Change background image

Rhino Pioneer Platform

Discussion in 'MU' started by Mud_x, May 14, 2017.

1. Mud_x

Mud_x Member

Rhino Pioneer Platform Has anyone fitted one? Interested to know what the quality is like and what hight it sits above the roof ( I have clearance issues with garage door) how much clearance is there with the antenna, does it effect reception?

2. Runnamux

Runnamux New Member

I have one fitted to the LST rails. It sits quite high, I'd recommend getting the rails removed and fitting to the tracks. I don't mind the height too much as I have an awning mounted below the level of the rack. Quality is great, poly/ alloy combo means no rust and there are lots of (expensive) mounting options from rhino. My radio reception is fine but could be better at times, not sure if that has anything to do with the rack.

3. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

I've got one fitted to my NS Pajero. Couldn't be happier with it, quality is good - the only paint loss has been at the front from stone chips, but there is no sign of corrosion.
    It's done some rough trips with heaps of stuff in it and never looked like being a problem at any time.
    Height wise it has increased our overall height by about 100mm, so not too bad - and that is to the top of the Foxwing, which is a little higher than the rack itself.
    Depending on your exisiting arrangement, you may not be able to fix it directly to the tracks - that wasn't an option with the Pajero.

4. callmejoe

callmejoe Active Member

Got 1 on the y62.
    Great quality etc etc bar that i hate it.
    Give me back a flat tradies rack any day.
    The platform are very sensitive on how you put things on. Odd shape stuff can become annoying. Fire wood on top is the worse. All the crap falls into the grooves making it hard to move your eyelets. Oh which you'll also have to buy. I also find mine noisey.
    They look good. Got all the bits a pieces to go with it bar far from cheap add on. Well an truely over rated.

5. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

You see, I prefer the Pioneer style as the sides help hold things in the rack...
    I have a zip up canvas bag for mine which is great, so I don't lose stuff into the tracks, but I don't carry firewood either.
    The only noise I've noticed with mine is when the bag broke a strap and started to flap.

6. Boots33

Boots33 New Member

I am also looking for a new flat rack. Have been looking at both the Rhino Pioneer and also the Rola Titan Tray. The Titan seems to have more accessory mounting slots but the Pioneer has a better range of sizes. Would be interested in any info on either.

7. 99pc chimpanzee

99pc chimpanzee Active Member

Hi,i have rhino pioneeer tradie racks on dual cab one on cab and one on canopy.One is fitted to rhino tracks that are pop riveted to cab which run from front to back of cab the other is fitted to the rails that came with canopy both use crossbars
    I too wanted a rail on the side for tying/barrier so went tradie instead of platform.
    The rhino accesories are awesome there are mounts and brackets for anything you can imagine,and you can easily spend as much on these as the cost of a whole rack,most come with security type allen key bolts which is some comfort.
    Had to bend the crapt out of the areial and there is some interference now on AM band.
    A trick i had to use for some bolts was to use a bit of old fan belt in the mounting tracks to give enough lift so nuts from top would take.
    Height can be variable depending on which combo of rails/tracks you have to use.
    Cheers

Boots33 likes this.
  8. Boots33

Boots33 New Member

I am stuck for clearance getting into the garage so have to go the flat rack so it can be left on. The Rola has Bolt on side rails available so I could add rails for trips etc. What size did you end up fitting on the cab.
    Yes the mounts seem a bit dear for both brands but are a good way to get the recovery items sorted.
    I will have problems with my aerial as well it will run right into the front of the tray.

9. 99pc chimpanzee

Yeah two of the smallest ones 1328x1236,have also broken all the rules and connected the cab to canopy with awning and pvc "Bazooka",have done some trips and all is well so far.
    Like the sound of bolt on sides,sounds like that your only option with garage heights.
    The aerials are very flexible when they have to be,i tired insulating it and foam pads where it touches rack,didnt work,,,,,tho that being said i installed a narva two way cigarette adapter also and am not sure it doesnt have a role in interference.

10. Hotdog

Hotdog Active Member

I'm with the problem of height. I got the tradie and I should have got just the platform.
    I to wanted something sturdy to tie of to. Now I can't leave it on and get into my garage and there could be a risk at the work carpark.
    So I'm in the process of contacting Rhino to see if I can replace the sides and convert it. If not I may have to hit it with the saw.

11. Boots33

Boots33 New Member

Yes i'm starting to lean that way, hope the quality is there though.

12. Boots33

Boots33 New Member

They just don't make buildings high enough! For me the flat rack is my only choice. I have a basket that goes on the canopy but only fit that for trips. I now want a rack that i can add my recovery gear to for day trips etc. Don't want to have to remove it all the time though.

13. 99pc chimpanzee

I am sure you could replace the sides with platform ones,as they all come to bits and clip/screw together.

14. 99pc chimpanzee

You can buy those eyelet accessories or the boat type ones for tying to the platform tray,they/ll work as good as the rail

15. Boots33

Boots33 New Member

Yep I think they will be the go. Buggers don't give them away either, stainless at least.

16. 99pc chimpanzee

Aerial bend DSC00200.JPG

17. Pikey mux

Pikey mux New Member

I was in ARB today looking at getting a pioneer platform sorted for my LST. I too have clearance issues with the work carpark so rail removal is a must. I could have sworn that rhino had a mounting option that used the bolt holes from factory LST rails without having to rivet in a new track to the roof (this is one of the reasons I went the LST to be honest)? Anyone know what happened with that? would prefer to avoid drilling holes in the roof of a new car if possible.