit...

Oxley Wild Rivers area I'd stay at Cracknback Camspsite - Farmstay type accomodation right down on the rivers edge downstream of Georges Junction. Cheaper than the pay National Park sites, and has showers and flush toilets. I'd also look at Styx State Forest (Wattle Flat Campground)

Guy Fawkes has both Chaelundai and Dalmorton campgrounds that are on the rivers edge - there's a good route from the Old Glen Innes road over to Point Lookout area, which I posted in another thread.

Lastly check out the Woolgoolga Offroad blog/website, he's got lots of information on the greater Coffs Hinterland (and a bit up into the Northern Tablelands)

Hope that helps a bit,

Ed

Superdad likes this.
  9. Superdad

Superdad Active Member

Thanks all - much appreciated

10. Superdad

Superdad Active Member

Hey paddler. Just a note to say thanks. We stayed at cracknback for 5 nights and it is an awesome spot. Stunning river, plenty of tracks and really great hosts in Nicole and Steve.

Highly recommended spot for anyone in the area. We loved it and fish everywhere.

Mr Rum and Paddler Ed like this.