Change background image

Subaru Forester v Hyundai Santa Fe

Discussion in 'Information For Newbies' started by 6speedmanual, Feb 8, 2015.

1. tankbloke

tankbloke 4x4 Earth Contributer

Congrats mate. Enjoy.:)

2. ULost2

ULost2 Well-Known Member

plenty of standard cars drive to and around Mungo. I have been there in a falcon and a comadore.
    As Aaron said; clearance is a big drama/failing of most modern vehicles

3. ULost2

ULost2 Well-Known Member

there was talk some time ago that a soft/light 4x4 /suv/ section might be added to the forum. With more of those vehicles being owned and some going off the black stuff that section is really needed imo. I haven't found such a forum yet so it could be come popular. Maybe someone would like to start an aust one, not everyone want/needs a hard core 4x4.

Enjoy your travels; hopefully you will keep us posted to how it goes off the bitumen.
    Some idiot put the steering wheel on the wrong side so I moved to where it should be :rolleyes: 2016-hyundai-santa-fe-2-2.jpg

Albynsw likes this.
  4. 6speedmanual

6speedmanual New Member

They opened the roads to Mungo National Park last week, so i took it 4 a quick spin of about 200km in and around the park and back out again. Easy. No big slopes , ruts. No need to engage 4wd lock or activate hill descent control. Left the computer to do torque vectoring. yes, i probably could have done it in my old 2wd car.

5. 6speedmanual

6speedmanual New Member

Over the school holidays, i took the Santa Fe on a bit of a trip from Victoria to South Australia, Northern Territory up to 3 ways, then across the Barkly to Queensland, down to NSW and back. Used the Santa Fe to go to offroad campsite near Yulara with a view of both Uluru and Kata Tjuta. Sandy dunes. Had to turn off ETC and engage 4wd lock to make the 2nd dune.

Airstrike and tankbloke like this.
  6. 6speedmanual

6speedmanual New Member

Went up to the Tip of Cape York. Felt doable by 2wd except maybe the small puddle of water about 10 km from the Tip on Pajinka road

7. Airstrike

Airstrike Member

Tip of cape york in a Hyundia?! damm man. You got pics?
    I didn't know how capable they were, I got a Forester myself and it's quite capable with sand and rocky tracks, it's just the lack of snorkels available affects his ability to do water crossings which is a must for Cape York

8. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

Not if you stick to the roads. There's no reason any car couldn't make the drive.
    In fact, there are plenty of regular cars up there. Not as many as four wheel drives, but they're not a rare sight.

I've only recently come back from a trip to Cape York, and even the puddles we encountered on the road to the tip were only deep in the centre of the road.
    Knowing what I do now, I'd happily take a small car up there.
    What I'd consider more of a concern would probably be wheel size and tyres. Road tyres will do, but low profile rubber on big alloys wouldn't mix well with the roads.

Airstrike likes this.
  9. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

It depends on time of year and rainfall received as well as some of the crossings can be quite deep

Mr Rum likes this.
  10. ShaunOz

ShaunOz Active Member

Congrats on the new car mate!

11. 6speedmanual

6speedmanual New Member

RBJET, tankbloke and Mr Rum like this.
  12. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

I suppose another thing to consider is the gvm of the soft off roader

How much can your really pack for your off road trips