Change background image

Toyota Hilux dual cab 1986

Discussion in 'My 4WD' started by dudelux, Jan 10, 2010.

1. tna racing

tna racing New Member

i've got the same break set up as u! ive had nothing but issues

2. dudelux

dudelux New Member

The rears are stock Lux drums, the fronts are off a LN106 Lux, vented discs and bigger calipers, the brake booster and master cylinder are from an early 80series Cruiser.
    They work great, in fact, the brakes now are the best Ive ever had since Ive owned it.
    Im very happy with the way they are working right now.

You can adjust the pushrod at the top of the brake pedal, and see if that helps, or, you can pull the master cylinder away from the booster and adjust the pushrod there.
    I did both.

I got my 200mm rear shackles today, and also bought an engine crane.
    Engine swap is getting very close now.:D:D

3. dudelux

dudelux New Member

New engine is here now, just need to collect some random pieces to make it fit and work sweet, then I can start working on it.
    Hope to have it all done by early Jan.

New suspension front and rear,
    New engine and driveline,
    Power steering and Histeer.
    New tray and front bar, sliders, possibly exo to protect my investments.

Should be like a new car, apart from the cab, which has some rust, so when I can find a dual cab shell in good condition, Ill be replacing that too.

4. dudelux

dudelux New Member

As I posted above, the new power plant is here and waiting to go in, I just need a bunch of important parts to make it all fit nicely, and work properly.
    Heres a couple of pics for you....

This is my parts corner, in amongst it all, is my Supra 5speed box, bolted to a Lux transfer case, with a CRS bellhousing on it, 2 different radiators(one from a75series that has been modified to suit Hilux, the other is an alloy Commodore one with twin thermos), theres also custom front and rear driveshafts, spare front guards, IFS power steering set up from a 4runner, bucket seats from a wrecked Nissan, a set of extractors and exhaust to suit the diesel engine(which I dont need now).
    Theres more than that in there, but its a mess to get into.
    [​IMG]

And now pics of the new engine for the old truck.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its an injected 5litre V8 from a Statesman, 304.

It has Marks Adaptors Hilux engine mounts and custom extractors already fitted, and a rear sump from a HQ, so it wont hit on the histeer arms, and at the moment it has Gilmer pulleys on it, Ill be selling the pulleys and belt so I can fit vee pulleys to it.

I need to get a complete wiring harness for it, some v-pulleys and belts from a 308, fuel lift pump, surge tank, high pressure fuel pump, engine driven fan from a VK 6cyl, some other random pieces to make it all work and fit nicely.
    I also need a pulley made up to suit the IFS power steering so I can run my histeer.

So I guess Ill be a very busy boy for a while.

I do have deadlines for it all.
    I would like the suspension done(RYF/IFS rears) by the end of Jan, and the engine and driveline all done and engineered by the time the Hilux meet comes around, which is late May.
    I think they are realistic deadlines, even for me.

5. dudelux

dudelux New Member

Just to update my slow progress.

I have a 2Lt surge tank on its way.
    I have also ordered all the wiring I will need, computer, ignition module, pwr steering pump, alternator and all vee pulleys.
    I will be ordering a Goss fuel lift pump and a Bosch 044 high pressure fuel pump tomorrow.

I should be talking to my mate at the wreckers tomorrow about the V6 fuel filler neck and handbrake setup. The handbrake on mine goes through the firewall and apparently the V6 handbrake doesnt.

Then its just the exhaust and clutch slave and master cylinders that I will have to sort out.
    The exhaust will obviously need to be custom, and the clutch stuff I will sort when I get to it.

My new front shackles should be here soon, so at least I can get the suspension done.
    Front suspension will be RUF(rears up front) with shock hoops, dropped crossmember, ext shackles, and my Bilstein shockies.
    Rear suspension will be IFS rears(rear springs rom an IFS Lux) with ext shackles, inverted rear shock mounts and maybe a track bar, and Bilstein shocks.

Then, once the engine is in and running, I can get the IFS power steering box mounted, and fit the histeer.

I still have a very long way to go.

But at least its underway.

6. dirtfix

dirtfix New Member

Nice lux! Kinda reminds me of my old girl.

7. NIAL8R

NIAL8R New Member

nice Lux mate, im putting the same motor in my LX Torana but will be a 383 stroker :D have you got your hands on a harness yet ?? i have some numbers you might want to finish your conversion. let me know and keep up the good work :D

opps just seen in your last post that you have sorted out the loom and so on, maybe my speed reading is so good after all :eek:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  8. dudelux

dudelux New Member

Thanks for the comments guys.
    I didnt order a Bosch 044 HP fuel pump, I got a MSD HP fuel pump for bugger all, so thats on the work bench next to my Goss fuel lift pump, and my 2L surge tank.

Wiring, all pulleys and other engine bits are on their way.

I have to clean out the shed so I can get all my parts out of the corner and see what I have, and more importantly, what I still need to get.

I have to pick up a V64runner handbrake on the weekend to go in.

I have been told to leave doing the RUF and IFS rears until after the engine is in, that way, I can fit the pwr steer and hi-steer all at the same time.

If I do RUF and IFS rears now, I will need to buy a dropped draglink and possibly make up a front driveshaft from RHS.

9. mattyj

mattyj New Member

looks good and your having fun just what i like to see :)

10. vlt88

vlt88 New Member

Nice ride mate

cant wait to see it with the v8

11. dudelux

dudelux New Member

Went out wheeling last weekend with a big bunch of others, out to The Watagans, on my way there, I had the engine fuse blow, and I had no spares with me, so I used the wiper fuse to run the engine, on my way to get some more fuses, it started raining, no wipers:). By the time I had made it to the servo to get more fuses, and fitted the wiper fuse again, the rain had stopped.
    But the lux went good last weekend, did Creek Rd and a couple of other tracks.

12. dudelux

dudelux New Member

I had so much fun last weekend, that I went out again today, with about 5 other trucks, out to The Watagans again, we did Dope Hill, CPT80, Bulleys Shelf, 2 tracks that ome off Saw Pit Rd, and another track at the Dooralong end.
    No engine issues today, everything worked great, the Swampers were at 14psi today, and were fantastic.
    Only damage to the Lux was from one of the tyres doing some panel work to the passenger side guard.

Heres some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is the damage to my passenger side guard, caused by the sidelugs on the Swampers getting hold of the guard, and folding it up and under itself. I just pulled it out, and fitteed a new cable tie, now its good as new again.

[​IMG]

13. NIAL8R

NIAL8R New Member

love the pic's mate, looks like you had a blast :D

14. dudelux

dudelux New Member

Yeah, it was a geat day out, I learnt alot from driving with the other people.
    I drove up tracks that looked like I wouldnt be able to.
    Im learning more and more each time I head out, and sometimes scaring myself each time too.

15. dudelux

dudelux New Member

Im weighing up some options at the moment, and I need some advice.

I already have just about all I need to do the engine swap and start trying to get it running, theres bound to be some stuff I still need to get, and a custom exhaust and to get it engineered as well.
    The engine is going to be real thirsty, and it IS driven everyday. And the V8 isnt a big fan of water.

So I had a thought yesterday while wheeling, maybe I could sell off my V8 conversion gear, and spend the money fitting a turbo to my diesel instead.
    It would save alot of hassle, and time, and money, it wouldnt need engineering, I already have a set of extractors and 2 1/4inch exhaust to suit my diesel sitting in the shed.

I could use the money made from selling the V8 gear, to fund the turbo kit, and then I could just fit the pwr steering, and hi-steer. It would probably be alot easier.
    I could also use the money to buy me some lockers too.

If I go this way, then Ill have a very capable rig off road, that isnt as painful to drive on the road, and it wont cost much more to run everyday than it does now.

I know that some people have fitted aftermarket turbos to the 2.4d and they have had an increase in power, making it nicer to drive.
    I know a diesel mechanic as well, so Ill have to talk to him before I decide on anything.

What do you lot think??

I know Ill probably cop a bit of shit for changing my mind after Ive bought all this stuff for the swap, but Ive already heard it from Mrs D.

I just love the torque of the diesel, it crawls so nicely, it just needs more power when Im travelling on the road, and Im over changing back gears when going up hills.

Post your opinions.................
    ................. now

16. Mongrel Lux

Mongrel Lux New Member

Just DO IT. Go the Turbo Diesel. No it wont have the power of a V8, but it will run under water ( no electrics to get wet ) & you can drive a gear higher than the std N/A diesel, I'ld also recomend a 2.5" custom sports exhaust ( bigger & straighter so it breaths better), Low down torque's great & the other benifits you've already mentioned.

You will loose the extractors when the windwill gose in & ya don't need them, so ya could sell them also. & go series 5 DETROIT Lockers Font & Rear same price as ARB air locker but no compressor needed, no air lines electrics -fuses to fail, hands free, no wheel spin ( unless you loose traction on ALL 4 WHEELS at the same time ), no affect on steering at all, more control down hill as well. Done 300,000 kms on my Detroits.

Awesome pics, love'em

Mal

17. dudelux

dudelux New Member

Thanks Mal, Im going front and rear Lockrights, as I can get them cheap with 4.8s in the diffs.
    Then 4.7s in the transfer case.

And with the RUF and IFS rears, pwr steering and hi-steer, I should be a happy chapy.

18. Mongrel Lux

Mongrel Lux New Member

That'll work also. The Lockrights are great lockers but ya get a bit of under steer with full power some times mainly when going up hill round corners, so back off a wee bit going into a corner going up hill & they're fine. No such probs with the Detroits but the Lockrights are 1/2 the price & work well. You've got an AWESOME rig there:) Well done

Mal

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  19. dirtfix

dirtfix New Member

Mate i have owned 2 gen 2 Hilux 2.4 diesel dual cabs and i have turboed both of them. Its a must have! I reckon single handedly THE best mod i have done to either of them. Increses your power by almost 50% INSTANTLY with nothing more to do other than a dump pipe and exhaust. And locrites are cool, just affect the steering a fair bit on the sketchy decents and they do tend to torque steer when fitted to the front. I have run mine in the rear only and they go just about anywhere. But definately fit a turbo, you will be stoked! V8s are for show ponies, and they hate the water. Turbo and hi steer for the win!

20. Big Matt

Big Matt New Member

I can vouch for how well twin detroits work in mals (mongrel lux) truck. Never had a lot to do with lockrites so can't say anything there
    Know a few people who have done turbo kits onto their lux's and not one regrets it. At the same time I know a guy who did a commo v6 lux and sold it inside 2 months to buy an already turboed lux
    So yeah go the turbo diesel, I would