Change background image

Track 5 - How be a 4x4 Trip Leader

Discussion in 'Podcast Episodes' started by Patriot, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Patriot

Patriot Super Moderator

80lover96gxl likes this.
  2. rogerazz

rogerazz 4x4 Earth Contributer

All good info. However in my opinion, I reckon a designated trip leader has a fair responsibility in making some effort to keep things safe. A different situation is if a few blokes decide to go for a drive up the tracks and everyone tags along or gets into it with no real leader as such.
    However , if someone is designated as the official trip leader say at an Annual Meet, then I reckon it does need that leader to know the area, familiarize themselves with each individual's experience, their vehicle, their equipment, etc. and make a decision as to the suitability of that person.
    I personally have seen some individuals head out on a trip, some with no real experience or understanding as to what they are getting into and unfairly expect that the trip leader will "lead them and save them, no matter what".
    I reckon these type of people would not have much of their own recovery equipment , let alone be able to help someone else.
    I call that, jumping in the deep end.
    When I was traveling through Robe S.A. recently, I spoke with one of the local caravan park owners. He told me that a tourist from his park had driven his 4wd onto the beach, down onto rocks, (about a meter or so drop) to the ocean, When he called for help he said, "I was told when I hired this 4wd it would go anywhere":eek:.

80lover96gxl likes this.
  3. chris_stoffa

chris_stoffa 4x4 Earth Contributer

And conversely there are those that think that as Team Leader they know it all, think that if they drive at the front thats all they need to do and actually make what could be a great drive turn sour.

There is good information in the podcast for not just the budding TL but for those that think they know it all as well............ but I doubt that they would take any notice anyway :rolleyes:

Great Info

4. G.T.

G.T. Member

In our wheeling group the trip leader is at the tail of the group.
    Vehicle with heaviest recovery kit in the middle-ish.
    Pathfinder/Navigator in front.

We also have a route brief before hand so that everyone knows what route we are taking, and what to expect. All planned stops are marked as well as bailouts for emergencies. Primary radio frequency agreed upon, as well as backup frequency. If leaving group you must inform leader so an unnecessary search and rescue effort doesn't take place.
    the USGS.gov website has geoPDF maps of entire country for free downloading. Multiple phone/tablet apps allow importation and printed editions are available. Everyone has at least the digital copies.
    Every vehicle gets a FRS/GMRS hands-talkie if they don't own one themselves. We have about a dozen extras that we have collected for this.
    "Pathfinder" rolls out when leader gets an affirmative from all drivers that they are ready. Leader in the back gives the "lets roll" broadcast.
    If you need help honk three times, call on radio. All will halt and work together to sort it out, take pictures of your goof, talk trash to you and so on.
    If you cannot see the car behind you, slow down until you can. Stop and call on radio if they are longer than expected delay. Pictures and attention to landscape as well as flora and fauna do cause slow downs from time to time.
    Bio breaks, boys to the right, girls to the left.
    Minimum of one rated recovery point front and rear.
    Carry minimum two shackles and a strap in each vehicle. We have extras for new people that we have collected for this.
    Absolutely no one in cars that are engaging in recovery. Everyone not directly involved must stay clear. None of us wants to explain to your loved ones how you perished during a recreational event.

I could go on but I reckon most of this lines up with what others do as well.

rogerazz likes this.
  5. Gavo

Gavo 4x4 Earth Contributer

All quite sensible stuff, but I'm not sure this one would work too well in a convoy on dusty roads.

G.T. and Mr Rum like this.
  6. G.T.

G.T. Member

Legitimate point and sensible adjustment have to be made to suit the current situation.