Change background image

The Simpson - My First Epic Aussie Trip

Discussion in 'SA Trip Reports' started by Zamunda, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

I always believed, to truly connect with a place, one has to travel to its heart, experience the land, learn about its history, people, cultures, traditions, flora and fauna. Until you have done this, you are just a tourist passing through.

Australia's heart lies in the outback and I am grateful for the experience I had over the past 11 days travelling through the outback, it's towns, some with populations as little as 10 to some amazing landscapes dating back millions of years.

I met some wonderful people along the way who welcomed me to their local watering holes and shared a little bit of their life stories with me.

The outback has certainly left a lasting impression in my heart. I will certainly be going back soon.

Being relatively new to my new home - Australia, this was my very first epic trip to connect with this wonderful country. A few mates and I travelled Adelaide-Coober Pedy(2 nights)-Oondnadatta(1 night)-Dalhousie Springs(2 nights)-Mt Dare(1 day)-Simpson(3 nights)-Birdsville(1 night)-Pt Pirie(1 night)-Adelaide.

Duncan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Grippy, Rags90mod, underdog and 16 others like this.
  2. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great first adventure. Thanks for sharing.
    Awesome photos.
    Tink

Zamunda likes this.
  3. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

@Tink Thanks very much. It certainly was a great adventure.

4. 2002GU3

2002GU3 Active Member

DITTO- what Tink said

Zamunda likes this.
  5. Chris.

Chris. Member

Totally agree mate... & nothing beats spending time with the First Australians experiencing their wonderful culture. Great photos too, well done.

80lover96gxl likes this.
  6. BIGCOL

BIGCOL Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that mate, great pics and it is good to see a new Australian appreciating our great country. So many Aussies who have been born here and whose families have been here for generations haven't done what you have, and many do not understand the beauty of the outback. Well done you for making the effort and to understand what you experienced.
    Congrats,

Col.

callmejoe, underdog and Zamunda like this.
  7. BarKer

BarKer Active Member

Nice pub that.. And they had Dr Tims so that is always a bonus...

Zamunda and oldlux like this.
  8. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Fantastic photo's and great write up.

So much more to see and experience out in our remote regions of Australia that, as Col said many won't get to , or are not intetested in experiencing.
    Good on ya for getting out there, hope it's the first of many great adventures for you in this country.

Thanks for sharing.

BIGCOL and Zamunda like this.
  9. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

@Chris. Thanks mate. The outback is where Australia's roots are. It's the sacrifices made that has got us here.

10. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

@BIGCOL Thanks very much. I spent my life in a number of countries growing up as my folks moved around a fair bit. My parents used always say things like - "when in Rome become a Roman, that's when you appreciate what it means to be a Roman."

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    Grippy, BIGCOL, Albynsw and 1 other person like this.
  11. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

Everything tastes good in outback pubs :D

Albynsw and richardlnsw like this.
  12. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

@80lover96gxl Mate you have no idea how long my bucket list is :D

richardlnsw likes this.
  13. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth
    It amazes me in these little outback towns as they could serve you anything really as there is usually no competition or alternate place to dine and yet they always serve up a great feed

Cruiser John and Zamunda like this.
  14. oldlux

oldlux Well-Known Member

Daughter in-law was not happy with the menu at Noccundra or I think that was the problem the other possibility was the way the son and I were licking our lips as we strode, no make that sprinted up to the bar.

Cruiser John and Albynsw like this.
  15. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

:D

16. Cruiser John

Cruiser John Member

Be careful, once the outback gets into your blood there is no limit to where will find yourself.

Mr Rum and Zamunda like this.
  17. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

@Cruiser John I am already feeling the effects mate :D

BIGCOL and Cruiser John like this.
  18. SimonM

SimonM New Member

Great adventure and great photo's. The Simpson is one place I am looking forward to going back to.

Zamunda likes this.
  19. Zamunda

Zamunda Active Member

Me too. Fell in love with the outback and the Simpson.

SimonM likes this.
  20. maddon

maddon Active Member

not long got back from over that way / been away for six weeks and 14 thousand klms / from sydney to lightening ridge went to noccunndra / at thargomindah all the roads were open and through the rain to noccundra by the time we got there all the roads to cameron corner were closed / stayed the night at the waterhole / change of plans / to go around the rain we ended up doing a night run to haddons corner via windorah / that was fun / what a magic place to wake up in / then off to birdsville before the big red bash / blew a new tyre to bits / had fun driving all over big red / great fun and never thought the little car could do it / just the beginning of our road trip to darwin / if you want to hear more - let me know blah blah

Mr Rum, Zamunda and oldlux like this.