Change background image

Toyota training videos, still a lot that applies today

Discussion in 'Information For Newbies' started by Les PK Ranger, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

Ha, I thought they did well to make them so short !!
    Probably right, but I could sit through them and watch those old rigs every month no worries :)

ian.c likes this.
  2. ian.c

ian.c Well-Known Member

Great old videos Les, I've never seen them before, those shots on Moreton show driving on the dunes where all the tourists go sand tobogganing these days, no access for 4x4s anymore, only walk in with your board for good reason I suppose, but gee it looks like fun
    Even the drive up the dunes off the beach where they demonstrate how to pack sand under the wheels and gear selection would be a huge no no these days because it's not a formed/signed track and definitely would attract huge fines. Bugger. How times change.

Les PK Ranger likes this.
  3. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

Thought those dunes would be off limits now :/

We have them like that, even steeper, in at Beachport Buggy Club grounds down here on the Limestone Coast.
    We'll be going in there for a look at the SA Meet in March, have to remind the organisers to check if no events in that weekend, and get permission to go into them.

ian.c likes this.
  4. ian.c

ian.c Well-Known Member

Gee that would be worth a road trip, I will get down there one day :)

Les PK Ranger likes this.
  5. Noel Preston

Noel Preston Member

First time I have seen these videos and I find it hard to believe Toyota made them with my experience with Landcruisers and Toyota. Practically every warranty claim dismissed due to me having used them on rough roads. Got 2 years out of my 1976 swb bought new before it started to self destruct and foolishly bought a lwb diesel ute new in 1978, much better vehicle as I got 4 years out of it before it was beyond economical repair due to rust. Half the body was fibreglass when I sold it. Guess how many toyotas I have had since and I have had a total of 9 4x4s.

6. ian.c

ian.c Well-Known Member

Gee rusted in 4 years, must have seen lots of salt or mud, the early Toyotas did suffer from rust but only because they weren't rust proofed, prepped, washed or repaired when chipped or when the first sign of rust appeared, I've seen plenty of 40 year old Toyo chassis in top condition , mine is 28 years old and not a spot of rust. I've also had 2 that have rusted away, but after both had done years of beach work and massive kms towing trailers.
    Either you drove them vehicles bloody hard with little or no maintenance or you copped two lemons in a row, which can happen in any make or model.

7. Noel Preston

Noel Preston Member

The first one came apart at the outrigger for the rear spring front mount, the panel beneath the doors cracked and the cracks continued to work higher. The springs sagged but it was all my fault. No beach work, lap around Oz, a trip up the cape and many other trips. Maintenance was spot on. Second one, no beach work but I did move to Caloundra in 1980. No rust in the chassis but the front guards were the first to go replaced with fibreglass units, then the grille panel, next was the panel where the radio aerial was mounted, then the roof had a series of holes, probably a dozen or more which I was going to replace with a fibreglass unit but discovered the styleside body was coming apart at the spot welds so I pissed it off. Sagged springs again and Toyota claimed not to have any ride height measurements. Alternator failed when I was away so I called the dealer to let him know and that by the time I took the vehicle in on Monday it would be a couple of hundred kms out of warranty. When I turned up he said you are correct, you are out of warranty. Both Landcruisers were looked after as far as serving etc. Each time I unbolted any body work off the ute it was not painted, only undercoat. The front guards rusted at the support panel in the centre of the guard. I've not experienced any such problems with the 7 other 4x4s I have owned.

ian.c likes this.
  8. ian.c

ian.c Well-Known Member

Fair enough Noel, I definitely agree about saggy springs that still were crappy in the 60series and the roof rust is the biggest killer of early Toyotas . As you say lots of undercoat without paint under panels means rusting from the inside out, I spent a lot of time and money fixing the above issues during a full resto, I'm hoping to keep the rust at bay for quite some years, hopefully :)
    BTW I can't stand car salesmen, dealers, it's a shame you weren't looked after, I can't understand why any company would want you to spread the bad word for decades rather than fix issues that would cost them bugger all.:rolleyes:
    And it still goes on today by most car manufacturers and their dealers as I've noticed reading numerous threads here :rolleyes:

80lover96gxl and MyCrazy80 like this.
  9. jacnden

jacnden Well-Known Member

Really great videos les.
    Must admit I've never thought to jack a wheel from the hubs. And the star pickets to winch off is interesting
    And back to the original post, it's still relevant today for newbies and not so newbies

ian.c and Les PK Ranger like this.